Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved into a house with 3 other individuals and 2 other dogs. I just bought a bag of blue buffalo wilderness duck for my 4 month old pit and she will eat it I have seen her, but most of the time she eats the other dog's food which is purina puppy chow. This bag of food is very expensive, and I would like to keep her on it as it is a great food but not sure what to do??

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I don't free feed, but my roommates free feed their dogs.
There is your problem. If they free feed you might as well be free feeding. You need to have a conversation with them and work out feeding schedules for he dogs.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I would separate her from the others and have a designated eating time. She might not like it, and not want to eat at first but she'll get it when she's hungry. Setting up a routine for her will also benefit you both when it comes time for training as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, the other day I left a bowl of food out for her just to see if she would go to it, but later on I saw her eating out of the other dog's bowl.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I never free feed or feed my boys together. I'm mostly worried Marley will eat it all and make Dosia starve lol. The have a specific time that they eat each day and they eat in separate rooms. Once they are done, or show no interest, the bowls are picked up till the next meal time. If they don't eat they sure will when they get the next bowl lol.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its not a good idea to just leave food out with more then one dog it can cause issues and although your pup is young and probably not aggressive it can kick in later on and fights can happen over food like this. Best to talk with your roomates and either see if they are willing to do scheduled feeding times { all in seperate areas} or feeding there dogs in off limit areas like there own rooms or something. the food they are feeding is not good quality and you dont want your dog eating that stuff. The links provided for you above is some good info , hopefully your roomates are reasonable and can work with you a bit to fix this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all, i will talk with my roommates when they get home from work later tonight and hopefully we can work out a feeding schedule

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Purina is crap so I am not surprised your pup is liking it better, kinda like you're giving him Salad and grilled veggies instead of desert. lol

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts