Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 wk old pup is scared to be outside and it seems to be getting worse. I take him out and and he just turns to mush. It is defiantly affecting his house breaking. I take him out all the time sometimes every 30 minutes and all he wants is to come back inside and go on the floor. It's so weird like everything shuts down, he doesn't want to play or anything, a cat with a steak in its mouth could run by and he'd just stand there frozen. Any tips plz!! thanks!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Leave it out there alone as long as it takes, and he will get used to it.

Do you have a crate or dog house for him to use as his "safe" place? if so, then proceed with my above statement.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Do you encourage fun when outside? Does he have a favorite game or toy? Take it outside and show him that outside is fun fun FUN!Also treats when outside help ease the relationship. Also try leaving him at the back door and go lay in the yard and just have some puppy fun.. He will say " Hey what you doin? That looks like fun, maybe I should join."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long have you had him? has he been like this the whole time?
A week, he has been like this to a point since I got him. At first I could carry him outside and then once out he would kinda like being out there and it was not really too much of an issue. But now I place him down and nothing.

Leave it out there alone as long as it takes, and he will get used to it.

Do you have a crate or dog house for him to use as his "safe" place? if so, then proceed with my above statement.
Yes I have a crate for him that he seems to enjoy. But how cold it too cold to leave him out at his age?

Do you encourage fun when outside? Does he have a favorite game or toy? Take it outside and show him that outside is fun fun FUN!Also treats when outside help ease the relationship. Also try leaving him at the back door and go lay in the yard and just have some puppy fun.. He will say " Hey what you doin? That looks like fun, maybe I should join."
Yes, I run around with a dog toy in my hand like a dork. He responds a little but not much. I will try to kick up the treats a little outside.

Thanks

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Be a puppy too lol.. Lay in the yard and show that it is sooo much fun lol.. Roll over have a ball he will catch on :) Good luck man.

·
Registered
386 Posts
On a nice, reasonably warm day, set him outside and leave him for a while. He'll start nosing around out there and he'll figure out that its not bad or scary. He will like being outside eventually, just don't nurture his fear of being out there.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
On a nice, reasonably warm day, set him outside and leave him for a while. He'll start nosing around out there and he'll figure out that its not bad or scary. He will like being outside eventually, just don't nurture his fear of being out there.
Yes, and then soon enough he will learn how to dig holes and get into trouble and you won't be able to get him in :)

·
*Luke & Jesse*
1,372 Posts
Is there another dog in the house who he can go out with???

·
wheezie wayne
3,366 Posts
i agree with buly babe, its like doggy see doggy do. my dog rico was like yours, but now he never wants to come inside.

i have a 16 week old puppy that gets scared in new surroundings, i have been using high reward treats to coax him into new environments (hot dogs). it is working great and he is making the conection.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Everyone has given you great advice. I would do the specail toy outside thing if I were you. maybe a tug toy or a squeeky toy. Also you might just put him on a leash and meander around the yard he will have to follow you and he will start to poke around at his surroundings. Oh another thing you could try is to find treats in the yard when you set him downset him close to the treat so he "finds it" easily this could peek his curisousity so he will want to "find" more treats.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I just put him out with his crate and toys....also gave him a treat before I came in and he's barking at the door. He has spurts of interest in the yard and walks away from the door. I guess we'll see how this goes. Should I go out once in a while and give him a treat? Or just leave him?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so we spent about a half hour outside...i got down on the deck and rolled around with him and he seemed to enjoy it. Then i took him out in the yard and he did 1 and 2 so that was good. He actually played a little bit with his toys so I took that as a good sign. I will keep doing this and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts