Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my friend is hurting his dog he means well but he is a moron.
He has a mutt and when he cooks bacon after that he dumps the bacon fat and fat from ham burgers on his kibble..he said its fine for the dog I said its not and he told me to do this with my boy I said no lol. So is he wrong???
Thanks

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I dont think its hurting the dog, a lot of sodium probably from the bacon fat but we feed a lot of extra fat and oil, its good for the dog, they run off fat. The salt in the bacon is what Id worry about most, not the fat itself.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
careful what you start to add.. dogs will get picky , trust me I have a picky eater.. they get used to you jacking up their meals with yummy fatty stuff they will expect it daily and can make meal time a bit more difficult when you don't offer it.. as a treat ya ok sounds fine but it is fat and dogs are the same as us and too much cholesterol can do damage with them as well, stay away from high sodium , high fat and cholesterol foods. better options for jacking up a meal is using egg shells, raw meat scraps, cottage cheese, yogurt, probiotics, ect.. As a treat ya they love bacon greese and stuff like that , i just personally would not do it daily. moderation is key..

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
I would NOT do the bacon fat. The hamburger fat is just fine in my opinion (but like angelbaby said, they could start getting picky) but definitely not the bacon or ham-- both have MSG and are full of Nitrates (cancer) so unless he is getting nitrate free bacon and ham then definitely that is a no-no!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
They are only gonna get picky about added fats/oils/whatever if you cater to them not wanting to eat the regular feed without the added stuff in it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts