Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my almost 6 month pitbull growls like shes killing someone when we play tug of war which i have stopped playing since the growling started but somtimes if shes playing with her stuffed animals she growls with them and stuff. she never growls toward me or any other animal or human. just wondering how to stop it so she doesnt take it to seriously and some tips of how to get her to drop the toy when i saw drop thanks guys!

·
Registered
859 Posts
growling doesn't always mean she's being aggressive especially with these types of dogs they can growl when they play. My pit bull would do the same when I'd play tug a war with her. It's just how they play sometimes. There was a thread on this a while back as well

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Shes just having fun playing :)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Growling while laying isnt always a bad thing. All dogs growl while they play tug-o-war. I say 'Give it to me" and the I open the dogs mouth and take the toy. I praise like crazy then I wait a few minutes and give the toy back play a few minutes then start all over again taking the toy with the command I have choosen. Some people offer up a treat when they ask for the toy and this works too I just perfer praise.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i say "drop it!" and they let go

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I've always ignored the growling while playing tug. As has been said, it's just how they play. Nothing to do with aggression.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Perfectly normal for them to growl like godzilla while they're playing

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
Ha, the louder Nubs growls the more fun he's having.

Here's a video of him and I playing tug. He growls worse then this at times.

It's all fun. As long as when you say "done" or "enough" the game can end, your golden.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Growling while playing is totally ok, Showing teeth and seething while playing CORRECT ASAP. dogs communicate this way it shows affection and dominance. you should read more into dog body language, your pup wants to play but it has to be you to start and end the game. if the dog comes to you with a toy and starts nudging you to play say "no" and they will learn that play isn't under their terms but yours. good luck:)

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Just high play drive... Though I preferred not to encourage this behavior from the get go & neither of my dogs growl... I also never encouraged the game of tug. I did more routine obedience/tricks for mental stimulation along with long walks & fetch for exercise.

If it's something you don't like you can always curb the behavior & channel it to some other game, obedience technique for fun.

Also for other stimulus activity games - use a search engine for 'nina ottosson dog puzzles'. Pretty nifty stuff :)

Here's a vid:

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I play rough with Helena. But she knows OUT means OUT. But we have a good ol time. I grab her sides and stuff to get her riled up. Sometimes even give her jaws a little smack not hard, but she likes it.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
my almost 6 month pitbull growls like shes killing someone when we play tug of war which i have stopped playing since the growling started but somtimes if shes playing with her stuffed animals she growls with them and stuff. she never growls toward me or any other animal or human. just wondering how to stop it so she doesnt take it to seriously and some tips of how to get her to drop the toy when i saw drop thanks guys!
I would not worry about growling it means she is having fun ;) If you want to teach and out you can trade her for another toy or trade for a treat. That does not alway for all dogs so if the nice way does not work then put her on leash with a flat collar. (like the collar you have your tags on) when you say out pop the leash till she drops the toy and as soon as she drops it praise. Popping the collar is a must for some dogs but try trading a treat first.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Just high play drive... Though I preferred not to encourage this behavior from the get go & neither of my dogs growl... I also never encouraged the game of tug. I did more routine obedience/tricks for mental stimulation along with long walks & fetch for exercise.

If it's something you don't like you can always curb the behavior & channel it to some other game, obedience technique for fun.

Also for other stimulus activity games - use a search engine for 'nina ottosson dog puzzles'. Pretty nifty stuff :)

Here's a vid:
YouTube - A pit bull & her Nina Ottosson Dog Brick
OMG that's Veronica!!! She is owned by a member of another forum. I <3 Veronica. :D

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
My girl Crixus is super vocal. She will even bring it to you and growl for her to play with you lol. Vocal is fine unless they are turning aggressive toward you. If she does not drop it stop the name and remove it from her mouth and say DROP IT!

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
"Let go" works for me. Loki growls like mad when he plays. When he and our little herding mix mutt play together (supervised of course) they both growl and she sounds more vicious than Loki does. I will have to get it on video one of these days. We let them play "chew toy master" which is just letting them play tug on a rope toy. Loki is such a good sport, he lets Lady B think she has a chance of winning ;)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
My girl Crixus is super vocal. She will even bring it to you and growl for her to play with you lol. Vocal is fine unless they are turning aggressive toward you. If she does not drop it stop the name and remove it from her mouth and say DROP IT!
Thats too funny Siren does the same thing! like mother like daughter!:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
When I am done playing, I say leave it. When we are playing and he starts to growl, I stop playing and he knows to stop growling. Its all in good fun, its not aggressive. I live in a 2 family, my sister upstairs. I do it more so she isn't bothered or if I am watching TV while playing I could not hear the TV over his noisy butt. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts