Go Pitbull Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO was siting here talking with a friend of ours about the breed and DA especially how its a concern here with multiples and anyone else who owns multiples. We were going over about how we rotate dogs between crates and dog runs and kennels ect and all thats involved. He asked why we dont just get them the cages and let them all be together he seems to think they may bump cages a few times realize they cant do anything and get over it.
My feelings on this is I would still be on edge if they happened to get it off I think its a risk not needed ,{ i dont have experience with muzzles so not sure how easy a task this would be to get off} and I just think it would be stressfull would be like living with someone you hate so bad and having your hands tied behind your back lol. I know its not an option in my yard I just dont like the visual look of a dog in muzzle I think its bad for the breeds image { however I know its needed in some cases and can respect that , it has a place and time IMO} .
Was wondering what others thought of this and if anyone has tried this method or have experience with muzzles and what you saw behaviour wise from the dog wearing it , did they become more aggressive or did they seem defeated and calmed down ? does it efect them at all?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I don't see why anyone would want to muzzle a dog for an unnecessary reason. The dogs have no NEED to be together so why make them wear a muzzle just so they can be around each other?

No directly at you on this statement Angel.... It really irritates me when people get a DA breed and want to find ways to "make it work" when it comes to DA and other dogs. Plain and simple if you want your dogs to be buddies and hang out DON'T GET A DA BRED OF DOG! Again that is not directed at you, just an issue I have with people and these types of dogs concerning DA.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya see this same person who I have talked with about this breed numerous times is convinced its how you train them, wheni make a statement about no its in there blood there DNA its how they were bred and no matter how you train them its stillbound to come out at some point you cant train this out of them , he disagrees lol. Kinda frustrating . Iagree with the muzzle thing there are citys around here one on the island where my brother lives where they have muzzle laws in place I just couldnt live there I cant imagine having to put a muzzle on to walk my dog down the street its sad to me. Let alone doing it for a selfish reason. { again I do understand those cases where you NEED to muzzle your dog , just not everyday like this buddy suggested}

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't have nearly as many dogs as you two. My "yard" consist of 2 APBTs & 1 mini pincher mix (female) with a dog run to separate if needed. They are around each other most of the time except nite nite in the crates lol. The only one I ever put a muzzle on was my female apbt Cookie. The muzzle made her more aggressive & she managed to take it off in like 3 mins. If you have a actual kennel setup with 5+ dogs then I don't see the point. What if one takes the muzzle of and the other doesn't and gets attacked?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see thats what i thought , I have never muzzle dmy dogs EVER and dont plan on it , but i know when we used the cribbing cages on a couple of the horses at the barn they can get those off if they try hard enough wasnt sure if the muzzles would be the same and slip off. We used the halti on a couple dogs before and Rocky used to wriggle out of that really quick and it was pretty snug on his nose.
We are set up here for everyone to have there own place so it isnt like its an option here was just curious if others had this way of thinking and could explain it to me better cause i just didnt get it. Even if they were muzzled it isnt like it would all be good and relaxing there would be so much to worry about if one slipped off .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ya see this same person who I have talked with about this breed numerous times is convinced its how you train them, wheni make a statement about no its in there blood there DNA its how they were bred and no matter how you train them its stillbound to come out at some point you cant train this out of them , he disagrees lol. Kinda frustrating .
Yeah you are trying to train out years of DA...haha good luck. My Cookie shows the most DA and she is my most loyal so I let her know I do not allow that behavior at all. If she walks away from an annoying dog during walks she knows she will get her fav treat & toy. I reward them great for walking away from other dogs. She was actually attacked from behind by a beagle that got away from his handler smh. I kicked the beagle & picked cookie up. sucks but she is one of my kids too. Since then beagles are the only dogs that she will go crazy after

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I have a couple who just cant be together they seem fine with other dogs but just not eachother , for that reason I just dont interact with other dogs period it just isnt worth the risk I dont know who the next one they wont like will come along. I have girls who all seemed to get along until recently so it has really opened my eyes { should have known better , but I bought into they are fine havent been aggressive ever got too comfortable and let my guard down} Big mistake on my part so now im just noone is togther unless im there ontop of them and certain ones will never be together ever again , Its not in the training at all my dogs all listen great to me they never show aggression to people best pets ever for my kids but DA is just there. makes me mad when this buddy trys to make it out that i havent trained them well enough , how they wouldnt fight if I had been ontop of the training level. I kinda just turned my cheek to that convo now lol , he is right in his eyes and Im right in mine so will just have to agree to disagree then.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he pretty much doesnt understand wanting to keep them apart , feels they should be able to play LOL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Like you said...some may be able to play for a short time and others aren't. It depends on the dogs. My min pin mix doesn't play with any dogs ever lol she's a loner. You can only work on DA I don't think you can eliminate it

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
IMO that would only trigger more aggression,depending on the dog,cause they feel they can't protect themselves and act out more with them on.
At least the dogs I have seen were that way.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have 2 dogs, 1 Mastiff mix who is DA and an APBT who isn't. We had a serious incident. This is when we found out my Mastiff was DA. It was h*ll getting them apart. We started crate/rotate. After a period of time, my husband was careless and thought they could be together again. Boy was he fooled. My Mastiff ended up with 12 stitches and 3 months of healing. Now they are Never together. Placing a muzzle on a dog to keep them "together" only causes stress on the dog and more frustration. I choose to muzzle them in public on a walk for no other reason then so no one can say my dogs bit someone/animal and to go to the vets. Our crate/rotate system in our house is the use of baby gates. They learned they are a "no go" area and they honor it. Each dog has his own bedroom each one spends time in there to eat, play or have quiet time. When we leave, one is placed in "his" room while the other roams free. the one in the room has a baby gate placed across the doorway along with the door being closed. They each get free time to spend with the family and everyone is safe and happy.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Depends on the dog and the situation you put them in. For instance mine have to be muzzled when going to the vet or heavy traffic areas. One of my dogs is highly DA and HA the other is highly DA.. Both very reactive when it comes to dogs. Muzzles really don't change the behavior that much, fairly consistent. If i were to put them in a stressful situation than naturally being restricted this will cause a higher level of reaction vs not muzzled.

I wouldn't use (nor trust) putting muzzles on a dog just for the sake of letting them "live" together. Thats pretty idiotic and adding more stress on a dog than needed.

Crate and rotate works, cuts down on stress and ensures (At least as much as possible) that the dogs will be safe from each other. Why someone would want to increase the risk, add stress to their dogs for the sake of attempting what is already known to be a failure is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMO that would only trigger more aggression,depending on the dog,cause they feel they can't protect themselves and act out more with them on.
At least the dogs I have seen were that way.
Ya see I thought the same thing I know how my dogs dont like to be held back and holding them back can make them more excited I should say then if I were to casually let them meet , they dont tend to like restraints. So putting that on i would expect to see them act more aggitated and not be able to enjoy there time out together as this person seems to think they will lol.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
The only way to deal with DA is to keep the dogs out of each others faces. Crate and rotate is really the only way to avoid the issue. Theres a time and place for a muzzle. you may be able to handle your dog in public just fine around other dogs but to expect them to co exist with a muzzle is wishfull thinking.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 2 dogs, 1 Mastiff mix who is DA and an APBT who isn't. We had a serious incident. This is when we found out my Mastiff was DA. It was h*ll getting them apart. We started crate/rotate. After a period of time, my husband was careless and thought they could be together again. Boy was he fooled. My Mastiff ended up with 12 stitches and 3 months of healing. Now they are Never together. Placing a muzzle on a dog to keep them "together" only causes stress on the dog and more frustration. I choose to muzzle them in public on a walk for no other reason then so no one can say my dogs bit someone/animal and to go to the vets. Our crate/rotate system in our house is the use of baby gates. They learned they are a "no go" area and they honor it. Each dog has his own bedroom each one spends time in there to eat, play or have quiet time. When we leave, one is placed in "his" room while the other roams free. the one in the room has a baby gate placed across the doorway along with the door being closed. They each get free time to spend with the family and everyone is safe and happy.
Do you find you get a worse response from those walking by you when you have a muzzle on your dog? I always thought it was such a bad visual for the breed and always been so against them { other then those that truely need it , but im kinda on the belief if a dog is that aggressive it shouldnt be off the property} . I wish mine could get away with baby gates seperating them that wouldnt fly here at all they would be over under and through that gate before I could do anything im sure lol. Mine each have a crate for night time in various rooms where they each sleep with the exception of crush he sleeps in the bed or in the closet when he gets kicked out lol. Even if we leave I crate them all with the exception of 1. I had the experience { not with this breed} but we had left a dog in a bedroom one day for 2 hours while we had to run out and came home to the door chewed on the bottom and her running free so im not comfortable just leaving a door to seperate them lol although the baby gate on the closed door may help that situation for you.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only way to deal with DA is to keep the dogs out of each others faces. Crate and rotate is really the only way to avoid the issue. Theres a time and place for a muzzle. you may be able to handle your dog in public just fine around other dogs but to expect them to co exist with a muzzle is wishfull thinking.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe your friend was thinking in the sense of wolf/wild dog packs how they live together. IDK I just can't see 5-10 APBTs running freely on someone's yard. That's just asking for trouble. You should show him this thread

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
SO was siting here talking with a friend of ours about the breed and DA especially how its a concern here with multiples and anyone else who owns multiples. We were going over about how we rotate dogs between crates and dog runs and kennels ect and all thats involved. He asked why we dont just get them the cages and let them all be together he seems to think they may bump cages a few times realize they cant do anything and get over it.
My feelings on this is I would still be on edge if they happened to get it off I think its a risk not needed ,{ i dont have experience with muzzles so not sure how easy a task this would be to get off} and I just think it would be stressfull would be like living with someone you hate so bad and having your hands tied behind your back lol. I know its not an option in my yard I just dont like the visual look of a dog in muzzle I think its bad for the breeds image { however I know its needed in some cases and can respect that , it has a place and time IMO} .
Was wondering what others thought of this and if anyone has tried this method or have experience with muzzles and what you saw behaviour wise from the dog wearing it , did they become more aggressive or did they seem defeated and calmed down ? does it efect them at all?
yeah..... not at all smart or anything I would do......

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe your friend was thinking in the sense of wolf/wild dog packs how they live together. IDK I just can't see 5-10 APBTs running freely on someone's yard. That's just asking for trouble. You should show him this thread
ya I know right I havent seen anyone with large packs have them roaming free and never have a problem. I doubt he will see this thread but it will give me more facts and storys to share with him if he wants to bring this up again lol. Like I said he is probably stuck in his ways and I can only argue my side so much till its beatin up lol. Id have a hard time with a vet wanting me to muzzle my dog { the 24 hour vet here asks you too if you have a pitbull before you even walk in the office LOL} unless it is justifiably called for ,let alone muzzle my dog in its own home.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.