Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i am in dcf untill 23 because they pay for me to go to college. but untill then i have the same social worker and she is afraid of my pit. its not just pits she has a problem with its all dogs. even small ones. so every time she comes over, i feel bad because i have to put my dog in the crate when all he wants to do is meet her. its starting to take a toll on him because since he is used to greeting everyone and she comes over so much he cant even sniff her and i think its giving him anxiety. see if someone he already knows comes over and he's in the crate he's fine cuz he already knows them. so a few months later she finally agrees to let him sinff her at least and when she approached the crate he growled and i was takn back by that because he never acts like that! i think he may not trust her like he would have a while back ago. so some advise please?

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
possibly had something to do with the fact that she approached him when he was cornered???

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is one almost two. i told him in a stern voice NO! (he knows by now that NO! is not a good thing) because uasually after i say it, its to the crate he goes. i wanted try and reproach the whole thing in a different way but ofcourse my social worker kinda freaked and refused to, not helping the situation at all. i think it is also because he is very attached to the crate and he gets a bit uncomftorble when strangers approach it. but now i am worried he doesnt trust her and i know it doesnt help with her feeling uncomftorble around him.

·
Registered
100 Posts
buzhunter, that does make sense cuz Chaos is like that, when he growls I don't think he'd bite her, but more mad over the crate n not being able to greet her like he always does

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
My APBT does the same thing when a stranger comes in my house and she is in her crate. But both of my dogs will get funny with any stranger who is a little leary of them. A complete stranger can walk in my house (with my permission)and greet my dogs and everything is cool but if they just stand there and look at them, it's on. Dogs look at aprehension as fear and sometimes that can trigger an aggressive reaction too. Maybe the SW nervousness caused him to get nervous too. Body language.

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have no idea what to do about it any more. its gotten to the point where he bites inbetween the bars on the door and starts pulling. i know its not from agression because he wines like crazy when he does it and when he whines like that its because of a situation like this, someone will be sitting down and my dog (anubus) will come wanting attention and if he is ignored long enough he makes crazy whining noises untill someone pets him or he gets tired of it. i try to explain everything to my worker but it doesnt get through to her.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
He senses her fear. If she's afraid, he knows, but he doesn't know why. Put him in his crate a little while before she comes so he's settled by the time she gets there. Greet her at the door so she doesn't have to knock, and cover the cage with a blanket while she's there.

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Well, just keep in mind that an APBT a lot of times won't show aggression in the same way that other dogs will. Whining and crying are usually signs of overexcitement or frustration. Even when they want to attack something they will whine and cry and yap. How does he react when you correct him? Does he comply, protest, ignore? How about exercise?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I would continue to keep the dog crated while the social worker is there. How long is she there at a time?

·
Registered
744 Posts
My :doggy: does exactly the same thing! If she cant greet visitors either because she's in the cage or chained she goes crazy. Even if it's someone familiar or not.

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
he listens to me when i give him comands. he listens the most when i say NO! so when he acts up when she is over, i go to the crate stand right next to it and say NO! he will sit down and look at me. then i leave and he is fine for about 10 mins and then he is at it again. she comes to visit for about a half hour to an hour. sometimes its only like 15 mins though. and after she leaves he is perfectly fine again but only till her car is out of sight. it would be so much easier if i could get her to calm down her mood around him. i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to put him out side when she comes but i dont want him to act the same outside the whole time and have him even more stressed cuz he cant see whats going on and then have all the neighbors think my dog is psycho.if by exersize you mean physical and not training exersizes my dog is very athletic. if im not walking him im wrestling with him or playing frisebe with him so he's usually mellow.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I would just leave him in the cage and ignore him the whole time. No attention at all. Espeically if she is only there for 15-30 mins.

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is a good idea but sometimes it gives me a headache and my neighbors down stairs will bang on their cieling but they are cool and never make it a big issue. sometimes they comfront me about it but they say they understand because they had a dalmation like that and their neighbors wouldnt comply with them and the landlord made them get rid of the dog and they said they dont want the same thing to happen to anubus espesiall since they like him sooo much! i just feel bad for him and my neighbors! i wish my social worker could just get over it!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I agree with a couple people here I would leave him in the cage while she's there and ignore him and also he does sense her fear so that's probably why he growls at her....... you can't approach a dog when your afraid of it and expect it to act normal when it's locked in a cage JMO I know others may see it different!!!!

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i agree you should never approach the dog when nervous. that situation she told me she felt comftorbal doing it but, i guess not. he loves to chew on cow ankle bones or those huge long cow bones that are seasoned. i will try that. usually when he is chewing on them he is in his own world. the only thing with those long ones (not the ankles) is he tends to actually eat them and i dont know if thats good or not so lately once they get very worn down i throw them away.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Every one of my dogs will growl and bark at you if they are in their crates, but as soon as you let them out they are all fine and loving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts