Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, so i have about a 16 week old puppy who today around 2 pm got stung by a bee (I'm GUESSING.... it could be another insect bite, but i'm almost positive it is a bee sting) around 4 p.m after we took a nap n woke up, i noticed a little red bump on her nose, then a few minutes after that i noticed little patches of hair stickin up/bumps on her back, and found out they were hives.

I was about to get her, her shots and talked to the vet before i did so, and he said to wait off on the shots, until her allergic reaction goes away. He recommended half a tablet of benadryl, which i went n got for her right away.

It's about 5 p.m now, she took her dose of benadryl (which i had to hide in her food haha)

So I guess my question is if anyone has any suggestions, or similar incident that maybe happened to them/they had to go through, please let me know.

I know she's a dog, and an animal, and "in the wild these type of things happen all the time" but i love her a lot, and she means the world to me, so i'm just super worried bout her!

thank you for your time!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
did the benadryl help? thats the best thing for it, if it isnt getting worse or causing issues like trouble breathing or something I would just let it go its course. the benadryl is the best thing to give and then just keep an eye on her. Did youlook to see if a stinger was left in the site? if her tongue swells or you notice her starting to drool or have difficulty breathing get vet attention. If its just hives and bumps and the benadryl is working just watch her closely.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the benadryl did seem to help. She's stopped the scratching and what not, and she's jus passed out right now right next to me! haha.

But okay, ya, that sounds good. That's just what i'm going to do, it's just that seeing her with the hives and stuff drives me crazy! i hate to see her like this! ha.

but thank you! and i really hope it all just goes along well, and none of her symptoms get worse, or to the level of not breathing, or anything severe like that!!!

Idk what i'd do if anything happened to her! ha.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
usually benedryl does the trick.. .. if it doesnt and she starts doin any of the later stated.. to the vet.

Good advice! :goodpost:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
usually if they have a severe reaction like not being able to breathe it happens so fast you cant get help. I always tell people who have pets or young kids { you dont always know whatthey can be allergic to until they try stuff} to have a epi pen and to learn how to use it , alot of the time that can buy you enough time to get to help. I wouldnt be to worried now if it happened a bit ago its probably not that bad. the rash may look bad but if she is sleeping and relaxed and not scratchin chances are it isnt buggin her.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well that's really good to know, and really gives me a peace of mind knowing that. haha

thank you for the info!

Im thinking the benadryl knocked her out tho! hahah

·
Registered
67 Posts
Awww poor little girl :(

Our Zac had a wasp sting on the cheek a few years back, and within about 20mins, he looked like the elephant dog !! LOL ... very scarey tho :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahahah, thats hilarious. but i'm sure it was scary as all hell when it first happened

this was the first time i had ever seen a dog do that, or get hives before, and of all dogs, it was my own lil puppy i just got! haha

i was pretty freaked out at first, but she is fine now and perfectly happy and fine!!

it just sucks cause it happened the day i was going to get her shots, and now i have to wait till next sunday!! =/

oh well! at least she's okay!! haha

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I dont know if this works for dogs never had to try it but it works for people , if you happen to be out in the boonies or something with a smoker lol. But if you take tobacco and get it wet and make a wet patch kinds mud substance out of it and put it on the sting it takes the sting and swelling away . Worked on my aunt on her wedding day she got stung about 10 times a wasp got stuck in her shoulder of her dress. Probabaly would never work for me none of us smoke here lol, but good if your out on a trail or something if you or the dog gets stung it will help the swelling. Luna got stung this summer and had a bad reaction her face swelled so bad before we could get her help { even after benadryl} and her face split open in a few places by her mouth . Luckly she had no airway trouble and wasnt life threatning. We have epi pens now though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh thats horrible! poor girl!

Ya gucci had a break out that went from her butt, and slowly faded to her head as her butt cleared up, it was weird, ha, thank god she didn't hve any breathing problems as well.

what are these epi pens? they sound familiar, hah like i've heard of em before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts