Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted our pitbull somewhat recently but he has been being trained as a service dog retriever here in Florida. Recently we started having an issue. He clings to me, which as a service dog, he should do, but when I leave him home with my partner, she tells me shes concerned because hes acting very nervous and scared. I brushed it off for a little bit but she just sent me videos and he looks like hes about to have an accident. Hes very scared of her. He is very well taken care of. Im curious if it is some kind of PTSD from his previous owners.

When I am home, he shows no signs at all of being nervous around her. She plays with him, feeds him, gives him water, gives him his meds, gives him treats. We are both very confused as to where this behavior has suddenly come from.

Does anyone have any tips on how she might be able to help him feel more comfortable around him. The way I understand it, he still makes an attempt to come see her and spend time with her, but then if she tries to pet him or give him any attention at all, he runs off.

I have contacted a trainer in hopes they may be able to help, but if anyone knows any things specifically about pitts that may help me help her to help him see shes not a threat and loves him very much, I would appreciate it more than you know.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I think getting a trainer to work with your partner and your dog is a great idea. In the meantime I would just keep up with more of the same when you are gone. They should to engage and give treats. Give the dog time and space when you are not home, let the dog come to your partner on their own, not try to force it on them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts