Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was walking my dog home the other day and my neighbor’s dog got out, I let go of my dog since I saw that he was flying towards me I also knew that if I did not let go of him he could not protect himself. My Pit is only 11 months the other dog is 4 years old no vaccines either. At first my dog taught that he was coming to play, I never taught my dog to go after other dog he is a good boy. Once the dog took a bite of his cheek he reacted from it and defended himself. I called the police on my neighbor since he also threatens me. I waited about 3 days to see how my dog would react to the dog bite he is acting weird for some reason he looks sad and looks like he is not happy also his appetite has dropped a whole lot. I took him out for a walk a couple of days ago he was acting normal happy he was also trying to scratch were he was bite. When I'm looking at the bite it looks really wet and with some pose coming out of it and its really swollen. Any opinions are welcome

I'm going to take him to the vets today just to make sure.

correction it was not a shit-zu it was a sharpei mix with rottie sorry

·
Registered
520 Posts
get him to the vet asap especially if you are aware that the other dog isnt taken care of and btw shit-zu/rottie never heard of or seen this mix i imagine it looks very odd

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i was trying to picture a shihtzu rotty cross....:hammer: anyways i would have taken him to the vet right after it happened..you dont know if that other dog had anything and transfered it to your dog and if your dog had any internal injuries..now you would be risking infection.
best thing to do is go to the vet

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
poor baby! take him to the vet! AND F**K a Shitzu/Rottie!!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Okay when another dog comes charging at you and your dog what do you do?

YOU PICK UP YOUR DOG

If it comes down to an arguement or a lawsuit -YOU- are the most likely one to be cited for the incident because of the breed of your dog. You should not have let go of his leash because the other person can then say your dog was loose and you where not in control of him. For future reference pick your dog up and walk away. Or even kick the other dog if it keeps coming at you. I would rather take a bite any day that have one of my dogs end up in a fight with a neighborhood dog, the pit bull will amost always be blamed for it wether they start it or not.

If the wound is swollen and pussing you need to take the dog to the vet, puss is a sign of an infection and it can spread pretty quickly. If you have some amoxacillian (sp) you can give him that also but get him to the vet still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sherpei- mix with rottie

Who ever tells me that I was wrong all i know is that it was the best thing that I could of done, my dog is about 80 pounds the dog that came after him weights about 75 to 80 pounds also. That was my only reaction when I saw that dog coming at us full force I only had a split second to react and that dog was already there. That dog was really fierce an it is not the first time that this dog attack another dog my other neighbor told me that this dog killed 2 others dog that used to leave around the area. I took me about 8 minutes to break them up.

Anyway I took my dog to the Vets today I had to leave him there, his face is really swollen the vet is going to have suck some of the poss out he also said that it was really infected.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
wiso2010 i dont think anyone was trying insult you. they were just offering future advice.

hope your dog is okay and update us on his recovery

·
Banned
253 Posts
I am not trying to come off as harsh but that seems like a long time to wait after something like that.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
learning......

Learning how to think and react is part of the learning curve. The longer you have your dog and stick around the wise folks on here the more you'll learn. Some of my learning curves aren't curves at all but enormous drop offs that I fall into with no parachute. Hang in there and keep doing the next right thing by protecting your dog and the reputation of the breed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dog

The Vet call me to tell me that she was able clean out most of the posse from the wound it got so big that it looked like 3 softballs together. He could hardly see from his right eye. He was really scare of the vet office. When I went to see him today it was like My dog was changed for a different one he was really agressive. My dog was never agressive to anyone before I was so sad I could not believe my eyes he was always good around everyone that wanted to pet him.Ever since this dog bite him he was acting really weird like something clicked inside him. I have a 3 year old daughter thats really scare of him now my wife is also scare of him because of the way that he acted against us. When I called him he was not reacting at all. The Vet also needed about 5 or 6 people to handle maximus he was trying to bite everyone. I'm not sure what decision I have to make here is either my family or my dog.

This is very first time that I have cried for a dog in my entire life.The Vet also said that we would need to clean his wound every day and give him different pills. But my wife and family is scare now that he will atack one of us.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
honestly i wouldnt judge him as aggressive based on that event. reason is he just went thru something traumatic and he is doped up pretty good i am sure he is pretty scared and in a lot of pain and dogs hate the vet in general. if it was MY dog and MY situation i would let the dog recouperate and definately keep my kid away from the dog have yourself or wife take care of him and be gentle with him. Once he is healed you can see if he goes back to his normal self or not. If he doesnt go back to himself as much as you would like (trust me i understand the concern for your family) you may want to think about trying to rehome him thru a pitbull specfic rescue (since they will have experience with dogs like this and know how to properly place them).

basically i would wait and see how your dog does when he is healed and keep your child away from him until you are comfortable with your dogs behavior. i hope this helps

·
Registered
386 Posts
Before you really jump the gun and exude the fear you feel back onto him and really create a bad atmosphere in which you both share, consider this-Your dog having never been through anything like that was probably pretty traumatized by the incident alone. Then, he got really sick from his injuries and was probably pretty traumatized by that. Then, he had to go to the vet and that experience was probably pretty traumatic for him. He's been through alot lately. Dogs don't have the capacity to display emotions the way we do. It sounds like he is fearful right now. If you start thinking that he is now aggressive and projecting an aura of fear, he will pick up on that. It will heighten his fear. There is a HUGE difference between aggressive and fearful, but they might look the same. Everything will be alright, just keep a clam, cool head and work through it with him.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
To the OP.. you have to understand dog behavior and be able to read body language in order to fully communicate with your dog and have his trust. I won't reem you for what you did wrong, just heed our advice and keep it in mind in case there is a next time. You should've picked your dog up as opposed to letting go of the leash...owning a dog of this breed, your dog will always be at fault when there is an altercation! You have to remember that first and foremost! Second, any time there is physical contact between your dog and another dog, any injury more severe than a simple scrape or scratch, should be examined by a vet, unless you're absolutely sure you can treat it at home w/no side affects! Knowing the dog that attacked yours is not current on shots, you should've gone straight to the vet, to at the very least, have a rabies booster administered, and then possibly have him quarantined to watch for signs of rabies or canine distemper. As far as his behavior now, you have to remember that he's injured, away from his family and his sense of security. Based on the info you gave about his injury, he's in some pretty bad pain, and doesn't like being poked and prodded, even though it's what's best for him! Give him time to get to feeling better, and when you do bring him home, keep him secluded from the family for a couple days so he can readjust to his surroundings, and slowly reintroduce him to the family, supervised at all times. Until his injury heals completely, DO NOT let your daughter play with him, no matter how bad she wants to! I believe once he's healed and back home in his place of security, he'll be back to his normal self. What happened to the neighbor's dog? Did the police/ac do anything about the dog? keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions! We're always here for you!

·
Registered
452 Posts
If that dog has a history of attacks and even killing another dog, it should be reported!! As for the instance where you were being charged by that dog, I don't know what I would have done either, my puppy is small right now and I would have picked him up but a big dog no way I could have. Instances like this (unfortunately) are the ones that make us think and learn. I hope your dog will heal well and I send warm thoughts to him and your family after such a traumatizing experience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts