Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just bought my first pitbull puppy on Christmas Eve.

At that time, he was exactly 6 weeks old. I know this is earlier than recommended, but it was for Christmas so we got him early.

I understand this is going to mean more work for me, but I am more than happy to do whatever it takes for my pup to have a successful, happy life.

It's only been three days, so I know accidents are still going to happen. I have his room setup where the food and water, crate, and puppy pad/newspaper is all separate.

For some reason, he does not want to potty on the pads or newspaper. The breeder had them using newspaper when I got him so I figured I would try and put that over the pad since he wasn't using it.

I have kept a eagle eye on him since I've gotten him. When I catch him in the act, I abruptly tell him "NO" and carry him over to the papers quickly as possible. Sometimes he will finish all the way there, and I will praise him in a positive tone "good boy!" etc. and sometimes give him a little treat.

Other times though, he just stops completely as soon as I pick him up and he doesn't want to stay on the papers/pad. After he does this he will act normal like he doesn't have to go, then walk somewhere else besides the paper/pad again and try to finish. He doesn't seem like he's trying to go in a certain area, just anywhere BESIDES where he is supposed to.

Ultimately I am wanting to train him to go outside, but unfortunately that isn't a option right now. I live in IL and it has been below freezing since I got him and we have about 4 inches of snow on the ground right now. Since he is still so little, his hair is really short/fine and he gets cold extremely easy.

If there is any more information I can provide you guys that would be helpful, just let me know. Ace is a male, born November 12th, 2009.

Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community!

-Tanner & Ace

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
IMO this puppy was far to young to be taken from its mother. Some people do not realize that tho a 2 weeks difference from 8 weeks which may be the average time in which breeders may start letting them leave their mother ... IS a huge difference when it comes to development. Every day with mom and litter is leaps and bounds in a pups health, growth mentally and physically are achieved. They learn things from the mother and litter mates that you will have a hard time doing.
And it maybe be cold but even it if wasn't taking that pup outside would not be in its best interest. You chose to take him this young its going to take time and lots of patience to teach him where you want him to go. Right now its like teaching a 6 month old child to use the pottie ... wanting him to go in one spot. He will have to use the bathroom regularly more often then that of a 8/9/10 week old. Poor things ears aren't even fully up. You can continue to place him where you want him to go but by no means right now think its going to catch on any time soon sorry.
Others perhaps have some ideas but honestly this was far to early.
And please by no means take that pup outside he needs to stay warm.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Welcome stick around every one shares good info here.

·
Banned
4,383 Posts
cute pup! way too young!! he needs his mommy!! poor guy welcome to the site and good luck with this lil guy.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Cute baby. When he is a bit older he will learn that he is supposed to go on the paper. He will need a large area of paper being so young like paper the whole kitchen. After he starts using one area start taking one sheet at a time away. If he messes in an unpapered area put the paper back. Do this over a couple of weeks.

If he's running around in the house you have to watch him and move him to the large papered area each time he needs to go or after eating/waking up. He has no control of his bladder at this age so when he feels the need he's just gonna go where he is at the time.

I made knitted/crocheted a sweater for a puppy I had in the winter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input and advice everyone!

To the ears comment, that picture is him only at 3 weeks (sorry, will update new pics soon)

Like I said, I realize I took him in about 2 weeks too early. There is nothing I can do about that now but provide him the best care and attention as possible.

I am self employed and work from home, so that will be an advantage in the amount of time I get to spend with him to assure he is doing fine.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
He looks WAY to young to be away from mom. Is that how old he is right now in that pic? like 4-5 wks old. hes cute. Good luck with him :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chinadog,

He is only 3 weeks in the picture I provided.

I have edited the post to clarify that, and will be taking some pictures today and updating it so everyone can see what he looks like now.

Thank you :)

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
we'd love to see some new pictures of him, if you upload some! my first pup was from a BYB and he came to me at 6 weeks. The breeder said 6 weeks was a "fine time" to take him and that she has been "doing this for 15 years". Me, being young and not knowing much at all, I took him home and we had a LOT of problems and I think it had a lot to do with those 2 crucial weeks. I have learned a lot, and I will not get a pup from a breeder at 6 weeks EVER again, unless there are some severe circumstances.

Having said that, work on crate training him because puppies do not want to go potty where they sleep. make sure his crate is the right size, there are many threads on the site that you can search for that will help you to learn to properly divide the crate for his age, and as soon as he comes out of the crate and as soon as he is done eating and drinking, take him to the paper. keep using a designated word "potty" or "pee pee" or whatever you choose, and watch him and keep him on the paper until he goes. When they're that young I will take them to potty whenever I see them sniffing and also at regular intervals of 1/2 hr or an hour or whatever. Make sure you praise him like all get out when he does what you want, and it's just a work in progress. puppies go potty where they aren't supposed to, it's a party of puppyhood :)

good luck, stick around and learn as much as you can!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we'd love to see some new pictures of him, if you upload some! my first pup was from a BYB and he came to me at 6 weeks. The breeder said 6 weeks was a "fine time" to take him and that she has been "doing this for 15 years". Me, being young and not knowing much at all, I took him home and we had a LOT of problems and I think it had a lot to do with those 2 crucial weeks. I have learned a lot, and I will not get a pup from a breeder at 6 weeks EVER again, unless there are some severe circumstances.

Having said that, work on crate training him because puppies do not want to go potty where they sleep. make sure his crate is the right size, there are many threads on the site that you can search for that will help you to learn to properly divide the crate for his age, and as soon as he comes out of the crate and as soon as he is done eating and drinking, take him to the paper. keep using a designated word "potty" or "pee pee" or whatever you choose, and watch him and keep him on the paper until he goes. When they're that young I will take them to potty whenever I see them sniffing and also at regular intervals of 1/2 hr or an hour or whatever. Make sure you praise him like all get out when he does what you want, and it's just a work in progress. puppies go potty where they aren't supposed to, it's a party of puppyhood :)

good luck, stick around and learn as much as you can!
First, thank you for a lot of great information and sharing your experience. My breeder also said the same thing and I am 20 (seems to be about the same situation you were in)

The crate I have is perfect size for him, no room for him to go into a corner and potty. I have a nice comfortable crate bed inside with some warm, soft blankets in there with him as well as one of my shirts and his favorite toy.

I have been trying to get him to enjoy his crate as much as possible. I leave the door open so he can go in there on his own and get used to it. When he does, I give him a treat and praise him.

I've had dogs since I was just an infant and love animals with a passion and understand fully the patience and time required to take care of a puppy (especially this young)

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Your headed in the right direction I just want to let you know this. Finding information, accepting advice and seeking to know more is one step forward in the right direction.
Use the search engine about I'm sure you will find more then everything you need.
Good Luck ~!!
And yes what Megan said new pics we LOVE pix we're addicted ~!! lol
And Welcome

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
Welcome to the site...cute lil pup:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As promised, here are some pics I have taken the past couple days (sorry for iPhone quality pics)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you guys!!!

I will be getting him into the vet this week just for a check up, and then his shots etc at the designated times :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
hey about how long til a pup is completely housebroken? mine is just over 12 weeks and doin well but we still have accidents almost daily... sometimes he goes to the door sometimes he doesn't. if i hear or see him start to pee i yell "no" or "bad dog" right away and pick him up n put him where he's supposed to go and praise him lots when he does good. i let him out in the morning as soon as he wakes up and about every 2 hours throughout the day and whenever i notice him sniffing or when he gets squirmy when i'm holding him... any more suggestions or advice? or hopes as to when i don't have to be on high alert if i fall asleep on the couch??? :) :) :) i wake up from a dead sleep if i hear any drops of water anymore which is great since i have 2 dogs and a kitty that LOVE drinking water... haha

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
it's honestly imo different from dog to dog. my husky took about 6 months before i was sure that if i turned my back he wouldn't take a pee while i wasn't looking. belle, my pittie mix was housebroken my 4 1/2 months old, and i swear Rudi was housebroken by 3 months but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was on her ALL the time and she took after Belle and it was very easy. My husky was living outdoors when I got Belle so she didn't have him to help her out, i think Rudi just did whatever Belle did, haha.

So 3 1/2 months old isn't getting up there yet or anything, just keep on him and you will definitely make progress. i wouldn't fall asleep with him that young regardless just hangin' around, if you think you're going to fall asleep put him in his crate if he's not being watched, he is quite young and i can imagine likes to chew on things.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts