Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

I'm posting here because I am seeking advice regarding a shelter dog I am going to be adopting in the coming weeks. The shelter has labeled her as a "pit bull" mix based on her appearance. And quite frankly I dont care what breed she is, I'm not looking for a APBT, I just love this dog. My concern is, BSL. I wasnt sure if this was more of a general question or a BSL question, but when you have a rescue dog, and you get flack because it looks like a pit bull, what do you usually say? I'm just looking for advice as how to keep my girl safe. Who knows if she is a APBT, and I personally don't care, I didnt go into the shelter looking for a certain breed, I looked for a dog who would suit my active lifestyle. And its her. Also do you have any advice as to what to license her as? Since I need a certain breed in my city. I can't just say "mix".

The more I read about BSL the more stressed out I get, I wish the shelter would have never guessed what she was.

Thanks for any input!

ps Here is her picture:

--Amy

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
the bsl legislation usually has something in it to the effect of "if it even resembles a pit then it is one". its usually county based so theres places you wont be able to go. as far as haters ive never met any that were bad really

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Alot of times shelters can be wrong on there guess so dont always go off what they say. obviously If you can narrow down a breed or 2 in there it gives you somewhere to look for with things like health issues known in that breed, behavioural issues, energy levels and other things you want to look into before buying a dog to make sure it fits your lifestyle. If you have a picture we can take a guess as the shelter has done lol, but nothing is for sure as you already know without proper pedigrees. As far as the BSL you can label her as a mutt or cross breed rescue without papers showing she is something other then that who can call you a liar? The thing with BSL though is the majority of he public and media dont evenknow what a true APBT looks like so anything bulldog is labeled as one from american bullys, dogos, american bulldogs, boxers ect so if your dog falls within those looks no matter what you call her she will still be seen as such in the publics eyes. If you have bans in place where you are or housing restrictions where you live on breeds allowed then I would have to think twice about taking in a dog wit this image. If its just the overall perception you are worried about then thats up to you, most of us on here have dealt with snide remarks and snooty glares from outsiders who are uneducated about the breed , its part of owning them. Thi breed has alot more ups then downs it just sometimes takes owning one to see that and get past what the media portrays them to be.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
welcome, yeah BSL sucks and does not care if your dog is pure bred or not. They go off of looks, which is extremely unfair especially to those dogs who have no type of APBT in them. As of what to put the breed, my vet said he would put boxer for me, but see what your vet would agree to. I understand about not wanting to raise flags, but if you live in an area that has BSL, your dog would normally fall under that broad classification even if he is a mix so you should be aware and maybe think about moving to a place strict with BSL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I know a few of my friend have APBT type dogs, at least that have the same appearance, and they have them licensed as American Bulldog mixes. But Boxer/lab is a great idea too. Thanks!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
It doesn't matter what you have a dog labeled as. Your dog could be labeled a poodle for all that matters, but if there is BSL in your area your dog will be targeted as a pitbull type dog. It goes by whatever official is viewing your dog and whether they say it resembles a pitbull or pitbull mix. They don't care about APBT, American Bully or boxer mix. If it looks like it has pitbull type breeds to them that is all that matters and what will make the difference of if BSL effects you and your dog.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They don't care about APBT, American Bully or boxer mix. If it looks like it has pitbull type breeds to them that is all that matters and what will make the difference of if BSL effects you and your dog.
So basically, I just have to hope that in my remaining time in this city that no one bothers me. Pretty much have to lay low with her. I know a few of my friends have gotten flack for their pitbull type dogs, but nothing serious ever happened, but my current city does have BSL, but apparently its not really enforced as I see these types of dogs all over my city.

Thanks!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Yeah I would just lay low. Unfortunately no matter what the breed or mix it all goes by looks with officials. If you keep to your own and your dog doesn't cause problems you shouldn't have an issue if your BSL isn't really enforced in your town.

I would like to point out this is a major issue with BSL. They don't have the funding or ability to enforce current laws so when adding new BSL they don't have the ability to manage that either...

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
some cities have different bans. In Boston, just pups who live within the city need to be muzzled. Each BSL is different depending on where you live. They also change all the time. Recently the law in Ohio was on the books to label any pit bull type dog, but it is now by dangerous dog depending on incidents, not just because of the potential breed itself. Any dog could be considered dangerous. not sure when the law goes into effect and if its only in Columbus area or the state.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
The state of Ohio has been a hot bed of prejudice, though they are now considering amending some of their faulty laws. It's still under vote and not a state I would be comfortable owning a 'pit bull' looking dog in.

If there is BSL in your area, you need to know EXACTLY what it says and what the ramifications are for your dog if you are 'caught'. As others have mentioned, BSL ranges from muzzling in public, or certain licenses, or having your dog altered all the way to straight 'we see your dog, we think it is a Pit Bull, we will kill it, we will even come to your house while you are at work so we can do so' (Denver, for example)

It doesn't matter how many people you see who break whatever law is in place, you have to understnd what can happen to you and your dog under said law. BSL is costly to enforce and there are always tons of law breakers, but if you DO happen to be one of the (insert quota here) that they pull in, what happens to your dog? To you?

Areas with BSL don't give a frick what your vet says the dog is, what the shelter says the dog is and most importantly what YOU say the dog is..... not like they haven't heard the Boxer mix explanation before AND not that they haven't euthanized actual Boxer mixes because they have no clue. THEY are the only authority they need. No one will question it.

Most of Ohio's laws deal with calling the entire breed, or anything resmebling the breed to be 'vicious' so you may need registration or licensing or whatever, depending on city. Rather than 'laying low' and hoping to not get caught, abide by whatever laws are in place locally and get the hell out of there. (or abide by the current local laws and hope the change being worked on passes the vote)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would register her as a Staffy. If you do not know and trust the breeder, odds are your dog is a mix. I hate to put it this way, but if she was in Denver CO, ......

Nice Bull Dog! She has the Bull Dog (APBT - the first Bull Dog) look to her. My guess is she has APBT in her.

Tell them that you posted her photo, did the research, and found her to be a Staffordshire Terrier.
Good find.
Tim

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Well she's a shelter dog that made it through the system and temperament testing and thus adoption .... have the tags always fresh and chiming and your paperwork close by.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My favorite thing was when i got my dogs licensed with the city and i asked if since my girls papers say American bulldog mix, if I should put that down and i got the reply "american bulldog and pits are the same...so it doesnt matter" lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
The state of Ohio has been a hot bed of prejudice, though they are now considering amending some of their faulty laws. It's still under vote and not a state I would be comfortable owning a 'pit bull' looking dog in.

If there is BSL in your area, you need to know EXACTLY what it says and what the ramifications are for your dog if you are 'caught'. As others have mentioned, BSL ranges from muzzling in public, or certain licenses, or having your dog altered all the way to straight 'we see your dog, we think it is a Pit Bull, we will kill it, we will even come to your house while you are at work so we can do so' (Denver, for example)

It doesn't matter how many people you see who break whatever law is in place, you have to understnd what can happen to you and your dog under said law. BSL is costly to enforce and there are always tons of law breakers, but if you DO happen to be one of the (insert quota here) that they pull in, what happens to your dog? To you?

Areas with BSL don't give a frick what your vet says the dog is, what the shelter says the dog is and most importantly what YOU say the dog is..... not like they haven't heard the Boxer mix explanation before AND not that they haven't euthanized actual Boxer mixes because they have no clue. THEY are the only authority they need. No one will question it.
Most of Ohio's laws deal with calling the entire breed, or anything resmebling the breed to be 'vicious' so you may need registration or licensing or whatever, depending on city. Rather than 'laying low' and hoping to not get caught, abide by whatever laws are in place locally and get the hell out of there. (or abide by the current local laws and hope the change being worked on passes the vote)
:goodpost:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.