Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in South Central Los Angeles and for those who don't know we have a huge pitbull population, both stray and house dogs. I've never really heard of multipit household concerns or crate/rotate and things of that sort until I got to these forums. We have an 8 month pitbull male and we got recently a 3 month puppy. Since I was young I've always known people in the area to have multiple pitbulls. A neighbor recently added a puppy to his 2 female household. Everyone I've spoken to has their dogs together in the backyard and says the same thing "we've had them as puppies and have had them for years they get along just fine."

Honestly, does anyone else have any other positive experiences with multipit households whether it be themselves or others? I can't walk down my street without seeing 2-3 pits behind a wrought iron gate or a regular pack of them down the street together. I'm not trying to debate any of the information or argue with what's on here, but I'm just curious as to why this might be? It's interesting to read all the things on the board, I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
The main thing is. They may(probably aren't) real APBT. They're probably mixes, possibly bullies. I have a pitbull type dog. He is dog reactive but gets along fine with my other 2 dogs(5 yrs and roughly 8months). Yes typically if you have a real APBT they're more than likely going to be DA. Any breed can be. Our heeler mix is. But she's fine if introduced as puppies. DA sets in generally around maturity. But it can show sooner or a bit later than that. It depends on the dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Hmm...do you think it's that common to have a pitbull "type" dog vs an actual APBT?
Around here it is. Idk how other places are but, a lot of the "pits" come from bybs and the humane society who label any dog with a blocky head as an APBT. Not an APBT mix, but an APBT. Most of the people I talk to don't have any kind of pedigree for their dog aside from seeing the parents. They don't know bloodlines or anything. I assume, most of the dogs are not real APBT.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I also want to add that my sisters dogs do not have papers, therefore their history is unknown. I'm convinced her blue male is a bully, the classic class one. I only say that bc he is the complete opposite of her female. My sisters female and my APBT are very similar. From looks, to temperament and both are DA around certain dogs. But each dog is an individual and depends on the dog

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Hmm...do you think it's that common to have a pitbull "type" dog vs an actual APBT?
Its actually more common for the average dog owner to have a "pit bull type" dog than an actual APBT or something close to it.

I have both. A blue mutt and APBTs. My mutt is less balls to the wall dog aggressive and can sometimes be trusted with other fixed non DA dogs, the APBT can never be, ever.

With any bully breed mix of unknown lineage its best to err on the side of caution and be wary of the possible instances of DA showing up upon maturing, or anytime there after because some turn on very late in life. Also be careful and never leave the dogs out unsupervised because even if they arent DA if a fight breaks out these types of dogs can do a lot of damage in a very short period of time, so if you arent watching them or right there keep them separated. Another thing, in multi bully breed households you should have break sticks around the house and know how to use them, just in case.

Yes a nice multidog household or "pack" can be formed with the right dogs that have the right temperaments, but never expect them NOT to fight and never leave them alone unsupervised.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Very very few people at are regular pet owners would have an APBT. Most people have mixed dogs and randomly bred dogs not purebred animals that fit the characteristics of a breed. Just because these dogs look like APBTs it doesn't make them APBTs. Many people also claim to have purebred dogs yet do not and actually have a dog to which they have not a single clue how it it breed, but want to claim it is pure as it makes them in some way some cooler or something.

To add to this even if you do have multiple pitbull type dogs together and they are fine as puppies it takes one time for you to be gone and that dog aggression to kick in and you have a dead dog. EVERY single person whose dog has died that way at one point had dogs that "were raised together and did just fine".... Until they didn't... To many people like to wait and see a dog get aggressive and attack another dog before using their human brain and making a life style that is suited to the pet they choose to own.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Very very few people at are regular pet owners would have an APBT. Most people have mixed dogs and randomly bred dogs not purebred animals that fit the characteristics of a breed. Just because these dogs look like APBTs it doesn't make them APBTs. Many people also claim to have purebred dogs yet do not and actually have a dog to which they have not a single clue how it it breed, but want to claim it is pure as it makes them in some way some cooler or something.

To add to this even if you do have multiple pitbull type dogs together and they are fine as puppies it takes one time for you to be gone and that dog aggression to kick in and you have a dead dog. EVERY single person whose dog has died that way at one point had dogs that "were raised together and did just fine".... Until they didn't... To many people like to wait and see a dog get aggressive and attack another dog before using their human brain and making a life style that is suited to the pet they choose to own.
Good post Holly (good to see you around a bit more lately too.)

I will add that I have my mutt (or pet bull as I like to call him) which lives in relative harmony with my herding dog mutt as well as my American Bully puppy. I do NOT however leave them alone unattended. They all have separate crates which they are confined to while we are at work and all interaction between the three is only while we are present to intervene should an issue arise.

I discovered in the last year or so that my pet-bull-mutt-thing switches into prey drive mode when another animal is in distress. He is 6 years old and prior to an incident last summer involving a roommate's puppy (no dogs or puppies were harmed) had never shown an ounce of aggression towards another animal. Dog, cat or otherwise. I was watching our former roommate's husky pup and she had residual dew claws on her back feet. One of them snagged a blanket and she began crying. Loki went crazy eyed at the sound of her cries and lunged for her. Had I not been there to intervene it wouldn't have ended well for the pup.

You just never know what triggers exist in your dogs until the situation is put to the test and you sure as heck don't want that situation to occur while you're not there! Moral: yes, dogs can co-exist within reason but please be aware that aggression of any kind can come on at any time so always supervise your dogs' interactions with each other.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts

Great post!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the posts. i just got back from a walk and in a 1 block radius i counted 4 homes with 2+ free roaming, unattended pits. this doesn't include the many others with a single pit or the ones with multiple dogs i couldn't see behind the iron backyard gates. you can imagine that someone such as myself would find it pretty odd reading all the information on here given the surrounding environment. it's all new to me and i'm just ingnorant of things.

nobody that i know claims to have pure bred dogs, they're all just called "pitbulls." here people are still in that craze of breeding for color and so forth.
you'll find good dogmen though scattered throughout the hood. there's a popular place nearby in compton where people commonly sell and post ads for papered apbts.

today some kids were walking up the street and asking each house for 30 bucks for a 3 week old female blue nose. that's the hood for you.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
thanks for all the posts. i just got back from a walk and in a 1 block radius i counted 4 homes with 2+ free roaming, unattended pits. this doesn't include the many others with a single pit or the ones with multiple dogs i couldn't see behind the iron backyard gates. you can imagine that someone such as myself would find it pretty odd reading all the information on here given the surrounding environment. it's all new to me and i'm just ingnorant of things.

nobody that i know claims to have pure bred dogs, they're all just called "pitbulls." here people are still in that craze of breeding for color and so forth.
you'll find good dogmen though scattered throughout the hood. there's a popular place nearby in compton where people commonly sell and post ads for papered apbts.

today some kids were walking up the street and asking each house for 30 bucks for a 3 week old female blue nose. that's the hood for you.
That's terrible. :( Not on my side of town but a few miles away in the rough part of Wichita you see a lot of that too. There is a motorcycle shop that has a little sign in the corner of their big sign that says they sell pit bull puppies for 50$.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts