Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey: My name is Gail and my sons recently bought my husband a blue pitbull puppy, he was 4 wks. old when the man sold him to them. I feel in love with this puppy and now he's really mine, he's so sweet. But, last sunday he got sick and when all was said and done he was put in the hospital for parvo he's 9 wks. today. He should get outa the hospital tomorrow but I'm worried about if he'll be ok, eat right, act right, will he be ok like he was before he got sick. I sure hope so coz he was such a playful little thing and I hope that hasn't changed. And will he mature normally now or has this virus effected him in everyway or does that depend on the dog

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If your pup made it through the week he will be just fine it's a virus that passes like any other virus and shouldn't leave your pup with any permanent damage. The biggest thing with parvo is keeping them hydrated while the virus runs it's course. A pup @ 4 weeks old is way too young to leave it's mother at that age they are just beginning to wean from their mother's milk to solids. You will most likely have issues with bite inhibition which they would normally learn from their mother and litter mates. But because the pup was taken away so soon it has missed those critical stages and you will have to teach it to the pup yourself. Here is a thread you should read.

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/16152-my-puppy-bites-me-why-do-puppies-bite.html

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Welcome. Stick around and read some threads there is Tons to learn about the breed. First off blue is just a color not a breed or "special" and pit bull is two words. :) Post some pics of your pup and glad he will be ok!

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Ive had survivors that have missed out on the basics while i was concentrating on health. I find it hard to correct a sick pup cuz its lucky to be alive. when the pup returns home, get a grip on whats acceptable behaviour right away. dont let bad behaviour slide at all or youll have your hands full of correcting what you already built your relationship on. This is the oppurtunity to start fresh and end up with a well mannered dog

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Welcome lots of knowledge and experience here. Hope u stick around...good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts