Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He eats a high quality food, he is bathed once a week (which I feel is even pushing it due to the known skin sensitivity of pits), I don't understand why after getting a bath he smells bad the next day. I use biogroom natural oatmeal shampoo.

Someone has suggested to me that he may smell because he is unaltered, but I don't see how that makes sense.

Someone else suggested an omega 3 supplement...does anybody have any experience with that?

I intend on asking the vet...we have an appointment for shots in 2 weeks, but I'm curious for people's suggestions in the mean time.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
It's usually good related. Even high quality kibbles might not go with a dog. See if you can go for another brand perhaps? But it could be an allergy or yeast infection. Girl or boy pup? My dog smelt different after he was neutered and when I switched from blue buffalo wilderness to Acana regionals
Pacifica. Could be anything. I also switched from an oatmeal shampoo to dr Harvey's organic dog shampoo.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's usually good related. Even high quality kibbles might not go with a dog. See if you can go for another brand perhaps? But it could be an allergy or yeast infection. Girl or boy pup? My dog smelt different after he was neutered and when I switched from blue buffalo wilderness to Acana regionals
Pacifica. Could be anything. I also switched from an oatmeal shampoo to dr Harvey's organic dog shampoo.

Sent from Petguide.com App
He's a boy.
He's on blue buffalo wilderness now! I need to pick up dog food tomorrow so maybe I will look into a new brand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i suggest you stop bathing your dog so often you are stripping him of their natural oils. is the smell corn chip smell? could be yeast

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Do his ears smell? Are they red? Sometimes dogs can have nasty yeast infections in their ears and it is so gross smelling! Even the whole body will smell. Going to a grain free food usually does the trick. It takes time so be patient.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i suggest you stop bathing your dog so often you are stripping him of their natural oils. is the smell corn chip smell? could be yeast
No it's not corn chip smell, it's just dog smell...I don't know how to describe it lol

If I stop bathing him once a week my house is going to reek, how often do you suggest bathing?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do his ears smell? Are they red? Sometimes dogs can have nasty yeast infections in their ears and it is so gross smelling! Even the whole body will smell. Going to a grain free food usually does the trick. It takes time so be patient.
His ears don't look infected. And his food is already grain free. :( I'm going to try switching brands today.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
I would try the Acana and see how he does. Maybe try some good probiotics too! :)

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
You can get pet safe "cologne" for him. Dog Cologne and Dog Deodorizer | PetSmart

I hardly ever bathe my dogs it seems. Maybe once a month, and that's only if I notice them starting to stink. But my dogs are spoiled and only go outside to play and even then I supervise them so they don't get too dirty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get pet safe "cologne" for him. Dog Cologne and Dog Deodorizer | PetSmart

I hardly ever bathe my dogs it seems. Maybe once a month, and that's only if I notice them starting to stink. But my dogs are spoiled and only go outside to play and even then I supervise them so they don't get too dirty.
That's thing thing, Baloo is really only outside to use the bathroom and that's it! He's smelly for no reason!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
before you try any deodorizers or perfumes, you need to make sure it's not a health issue first. like ames said, it could be a yeast or fungal infection, especially if you're bathing him that often and his skin is wet on a regular basis. an indoor dog shouldn't need bathing more than once a month.
if you can rule that out, then maybe the food switch will help. also take a look at any treats you feed.
but the fact he's unaltered definitely plays a role in his body odor. this is a scientific fact. testicles secrete testosterone. and that will affect many things including scent. now, is it the source of his funky fumes? hard to say. but dogs are supposed to smell like dogs. not like us.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
before you try any deodorizers or perfumes, you need to make sure it's not a health issue first. like ames said, it could be a yeast or fungal infection, especially if you're bathing him that often and his skin is wet on a regular basis. an indoor dog shouldn't need bathing more than once a month.
if you can rule that out, then maybe the food switch will help. also take a look at any treats you feed.
but the fact he's unaltered definitely plays a role in his body odor. this is a scientific fact. testicles secrete testosterone. and that will affect many things including scent. now, is it the source of his funky fumes? hard to say. but dogs are supposed to smell like dogs. not like us.
If it was an infection wouldn't there be some kind of other signs? Itching or redness or something??

I bought a new brand of dog food, we're starting today.

I know dogs don't smell like humans...I've owned dogs my whole life, but I've never had a dog who smelled so bad so quickly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If anyone is interested, we started on wellness core for puppies 3 days ago, and the smell is already almost gone :woof: I am SO relieved!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
that's great news! Isn't it crazy something so simple can make a big difference!

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Wellness CORE is a good food :) glad he is not so smelly!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have the same issue with my blue pit. He smells like a dirty shoe. He is outside most the time but now for the winter he and my yorkie sleep inside. She is mostly an outside dog and she doesn't smell like he does. I gave them both a good scrubbing now that they've been inside more but he continues to smell that bad. Last time he went to the vet he checked out just fine but I forgot to mention his smell. I figured at the time it was just from being outside all the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
Hi. I have the same issue with my blue pit. He smells like a dirty shoe. He is outside most the time but now for the winter he and my yorkie sleep inside. She is mostly an outside dog and she doesn't smell like he does. I gave them both a good scrubbing now that they've been inside more but he continues to smell that bad. Last time he went to the vet he checked out just fine but I forgot to mention his smell. I figured at the time it was just from being outside all the time.
There could be several reasons for the dog smelling bad and the vet would be a good choice to ask first. Welcome to the forum.

Joe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts