Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am going to pick up my first pit in a couple weeks, i did proper research and know alot of people with pits and i feel that he will be the perfect for me, but i am curious as to proper dieting and exercise to have a happy and "Fit" dog, if anyone has some tips for me it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome to the world of potato chip pit bulls (you'll understand in another month or two) lol
Congrats on the new puppy.
First thing you are aware that red nose is just a color right? It means just that...the dogs nose is red...its not TYPE of pit bull or a bloodline (unless it is OFRN) its just the dogs color.

Feel free to look around read up on the site there are a lot of puppy threads, any questions don't hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
the age of the puppy will make a difference in how you will care for him..

if you have questions feel free to ask. you will learn alot about how to raise your new pup from the people on this forum :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
welcome to GP! :) and like BBB said, red,blue, black nose just means the color of the dogs nose

anyway, when are u expecting to get yout pup? have u researched food yet? it toko me a good month and half to pick a food for my girl and then i ended up switchin anyway ahah...

i suggest orijen if ur pocket will allow it. best food out there right now ;)

3,968 Posts
Welcome to the world of potato chip pit bulls (you'll understand in another month or two) lol
Congrats on the new puppy.
First thing you are aware that red nose is just a color right? It means just that...the dogs nose is red...its not TYPE of pit bull or a bloodline (unless it is OFRN) its just the dogs color.

Feel free to look around read up on the site there are a lot of puppy threads, any questions don't hesitate to ask!
lol potato chip pitbulls thats a good one!! ne way yeah color aint a thang in the apbt world color is just color and says absolutely nothing about an individual dog unless its merle then it is a dead give away of a mix between a catahoula and most likely will come with health issues. so just curiouse to know what you learned maybe we can take what you learned and add on to it i mean this is ur first pit im sure you will need to learn a lot. owning an apbt is lots of fun and lots of laughs but dot get me wrong its not like owning your average golden,lab ,husky or ne thing like that there are a few rules to ownin g the breed that will grow on you and they will as easy and as daily as putting on a new shirt for the day sure its not like you have to follow specific ruels to owning an apbt if you dont want but its a damn good idea especially if you want to be responisble!!

congrats on ur new pit though do u know the bloodlines?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments so far! what i have learned for the most part right now is to get him out and be social with not only other dogs but to socialize with other people besides my self... just the basic things really... as far as food right now i bought a bag of purina prochoice.... it seemed to be a good puppy food i suppose it comes down to trial and error with the food and diet?

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Thanks for all the comments so far! what i have learned for the most part right now is to get him out and be social with not only other dogs but to socialize with other people besides my self... just the basic things really... as far as food right now i bought a bag of purina prochoice.... it seemed to be a good puppy food i suppose it comes down to trial and error with the food and diet?
Yes and no. First and foremost, stay away from anything you can buy at a grocery store...purina, pedigree, eukaneuba, iams....all terrible foods, all rate at a 1 out of possible 6 stars on the dog food analysis website:

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

These foods are filled with corn, wheat and other known allergens as filler to make more dog food for less money.

Here are a few threads on the topic:

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/12046-good-food.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/12031-what-do-you-think-best-dry-dog-food.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/3749-pet-food-rating-comparison-chart.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/11878-i-just-bought-my-first-bag-totw.html

Choosing the right food for you dog all depends on what you are willing to spend, what you want to do with your dog(how much energy he will have) and when it all boils down to it, how long you want your dog to live. The better the feed the longer the dog's life. Just some FOOD for thought :D

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Purina is not really a good choice. If you look at the ingredients you will find that there is a lot of corn, wheat, grain and meat by product. Its pretty much a lot of fillers and food that is hard for dogs to digest. Dogs are CARNIVORS they don't need a lot of grain and corn and its very hard on their tummies.

If it comes down to price most people go with Blue Buffalo, its a fairly good food and not too expensive.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
unless you get one that is selfish about sharing you with other dogs....i have to talk to my husband about *maybe* getting one to play with Peanut though..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your future new pup. Tonnes of information on here, don't be afraid to use the search option, I found it to be extrememly helpful in finding answers to questions as well!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you again for all the tips everyone, harley and myself age very gratful for this site i will post pictures of him as soon as i go pick him up :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts