Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP My puppy is really scared of people he doesnt know once you start to play with him he is fine and is cool with u and not scared but other then that he is , i have had him since 2 months and he is now 6 months what to do?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Has he always been a "shy guy" or is this something new? If he has always been like this, then you need to work on socializing and building his confidence to get him out of his shell so to speak. And if that is the case, the longer you wait, the more work you will need to put in. There are other people here that are far more knowledgeable than me, so maybe they will chime in.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Socialization is key... That's the first thing I'd consider, is how much exposure you gave him between 2 months and now. JMO

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's very easy to socialize your puppy. We live by the river and there is constantly alot of people riding bikes or walking. If you have a puppy on your hands, people will stop and want to pet them. Happens to us all the time when we are out. Another thing you may want to try is community functions, like events with lots of people. Get down on the ground with your puppy so they and calm them while someone pets them.

Like most here have posted Socialization is the Key ! For halloween there was a community function for kids called the river walk. We took our puppy out and had to stop every 10 minutes because people wanted to pet her. It was also a wonderful training experience for our dog and us. Teaching her to sit when attention comes, to prevent her from jumping and knocking folks over. Also to when we were stopped she would sit and just look at the other people and the dogs walking by. If you don't keep your puppy socialized it will be alot harder in the long run to keep her behaved.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would take him out for walks around people, but only take him so far at a time. I think that if you took him for a long one he might become a little scared, so gradually ease him into longer ones that maybe have more people around. That is what I did with my dog because she was a bitch scared and shy also. It seemed to do the trick.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Get him into a puppy obedience class, that is great socialization for him. Also get him out as much as possible but do not make ppl say hi to him, let him go up on his own. They can give hims treats to get him to go closer but do not hold him and make ppl touch him, that will make it worse.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
If it is due to lack of socialization than you can certainly help it by doing many of the things suggested.
If it is lack of confidence obedience class will help you greatly.

If however it is an issue with the temperament those things may help but they will never truly fix the pups issue.

Just keep a close eye on the pup as sometimes fear leads to fear aggression.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That is what I was going to say Patch. Socialization will help if it is just that the pup scared. If it was a bad breeding and turns out to be a temperment issue all the socialing in the world will not help you.

Start out slow just walk your pup around town. See what stores allow you to come in the your pup. Praise him but don't keep syaing things like its alright and baby your pup. You want to build confidence in him. While you are dong all this walking around it is a great time to work on obedience too. He can learn to sit before you cross the street, wait while you open the doors and sit or lay down to be petted. Before you let just anyone pet your dog watch his reaction. If he shies away just talk to the people instead of leaning over him. Let him smell them and maybe have them offer him a treat but make him walk them to get it instead of them trying to reach him to give him the treat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts