Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...I am new to this site and I can't seem to upload pics into an album so I guess I'll just show off my pit through this pictures thread. Anyways here is Shorty my pit and If anyone lives in the Vancouver Canada area drop me a line cuz I am trying to socialize Shorty with other dogs little by little. I think the only type of breed I can feel comfortable doing this with is this breed cuz they normally can hold there own if she gets angry or anything like that. Shes getting better cuz you'll notice that there are pics of her and other dogs but when I first got her she wanted to kill any other dog in her site. Progress is slow but there is noticeable improvement so I just need patients and more friends that she can play with once she gets to know them.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Cute dog. I would however worry more about socializing with people vs other dogs. There are plenty of threads on here talking about DA and it sounds like if she gets "angry" with other dogs at times she may be a bit DA which is normal with this breed. Id wouldnt allow her to play with other dogs outside of your home { like dog parks and such} for this reason alone. If something does pop off regardless of who started it your dog will be to blame in the media just based on the breed, let alone if 2 pitbulls get into it and end up on the news that would set us back a huge step. Im in surrey { you already know:) } But we are slowly seeing bans lifting here like the one in Delta that just lifted , we need to keep this breed out of the media { atleast in the bad light} so we can continue to move forward with this BSL. Dont set your dog up to fail .
I dont allow my dogs to interact with any outside dogs period { we have been attacked by "friendly " family breed dogs in the park } and I just dont trust any dog out there. Some of my dogs are DA to some extent some havent ever shown signs but I treat them all the same , no outside dogs allowed period. HOWEVER people i try and socialize them with anywhere and everywhere as well as new environments. Thats what you should try and socialize with more vs the other dogs.

Reactions: dixieland

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what your talking about and I do not let her off leash when we are walking and I'll let dogs sniff her but pending on her mood I might let her sniff them. That is why I want her to meet other pits and it would obviously be at a house and not in the open cuz she has to get to know the dog first. I never take her out for walks with one of her dog friends cuz that is when she gets into the pack mentality and she has to protect. Unless I have someone there holding the other dog/s but I wont do it with me holding both dogs, I've learned my lesson lol! As for people she is normally good with people especially kids but I do not let anyone just walk up to her and pet her unless they ask to pet her I can ease her into trusting the person and shes good. I do not need a law suit cuz of irresponsable care so I am always on guard when I am out with her but thanks for the heads up.

By the way...what does DA and BSL stand for cuz I got the jist of what you were saying but didn't really understand the whole deal cuz I don't know what they stand for.

Oh yeah...check this out I got Shorty a new rain coat

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LMAO at the rain coat she looks thrilled. DA = dog aggression BSL=Breed specific legislation. { so the bans we see in places against our breed , or the muzzle laws some municipalities have against them.}

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Cute pics and dog!I'm glad you decided to stick around.:)
As angel was saying if she's DA I wouldn't even have her around other dogs.DA is perfectly normal with this breed,you just have to be responsible with it to make sure no accidents happen.They much rather prefer human companionship to dog companionship anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.