Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just bought another house. patch has been in our current house since we got him at 12 weeks old (April of 09). My current setup is a fenced in yard and walk out basement, the new place has neither.

Thinking about trying the eletrice fence (wireless one) because the thought of keeping him on a run I dont like since he's been free to roam his whole life. I know I could just let him out for short bathroom breaks but for any length of time out there he will get to curious and wander off. Any input would be great, thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I wouldn't trust an electric fence, at all. Easier to steal your pup, they don't always work, they won't stop other dogs from getting onto your property = trouble, children can have free access to your pup = trouble, etc. Beautiful pup!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I agree I wouldnt trust the electric fence either , we have a stubborn breed if they want something bad enough they will go for it. Id say just save up and fence in the yard properly or use a dog run or a good chain set up for now. Leashes work great too ;).

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
yeah I would just keep him company when outside if you don't have a kennel set up now. Check craigslist and what not a kennel or fenced in area would be cheaper than an invisible fence and you don't have to worry about things getting in your yard or him really loving something and going for it pain and all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think its wrong to put Patch on a run or tie-out after he's had the run of a fenced in yard for the last 3 yrs, I may not have a choice until I can fence at least a small portion of the yard, backyard is over an acre cant afford to fence that whole thing. Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
No I don't think it's wrong.But I do think he will need to adjust to it.He'll probably whine and bark alot at first until he gets used to it.
And then you still have the risk of other things or people getting into the yard at him if it's not fenced in.
If you're home to periodically check on him while outside on the run then I would think it would be ok.But while not home I wouldn't leave him out there

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're home to periodically check on him while outside on the run then I would think it would be ok.But while not home I wouldn't leave him out there
Ok Thanks, yeah when were not home I leave him in a 5x10 kennel in the basement, ill do the same at the new house, but I'd let him out in the morning an hour before work then would let him play in the yard from 5p-8p (after work) until we bring him into sleep for the night, so just skip trying to train him with the invisble fence and give a 40ft tie out a try?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Using a chain set up built properly is a great way to safely keep a dog. Just make sure there is nough room and no place to wraparound or get hung up on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts