Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pit is very nice and calm dog. She gets along with most of animals. Sometimes she does not like new dogs, but she just needs to see them more then once. She does not like cats very much, but mostly ignores it. We got a big parrot recently and the problems began. She just goes crazy!!! Shaking as son as she sees him and tries to bite it as fast as possible. At this moments she does not hear anything! We made little progress- she hated him in the cage as well as our and was trying to throw it on flor. Right now she des not notice him in the cage. We stuck on that level, she still wants to eat him when he is out. How can I correct this behavior? Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,345 Posts
I think you should research this breed and what mixes of the APBT breed are like. You have a dog that has prey drive, that's part of the breed. If you wanted a dog that is friendly with dogs and animals this is the wrong breed for you to be with. Some will get along with them, but as I said these dogs tend to have prey drive. Keep the bird in another room away from the dog. Otherwise the bird will eventually get eaten.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you should research this breed and what mixes of the APBT breed are like. You have a dog that has prey drive, that's part of the breed. If you wanted a dog that is friendly with dogs and animals this is the wrong breed for you to be with. Some will get along with them, but as I said these dogs tend to have prey drive. Keep the bird in another room away from the dog. Otherwise the bird will eventually get eaten.
As much as it sucks, this is true. Any amount of reasearch would have told you about the prey drive. My Jaxx dislikes (huge understatement) anything small and noisy, but dogs his size and up he is fine with. You will have to keep them in seperate rooms or, as stated, your pup might have some extra protein for the day. Not trying to be mean, I just want to save you a headache and heartbreak.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,345 Posts
That's what we are doing right now. We do not let them be together in the same room. However, I still believe that my dog will learn the way to tolerate the bird

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
If it is worth the risk to your birds life, then you are welcome to believe that. Also being as I have raised parrots for many years you are going to seriously mess up the bird when the dog goes for it.

I hate to be rude, but I care about the animal staying alive and without temperament issues which are all to easily instilled, but hard to solve in birds.

I have raised livestock, birds, rodents and an uncountable other number of animals with my dogs. Very rarely is there a dog that is not going to kill a bird. They are prey driven animals and just because you want the to "get along" that will not change the fact that they are animals and do not play by your rules when it comes to instinct. Same goes for Dog Aggression which is all to common with these dogs as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is worth the risk to your birds life, then you are welcome to believe that. Also being as I have raised parrots for many years you are going to seriously mess up the bird when the dog goes for it.

I hate to be rude, but I care about the animal staying alive and without temperament issues which are all to easily instilled, but hard to solve in birds.

I have raised livestock, birds, rodents and an uncountable other number of animals with my dogs. Very rarely is there a dog that is not going to kill a bird. They are prey driven animals and just because you want the to "get along" that will not change the fact that they are animals and do not play by your rules when it comes to instinct. Same goes for Dog Aggression which is all to common with these dogs as well clutch size of raw parrot must check this.
SonId love to get a dog again but my priorities lie with my precious Perjo. Maybe a year or two down the road I’ll consider a dog but I feel it’s best to get a puppy due to A) the size and B) it’s relative innocence and ability to train to accept and treat Perjo properly.

Any idea what to expect from my Perjo if I got a puppy, she’s a tad skidding about new things so I imagine a puppy would be a big change for her.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Conner, so far, is good with the birds. Should that change, he will be crated when they are out.
I watch, looking for any little change. He really doesn't pay attention unless one ends up on the floor. And then he looks to me, hey this ain't right. He sits quietly while we put the bird back on their play gym.
Since the dog in question is already not a birdie friend candidate, that is not going to improve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts