Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old male pit bull terrier. the other days he was bitten by another dog. he has a cut under his chin. Luckily it is very small and barely penetrated the skin. it is healing well, i have been tending to it several times a day. i have been using hyrdogen peroxide and neosporin.
He has been doing well around other dogs (well my roomates dog, she is the only dog he has been around since the accident).

I am just looking for advice in general whether its how to treat the wound or how to re-introduce him to other dogs. just any type of advice will be very appreciated. thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Stop the peroxide. It will just eat the parts the are healing. Light soap and water to cleanse and then keep it clean and dry. Watch for infection and neosporin can be used.

In regards to the aggressive play take a look at some of the stickies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been watching it like a hawk for any signs of infection. and I will definitely stop the peroxide, thank you.

and i will also look at those stickies, thanks.

But he hasn't showed signed of aggression though. my roommate has a Chihuahua and they get along great. but the chihuahua has i guess you can say big dog syndrome and likes to bark and growl (but never acts on it, she gets too scared and runs away lol). Dakota (my pup) tried walking in my roommates room and the chihuahua growled and he got scared and ran to my room. he never did that until after the bite.

and like id rather him be scared of other dogs than aggressive towards them, but i also want him to be social with other dogs still too.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Sounds like he maybe just got put in his place by the other dog, However as your dog matures especially within the next 5-6 months you may see a change.
I would read up on the dog aggression threads and prepare yourself for it. They can play IF you are there are ALL times to supervise and if they play nicely. Your dog sounds to be showing some fear issues right whether that is related to being bit or not should be addressed. If he is scared of the chi, don't force him to be with him .if he can not run from what he is scared of like if the chi corners him the next option will be to attack which is what fear aggression is.
They really don't need other doggy friends but I get why you would want them to get along to play being in the same house and all.
Just do some reading here in the threads already made on this subject , use the search at the top. Anything specific you need clarified or can't find the answer just ask.

I agree with stopping the peroxide as Amy pointed out, if it isn't bad just add the neosporin on it and it should be fine.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
He hasn't shown any signs of aggression becasue he is a puppy. When he starts to mature its going to be a whole other world when it comes to other dogs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all so much.

one thing, he isn't scared of the chi. he couldnt see her when she growled, and i think it was the growl that scared him. they play and she growls alot and it doesn't phase him when he can see her, i think it was becasue he couldn't she who/what the growl came from.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Oh ok , well still read up on the dog aggression you may start to see a change in the next few months { not always but typically if it happens it is between 10 months - 2 years} Just be prepared and then thankfull if you never have to deal with it. better safe then sorry. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a pit but I think he may be mixed with something else. He was around my miniature pinscher for a year until she got out of my fence & hit by a car on the 4th of July. He turned 1 June 5th. They were always fine together. Same thing with my cat. I did notice after I got him neutered right before he turned 6 months old, he seemed to get more territorial or dominant at my house toward other dogs when a couple of my friends brought theirs over to my house. I recently bought a little pit/husky mix & he showed teeth at first & I thought he'd just get over it & used to her but instead, when I went out of the room for 30 seconds at most I heard her yelping really loud, ran in there & blood soaked in my carpet, all over a toy that they both liked to play with & took her to the emergency vet & my little puppy has a cracked skull, swelling on her brain & she is completely blind now.

I thought I would give him another play mate but my being naive cost me a fortune in medical bills but worse than that, its a very good chance that she will never regain her sight. However, she is improving very well so far. Your puppy may always get along great with your friend's Chihuahua since he was raised with it but trying to bring another dog into their territory is a whole other ballgame. You can read my thread if you haven't already.

I agree with neosporin. That's what I have always used on wounds on my dogs & just let it air dry. He should be just fine with that. I do however wonder since my friend's dog bit mine twice once when he was a puppy here at my house if that played a factor in the dog aggression but what I've learned from the people here with tons of experience with this breed of dogs is that its their nature & you can "manage" it but it will always be there. :(

Just listen to their advice. I wished I had asked on here about getting a new puppy before I did it & then set my dog up for failure & more than likely ruined the puppy's chance of having a normal life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely read up on DA more and prepare myself for it to be on the safe side. I'm trying to get him out and around other dogs as much as possible to help get him socialized while he is young and lovable, and try to minimize/manage DA with him.

I'm so sorry that you had to experience that :(

An as for the cut, it is healing extremely well :) it has scabbed over and the are no signs of irritation or infection....at least yet. I still wash lighly with soap and water and apply neosporin approx. 2 times a days.

Luckily, he is still his same lovable self and is still getting along very well with any dog we bring him around, even after the bite. Thankfully. At least for now.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Like others have stated... Very good chance when he is older he will buck back if a dog confronts him... Keep good eye on him

1 - 11 of 11 Posts