Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 year old Amstaff, and within the last year or so I've noticed that he's been slowing down quite a bit. He was never a super cuddly dog, but he used to jump up on the couch with my wife and I to watch tv/ movies, and now he likes to just sleep on the foot of our bed all by himself. Also, we have always let him sleep on our bed, and he used to cuddle right up to us, but now he only cuddles up if you tell him to. It's kinda bumming us out. Is this normal for a dog of this age to start being like this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
How are his joints? You may want to get him on some glucosomine. Talk to your vet.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yeah I would look at weight and over all health of the dog. 9 is old but it depends on his genetics and structure. I have some APBT's at 9 look really old who did not have the best structure in the world and they started to break down early and feel stiff and run down. I have 13-11 year olds that you could mistake for a 5 year old dog. Once big thing especially if your dog is bigger bones and larger in weight is arthritis could be setting in and making him slow down. Using supplements and a good senior food are important as well as going to the vet and having him looked at for arthritis. They could put him on pain meds that could make him feel like a pup again. Also at this age it is very important to have your vet do some blood work like a CBC and look at his vital organ function. Things like Kidney, liver, or other issues can develop at this age and many can be controlled by diet or with simple medication that can make your dogs quality and length of life much better.
I am a little ANTI vet and many times will try things first to see if they help unless an emergency but when it comes to senior dogs early detection is key and I spend the money on the older dogs to get a blood panel dog once every year or 1.5 years.

Hope that helps, 9 is older but most of the time it should not be "that" old. I would get an appointment with your vet and have a senior workup done. Also at this age there is really no need to do yearly vaccines like Parvo/distemper and I even stop rabies when they are about 9-10 (don't tell my state that! lmao). Over vaccination is not healthy for any dogs and really not necessary for seniors who have build up a life time of immunity. Now you vet might disagree because they will not have your money yearly! Do some research and you will see many pet owners are now backing of vaccines when the dogs get older.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, he is in really great shape physically. He was the smallest one of the litter, and only ended up being 47-50 lbs but very lean and muscled. He doesn't even have one grey hair yet. People always mistake him for a puppy. He goes for his annual next month, so maybe I'll ask his vet to do a good check up, and draw blood. It's just weird because he used to be a spaz as a younger dog, and now he's all about chillin. Oh well, maybe it's normal and I'm overthinking it. He's still very agile when playing so I guess that's a good sign. Thanks again for the info :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.