Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm happy to be here :) thanks in advance to whoever answers my post!

Okay, so my fiancé rescued a pitbull mix about 2 years ago. For the most part, he is SUPER mellow.. almost too mellow. He was fully trained when rescued and we think he's about 3 years old. We're not sure if he was abused or not, although he gets a little nervous around feet. he loves to cuddle and he's generally a sweet boy :) BUT...... He just hates hugs! Or any kind of physical touching done between me and my fiancé. When we hug, he starts to howl/bark, his tail will wag, and he will make direct eye contact with us. It's a little scary actually. Sometimes he will run over and get in between us. He also HATES yelling. If me and my fiancé are having a bit of an argument, or just talking loudly... He will do the same thing- wag his tail, howl, and look us straight in the eye.

My fiancé thinks it's cute, almost like he's "protecting" one of us. But it concerns me. We can't even hug! And what if one day he bites one of us, thinking that the other is in danger? I didn't grow up with dogs so this is all new to me. Any suggestions would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
What do you normally do to discipline him? Just do that whenever he freaks out and sooner or later, he'll probably catch on and cut it out.

A firm "No." or "bad dog", will usually get the point across to an otherwise well trained dog.

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
:goodpost:

You need to teach the dog that he doesn't determine what you or any human does. When the dog behaves like that it needs firm correction. Embrace in front of the dog intentionally and be quick with a LOUD firm corrective command, I shout HEY! with a stern voice to get their attention and follow it with the command of NO! It won't take the dog long to determine that this behavior is not going to be tolerated.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
"....it need firm correction..." Absolutely agreed. We need to teach everything with care, that only makes our pet as perfect.. :woof:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts