Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get concerned. Lately, my pup has been growling a lot more often, especially if I take her toy away or crate her. She doesn't directly growl at anyone but if someone doesn't play with her, for example, she will walk away and growl.

Should I be worried?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If she is not growling at you when you take the toy away or directly at you then she could just be a talkative dog. My first working dog was very growly but not at me he just made a lot of noise but is was not in an aggressive manner. Is it ever directed at you?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have a dog who sounds like she is growling at times but she just has alot to say lol , she will grunt at me , howl like a hound dog and do this lil growl thing. I agree with performance kennel if its at you or towards an item take the item away and correct her. wouldnt really worry.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
pheonix will growl real low under his breath when he gets excited :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's been acting up in all sorts of weird ways lately. Aside from the the growling, she's been biting onto people's pants and she won't stop when I try to correct her, but she used to listen. I've done absolutely nothing different from the past few days. Her biting is also a lot much harder than it was before. I got her to start nibbling gently by saying "OUCH!" and stopping play time with her whenever she would bite too hard but now she's acting up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could have went so terribly wrong? She hasn't been herself at all...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
how old is she? puppys do go through this rebellious stage kinda like the terrible 2's lol. alot of correction and consitency. I use a very loud and firm OUCH when my pup bites and usually startles him to atleast stop for a second and then a NO , and deff as you say your doing stop play time or whatever you are doing with him , no attention after ect. when he calms down then pet and praise. nothing you have really mentioned seems odd or reason to worry to much seems kinda like normal puppy behaviour. if you dont correct her now thought thats how things can escalade as she grows older and bigger. set rules now and be firm easier at this age :)

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
She's been acting up in all sorts of weird ways lately. Aside from the the growling, she's been biting onto people's pants and she won't stop when I try to correct her, but she used to listen. I've done absolutely nothing different from the past few days. Her biting is also a lot much harder than it was before. I got her to start nibbling gently by saying "OUCH!" and stopping play time with her whenever she would bite too hard but now she's acting up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could have went so terribly wrong? She hasn't been herself at all...
Check this out:
Sirius Dog Training
Sirius Dog Training

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the whole puppy biting concept but it's not working like it used to. Before, going "OWWW" would work. She'd settle down and resort to nibbling every once in a while. Now...

She'll chase after EVERYTHING that walks and starts biting it. And when I say "OWWWW!" and stop play time. She barks at me...

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
lol my dogs could care less if I said oww! You need to correct the behavior there are a lot of topics like this in this training section and cover this very topic. You can read through some and find what you need. It is a typical puppy dominance and behavior you just need to correct.

here is a similar thread read to page 2
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/35306-help-discipline.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Her bites are starting to hurt TOO much. She doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between a toy and a human's limb. How can I solve this?

I've tried getting her to stop by growling and holding her in a submissive position (that worked once), exhibiting pain (worked till about a few weeks ago), what else can I do?

She's stopped growling around me but I think I heard her growling at my other family members today as I was waking up. If her behavior gets any worse, I think I may have to let her go. I've been consistent with my training and I've done my best reading up on all the advice her but NOTHING seems to work.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Just sounds like puppy issues, before you give up on her you should take her to a good dog trainer that can help you, you obviously are not doing something correct or the behavior would have stopped. Did you read that link I posted? Temperament issues in such a young pup are rare but if you think that is what is going on then have a trainer evaluate the dog.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I have read the links you've posted. I've always corrected her bad behavior but she always seems to revert back to her bad behavior the next day.

I also live with a few of my nephews (ages 8-10). They're REALLY good with her... except she bites them A LOT and now they don't like her as much. Maybe it's just the puppy "terrible two's" but I get really concerned when she starts growling and barking at the family.

Anyone know any good trainers in Southern California?

·
Registered
147 Posts
el monte isn't that far from OC. I have a very good trainer i can recommend send me a PM i can give you his contact info, he has helped me a lot with my pit.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yes, I have read the links you've posted. I've always corrected her bad behavior but she always seems to revert back to her bad behavior the next day.

I also live with a few of my nephews (ages 8-10). They're REALLY good with her... except she bites them A LOT and now they don't like her as much. Maybe it's just the puppy "terrible two's" but I get really concerned when she starts growling and barking at the family.

Anyone know any good trainers in Southern California?
I can look for you if you pm or post your zip code and city, If you are having issues then something is missing in your training and getting help should fix it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The bad behavior will not go away after only one day... you have to stay consistent with your corrections, it may take at least a few weeks to correct her behavior. My suggestion would be to pick one way of correcting (it might have to be a little more harsh than just saying "oww", like a pop to the collar or something) and stick with it. Also, keep her away from the children until the behavior is corrected. You don't want an accident to happen and have something happen to your dog. Kids can exaggerate things, and puppies can hurt kids easily. Keep them separated and work on your pup's behavior by yourself, if you involve too many people, she might get confused. Please, don't give up so easliy and resort to getting rid of her, you're only going to make her behavior worse by re-homing her or bringing her to a shelter, and she could end up being put to sleep because of it. You wouldn't give up on a human child, would you?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
How's she coming along, Vince?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts