Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing this in hopes of helping people to understand just what can happen when you leave two bully breeds to themselves. Hopefully people can read this story and learn from my experiences.

Raj (22 month old "pet bull") and Willow (14 month old SBT mix) have been together as long as Willow has been around the house (6 weeks old). They always got along, and were always the "best of friends". I had always crated them due to them being bully breeds, and I could never leave them together unattended.
The two never fought, and at times when I saw things getting heated I always separated them to prevent one from going after the other. I guess you could say I was a "responsible" owner.
Last night, however, was totally different. They always tell you that there will be no warning, and I have to say, whoever "they" are, they were right.
I was sitting on the couch feeding my son. Raj and Willow were cuddling on the couch, passed out. It was just a normal day.
It all happened so quickly, I couldn't tell you what had started it really. All I know for sure is once they heard my boyfriend pull into the driveway, the dogs got up to greet him at the door, and then the fight started. It all happened so fast, I couldn't run into the drawer to grab my break stick, I wouldn't leave the baby alone with two fighting dogs (because well...that is just plain stupid lol).
Willow had Raj by the neck, and Raj (being double her size) was swinging back and forth, trying to grab her. He slammed her into the glider almost knocking it into my tv. I grabbed him and (adrenaline really helped here) held him still with my legs while I grabbed her jaw and (NEVER do this!!!!!) put my fingers into her mouth and forced her open.
It all happened in a matter of a minute, by the time my boyfriend walked in the door, Raj was in his kennel and Willow was happily wagging her tail for him.
There was no blood
There was no serious damage done (except to maybe Raj's ego)

I just bought ANOTHER break stick from Stillwater last night.

Some things I have learned from my experiences?
It can happen anywhere, anytime. Dogs can go from 0 to 60 in a matter of seconds. You may not always be prepared, but you have to be quick.
I myself had always expected it may or may not happen. I will admit I wasn't prepared.
NEVER misplace your break stick!!
LEARN how to use one properly (and use one! Don't be an ass like me and use your hand. Thankfully she knows the difference between my hand and Raj's skin, but not all dogs are like that!

I hope that anyone who thinks their dogs are the "bestest of buddies" will read this, and learn from this. This wasn't even a serious fight, but it was scary as hell. I will never let something like that happen again.

Raj and Willow are going to be taken out for a walk today. That way I can assess how they will be with each other. Even if they decide to get along fine, they will be kenneled (at least one of them at a time) when my boyfriend pulls up to prevent any more incidents like this.

Guys. Please learn from this. You don't want this happening to you trust me. Even for someone who knew it could happen, it was scary as hell. I can only imagine if I didn't already know it was possible.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
excitement got the best of them..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup
It happens. I'm sure they will be fine in "low thresh hold" situations, but now I know. I'm just glad I found out this way rather than anything worse.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
very lucky no damage was done, had something similar happen here recently too and boyfriend had to use his finger to break them apart. He got bit in doing so , nothing bad but a couple puncture wounds and she knows better then to bite people but when they are in that state of mind they arent always aware of anything around them. We too are stocking up on break sticks now , enough to have one in each area of the house, great tool for anyone to have. { ours wasnt in the area of the fight and like you had no time to go get it}. Glad your dogs are safe . Have you tried introducing them again? are they ok with eachother now? Sounds like attention and just over excitement got to them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been crating and rotating them for the day, I figure I am going to give them a full 24 hours to find out. I think everything is fine though, obviously I am just going to have to have a new system now lol
The good thing is that I trained them on crate and rotate awhile back so they got into the flow pretty well =)

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but you know you can't trust em not to fight. It comes out of left field most times, and the simplest, stupidest thing can spark it. But, seeing as you know this now, and working to prevent anything further from happening, all I can say is lesson learned. Now you know for sure, that just because it was male and female (right?), doesn't mean they won't fight. I learned this a long time ago, with a mutt (1/2 APBT, 1/4 chow, 1/4 ACD) female, and an APBT male. Since then, I'm very cautious with my dogs, no matter age, sex, breed (or mixes there of). The important thing is no damage was done, and you learned a valuable lesson. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I hope this can prove to be a good idea of what these dogs are capable of to the new people that come through.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are beating a dead horse. To me at least. I know that this could have happened any time. I was prepared for it to happen, I can't say I was "shocked" There was no "Oh my god my dogs just got into a huge fight" My post was strictly to share with those who believe their dogs are the "bestest of friends" and they always will be so that they can see that is not the case. My dogs grew up together, they still got into a fight.
I have done everything responsibly, I own a breakstick, I never leave them alone and I am always watching them, even feeding my son I saw the signs that it was going to happen, however I can't just throw my 3 month old onto the couch and do something but I still got there pretty damn fast lol.
I can only imagine what would happen to those who are not prepared since it happened to me and I was prepared. I have always known this would happen, but I had no idea when.

Sorry if I come off as defensive, but I may or may not have misunderstood the tone of your post.

·
Premium Member
11,011 Posts
When I hear stories like this, I appreciate them and is a nice reminder for people who live in a dream land where nothing has gone wrong and let their guards down. thanks for sharing. I am glad your pups (and you and the baby) are OK. Scary thing to be around and making me think I should get a new one for my vacation I am taking lol

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
Never do this,,, my foot. I've been in the same EXACT predicament. a guy let his lab get next to my pit and wham, it was A scream fest. For those that have never heard A pit screaming with lust for the fight,your missing it.
I did just as you said never to do, it was that or nothing. I eased my thumbs from front to rear, found the slip point between the incisors and got her to release.its the old trick that A dog can't fight the pressure. I'm not sure how the muscle mechanics work but old man Fletcher showed it to me. He had this big yellow pit that a lot of us thought the world of his name was John.
I think you did frickin awesome.

·
Premium Member
11,011 Posts
For those that have never heard A pit screaming with lust for the fight,your missing it.
agreed. made me feel like he was in pain it was so bad. His 2 arch enemies GSD and husky that live across the street got loose when we were on our walk. Had to brace him against a lexus parked on the street and hope we were not attacked. He was NOT pleased with me. Poor lexus...

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
agreed. made me feel like he was in pain it was so bad. His 2 arch enemies GSD and husky that live across the street got loose when we were on our walk. Had to brace him against a lexus parked on the street and hope we were not attacked. He was NOT pleased with me. Poor lexus...
Poor Lexus,,, :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts