Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my 115lbs male cane corso x pitbull is fairly good around the house except for a few things I can't seem to stop him from doing. He doesn't chew or touch furniture or anything big, these things don't register as toys to him. Actually he really doesn't mess with stuff around the house except for the odd dirty sock. His big 2 are garbage and opening the fridge door. He can open the fridge in 2 seconds and if I forget to block it in the morning with the dinner table he will go in and take everything out, eat himself sick and puke all over the place (last time he ate 3 full loafs of bread and a huge full tub of margerine, SICK!!!). He'll eat untill his stomach is almost dragging on the ground and he doesn't move for 3 days expect to go to the bathroom, alote. Sometimes I forget to block the fridge when I go to the corner store or something, if I'm gone for 5 minutes he'll open that door and say goodbye to those chicken breast leftovers. I can easily lock or block the door with the dinner table, but I feel as though this isn't really teaching him anything. He knows he can't do it his "OH SHIT" face when caught is worth a thousands words.

The garbage thing is really bad, I try to keep all garbage away from him but he just always finds a way to get to some, I always forget about a bag somewhere someday. What he does with a bag of garbage is nuts, he doesn't pick out the food, he tears the bag to pieces, spreads everything everywhere and roles in it. I mean the level of destruction he causes with 1/2 bag of garbage is pretty epic. And it's just as quick as the fridge door thing, 3 mintues alone and garbage literally everywhere. For example my business partner just stopped by to pick up some money, I put Rufus in the backyard and forgot I put a half bag of barbage on the patio this morning. 5 minutes and that garbage was EVERYWHERE, i mean all over the backyard I should upload pics of his work, it's incredible what he can do in a couple minutes.

Now it is clear he understands he is not allowed to touch the big black bags or the fridge, I've gotten so mad at him over the years if I just touch a garbage bag or point to the fridge he runs to the other side of the house and ducks his head. If I walk in on him cought in the act of destroying a garbage bag his "OH SHIT" face is undeniable (head down, ears twisted in, terrified...) he knows what he's doing and knows he's in trouble. Sometimes i've gotten so mad and did the hole "point to the bag and yell NO" thing over and over "Bad dog," he actually roles over and pees himself a little. He knows he cant touch the garbage, but it is like crack to him. I almost feel stupid getting mad at him all the time for something it seems like he has no control over, he just can't stop himself, but I'm loosing my hair cleaning up his epic garbage/fridge mess.

It's so bad somedays I ponder setting up a servaillance system in the home I can log onto from my phone and make an alarm siren whenever he tries the fridge or has a go at the garbagem or sleeps on the couch, which is the 3rd thing I cant get him to stop doing. He has a big fluffy bed, lots of chew toys, a massive fenced backyard, I play with him all the time, and 3 huge bowls of food a day. But he just wont stop doing these things, sometimes I'm blown away by how ballsy he'll get with it, I've often caught him red handed face in the garbage while im just in the other room. As soon as he hears my footstep approaching he shutters and gives me his oh shit face.
You can get mad at him all you want it wont do anything he'll still destroy the garbage in the morning, it's his crack.

WHAT DO I DO???

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Sounds like my buddy's Corsos.. except they eat the furniture

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Crate or kennel, Kong with peanut butter of soak his food in water, put it in and let it dry or freeze it.

Just because he does a "Oh s**t" face, doesn't mean he clearly understands he's not allowed in the garbage. Generally speaking it's a association of negative responses with the human presence and the object. Dogs need to be given something else to do instead, don't just punish them also teach them a more desired behavior. such as going and chewing on a toy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crate or kennel,
He actually has his own kennel room in between the kitchen and garage about 4ft X 12ft with no door. I use to tie him up in his kennel room when I left the home untill we were broken into and we had $1200 and some electronics stoles. The bastard threw a chair at rufus, it was broken on the ground with round holes fitting the chair legs in the wall. Then he fed him all my smokies to shut him up. I thought to myself...I have a guard dog who is tied up while I'm gone, seems kinda non sensicle. Neighboors were broken into 3 times, and the guy accross the street twice by I'm sure the same person who roams the area, the only reason he hasn't come back is because he met rufus and I'm sure he never wants to meet him again.

I hate that that guy was walking around my house as he pleased looking through my stuff while my large dog went bonkers tied in his kennel, if he wasn't tied up he would have immidiatly chased that turd burgeler out the window he came in, rufus doesnt mess around. I don't like the idea of kenneling him while I'm gone anymore, I really want to focus on improving his house manners.

soak his food in water, put it in and let it dry or freeze it.
Thats a good idea it might last pretty long, but 8 hours? I know the minute he finishes whatever I give him, he'll be prowling the house for garbage, food, a plate left out whatever he can find, he jumps on the counter and takes dishes out of the sink and takes them to his kennel room, licks them dry and hides them.

Just because he does a "Oh s**t" face, doesn't mean he clearly understands he's not allowed in the garbage. Generally speaking it's a association of negative responses with the human presence and the object. Dogs need to be given something else to do instead, don't just punish them also teach them a more desired behavior. such as going and chewing on a toy.
So disiciplin him on the garbage, then take him to his bed and give him his toy type thing? It's difficult for me to believe from my observations he doesn't on some level understand he cant mess with the big black bag, or the fridge door, but you might be right. It would explain why he goes back for more everytime regardless of the outcome.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
You can invest in a bungee cord for the fridge, works for toddlers & dogs alike. Garbage should be kept in a closet or closed off room, or better yet, the garage. Can you put up a half door, or a full door, to your kitchen to help keep him out?

As for his reaction to you scolding him, Celeste is right, he's feeding off your tone of voice and negative response to his actions, but that doesn't mean he fully understands he's not supposed to touch it. You have to show him the desired action, so I would take him to hit when he's not messing with it, show it to him and tell him no in a calm, stern voice, then take him away from it and give him a kong or bone filled with peanut butter, as mentioned before, and praise him. You dont want him to be scared of you, but you want him to respect your authority. If he's pissing himself when you scold him, he's afraid and that's not healthy. You should also take him and put his paws up on the counters/sink, and tell him no, and redirect with a bone or toy, and praise. I recommend doing this with him on lead so he can't run off and hide, you have to control the situation. Sometimes you have to set them up in order to correct them appropriately. Also, do you use any type of correction/training collar? If not, you may want to invest in one, put it on him prior to doing what i recommended above. When you put his paws on the counter, or his face in the fridge or garbage can, immediately give him a quick tug with the leash to reinforce the No command (as you say No). Also, if you think you need more help, we have a member here who has corsos, geisthexe is her username, and she may be able to offer some additional advice. We've also got an excellent trainer on board, performancekennels, and she's got excellent training advice to offer if you send her a pm. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to ask. Welcome to the pack and I hope you enjoy your stay on our yard.

Reactions: Celestial88

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Great idea with the door and bungee, didn't even think of it. Our garbage is under the sink and in the garage. :)

I wouldn't put his paws or face in the garbage and correct... all that's doing is building an association with you putting him there and bad things happen.. Nor is a correctional collar necessary. The behavior itself should be discouraged if you're using correctional techniques, not you putting them into that position.

Dogs are scavengers, it's their nature, as kids are curious. The solution is to prevent it in the first place and give a optional behavior. My boy gets bored easily and will become troublesome without something to do, crate is a life saver.

Your dog should not have the option of prowling your house when you're not home, that's just setting him up to fail. My dogs only get fresh peanut butter in theirs most of the time, that doesn't even last a minute usually. They're fine, they get a bunch of exercise during the day, mental stimulation, and have been crate trained.

·
Registered
776 Posts
i didnt read all of that but usually a dog that destroys things needs alot more exercise

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Dogs are scavengers and both the Fridge and the garbage are immensely self rewarding behaviors to him. Locking the fridge is a great idea, as is putting the garbage somewhere he can't reach it (under the counter, use child locks)

What he 'knows' is those behaviors don't pay off when you are around (but they sure do when you aren't!) I know it's frustrating, but think of it like a challenge. You have the bigger brain and the opposable thumbs, you've got to outsmart him and take away his access.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts