Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female pitbull is 2 and half years old fixed. Well i have a 7 month old rottie male not fixed. Well everytime they play wrestle and chase each other. My female tries and humps the male lol. Why is that.

Also i have a problem with my female. We got her from the pound about 6 months ago. And about once our twice a month when we open the door our go to let her out she takes off and starts running around the house and neibors and everything and doesnt come when called its like a game to her. I think its because before she was in the pound she grew up on a big yard and i live in a busy area duplex and trailor parks and stuff like that low budget lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Its a dominance thing. My female GSD will hump my male APBT and vice versa but when my APBT does it to my GSD or should I say tries to hump my GSD she snaps at him. I would pull her off when she starts up it could start a fight between the two.

Your female running around she probably just wants you to chase her don't feed into it. Put her on a leash you can even get a longer leash than a 6 foot one. maybe 10 or 30 feet. That way say she wants to start running around and playing the catch me if you can game you can just reel her butt in! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TashasLegend said:
Its a dominance thing. My female GSD will hump my male APBT and vice versa but when my APBT does it to my GSD or should I say tries to hump my GSD she snaps at him. I would pull her off when she starts up it could start a fight between the two.

Your female running around she probably just wants you to chase her don't feed into it. Put her on a leash you can even get a longer leash than a 6 foot one. maybe 10 or 30 feet. That way say she wants to start running around and playing the catch me if you can game you can just reel her butt in! lol
Ya i thaught it was a dominane thing i always tell her to stop. And she does have a 10 foot leash. But like i said there times where somebody shows up and she feels like running out the door our we are about to take her outside sometimes she runs right out door my girlfreind will go chase her and i tell her not too because its a game to them. But she doesnt come when you call her. I woudent mind if i was in a bigger yard our wasent in a area where she get killed our picked up in seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
CaSk said:
Ya i thaught it was a dominane thing i always tell her to stop. And she does have a 10 foot leash. But like i said there times where somebody shows up and she feels like running out the door our we are about to take her outside sometimes she runs right out door my girlfreind will go chase her and i tell her not too because its a game to them. But she doesnt come when you call her. I woudent mind if i was in a bigger yard our wasent in a area where she get killed our picked up in seconds.
you may need to babygate access to the door off until she learns too sit or stand and wait by the door. If anytime she gets out call her name. When she looks at you run from her back to the house inside. Or what I use to do sometimes when my apbt wants to be stubborn in the backyard. I tell him Bye Legend and fast walk away and then I say I'm leaving bye. Then a half a second later I hear a horse running behide me and feel his wet nose on my hand. lol. Then I can grab him by his collar or put a leash on him.
 

·
Good with tools
Joined
·
9,791 Posts
you can also try putting the 10 foot lead on and give the oppurtunity to run out the door, when she passes a certain point make the dog return, then praise and reward. when my dogs aproach the door I tell them BACK and they take 3 steps back and sit. Lots of praise and reward. Tashaslegends advice is perfect too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
redog said:
you can also try putting the 10 foot lead on and give the oppurtunity to run out the door, when she passes a certain point make the dog return, then praise and reward. when my dogs aproach the door I tell them BACK and they take 3 steps back and sit. Lots of praise and reward. Tashaslegends advice is perfect too!
Thats great advice. Damn I wish you would have told me sooner when Legend was younger and a serious "door crasher"! LMAO He didnt run away just being noisey and would stand on the porch! Thank god he doesnt do it anymore though. I don't think guests would take to lightly to see an 85lb dog greeting them at the porch not wagging his tail until they get on the porch. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
A dog wants to do nothing more than please you, if you are a good owner.

Our weimy used to be horrible about bolting for the door. And we were real scared, cause she has no idea what a car, or street is.

And thats the exact approach we used, now its not so bad, and if she does get out, she doesnt bolt, but sniffs the bushs and bolts back in when she sees us.

Now if I could learn how to get her to walk without pulling....... I mean really pulling, like on her belly pulling....... but that would be a hijack of the thread LOL!
 

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
Joined
·
4,389 Posts
Just like everybody said, don't chase her. Sounds like maybe she just wants some excersise. Try walking her once a day. I know my girls don't get the excersise they deserve. For obviouse reasons, I can't let them run loose outside, and I won't walk them in this neighboorhood b/c there are a few dogs running loose around here and horror stories just run through my mind. So, when I want to walk the girls, which I do one @ a time now, I load them in the Jeep and take them to the lake. The ride usually wears them out a bit, so they're not pulling and tugging on the leash and we can just enjoy the walk. I love the lake this time of year b/c nobody else is ever there. On the rare occasions when one of the girls does sprint for the door and make it outside, I just let them do a couple of sprints around the yard and then open up the car door and say "Let's go for a ride!!" Of course, they jump in. I always at least take them down the street so they don't get keen to it and refuse to jump in!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Derek79 said:
A dog wants to do nothing more than please you, if you are a good owner.

Our weimy used to be horrible about bolting for the door. And we were real scared, cause she has no idea what a car, or street is.

And thats the exact approach we used, now its not so bad, and if she does get out, she doesnt bolt, but sniffs the bushs and bolts back in when she sees us.

Now if I could learn how to get her to walk without pulling....... I mean really pulling, like on her belly pulling....... but that would be a hijack of the thread LOL!
Gentle Leader or Easy Walk Harness. I alternate between the Gentle Leader and Legend's regular collar. Its been working like a charm. No more pulling. Legend heels off leash but for some reason I wasnt able to get him to do it that well on leash. But no he stays by my side from using the GL on a regular collar.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Trees grow, birds fly and dogs hump things. Facts of life I guess. The important question is, did she buy him dinner first? Take time to cuddle afterwords?

I have a 30lb mut female that used to take advantage of my maltese (8lb male) and that was rough. It was like a prison movie. I was able to stop that with supervised play; scolding and seperating and she eventually stopped. I have had no success, however, with protecting the innocense of the stuffed animals in my house. The maltese just loves them stuffed animals. Poor things never saw him comming. These kids and their hormones...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top