Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several have asked for pictures of what I most recently trained so these would be the 2 most recent. 7 year old yellow lab field trial winner, upland and waterfowel hunter tested and competed. Then its a 3 year old black lab blood tracking dog and couch potato!! Both adopted pups.

Sorry normally Im behind the camera and only got a digital a year or so ago.

Lobo on a 200 yard retrieve from a triple blind mark...2 faults

Lobo on point with a pheasant...took alot to train a retriever to point.

My father and Lobo waiting for the ducks to turn on!

Cash my blood tracking dog on a 36 hour blood trail which crossed the stream...down winding finding cross point.

Cash lapping me int he lagoon of our summer home...burns me out faster than the pup!!

Me training Cash for water retrieval and general obedience

Cash after a couple hours of water work...chill time!

My boys and I on the beach in the winter for our daily exercise!

My boys and I after a 6 mile hike...they were exhausted with them hills!

I know they aren't bulldogs but these are my pride and joys...best pups Ive ever owned! Soon enough I'll pictures of my new pup once I settle in on one.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Those are some great shots. I look forward to getting to know you and the dogs that own you lol. :)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
awesome pics, my white boy, Orion is 1/4 Lab, always wanted a black lab, wonderful dogs, and great pics, thansk for sharing :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
Awww I love labs :) I had a Lab since I was 7 and he lived up until I was 23 he was a very loyal dog and very intelligent! Great pictures! U made me miss my Lab :( lol

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I know a lot of people on here aren't lab people. But I myself LOVE them. I grew up with a lab mix(we think lab/rot/shepard)
She was a wonderful dog! Best personality. If I knew about the CGC test years ago,she would have passed with flying colors. She actually looked a lot like your black one. :3

We had a yellow lab we rescued from an abuse case a while back too. She was a good dog. But she ran away and we never found her. :(

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Awsome picture. Lost of work goes into training a hunting dog. My sister is training a lab pupy hopes to do field trails with her this coming summer. Prada is the grand daughter of Dusty Brown.

I was training my girl Vendetta to do hunt she hates feathers in her mouth. I can do a one blind retrieve with her tho.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Great pics !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awsome picture. Lost of work goes into training a hunting dog. My sister is training a lab pupy hopes to do field trails with her this coming summer. Prada is the grand daughter of Dusty Brown.

I was training my girl Vendetta to do hunt she hates feathers in her mouth. I can do a one blind retrieve with her tho.
Blind retrieves are tough...takes alot of work! More so it takes proper obediance and drive on their end. If the dog doesnt want to please 1000% they wont get to numerous blind retrieves.

My yellow lab was like that with the feathers at first he would freak out. My solution was to get a cheap short panty hose and wrap the bird in it. I would cut holes for the legs, wings, and head and the whole body would remain covered. This allowed plenty of scent (bacteria) and the ability for the bird to move but would greatly reduce the feathers. I wrapped a few quail and would train him once a week on them and the rest was bumper work. after a while he got use to it and then he stopped caring. Now he drags 2 geese at a time from the bogs for me.

How old is your sisters puppy? Great to start them yound...never to young to start a hunting dog IMO just dont burn em with the gun. Tell her if she can to find a local field trial group and work with them on a regular. Most of the work can be done solo but some things you just need multiple people for or the dog wont get trained properly.

And to everyone thank you!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice pictures! We have a GSP that we are doing Field Trails with.Not the brightest dog in the field.But he is all about finding those birds.So much that he drools to get into that field and screams :hammer:

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
They are some cute dogs and I love to see them out in the field :D

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Blind retrieves are tough...takes alot of work! More so it takes proper obediance and drive on their end. If the dog doesnt want to please 1000% they wont get to numerous blind retrieves.

My yellow lab was like that with the feathers at first he would freak out. My solution was to get a cheap short panty hose and wrap the bird in it. I would cut holes for the legs, wings, and head and the whole body would remain covered. This allowed plenty of scent (bacteria) and the ability for the bird to move but would greatly reduce the feathers. I wrapped a few quail and would train him once a week on them and the rest was bumper work. after a while he got use to it and then he stopped caring. Now he drags 2 geese at a time from the bogs for me.

How old is your sisters puppy? Great to start them yound...never to young to start a hunting dog IMO just dont burn em with the gun. Tell her if she can to find a local field trial group and work with them on a regular. Most of the work can be done solo but some things you just need multiple people for or the dog wont get trained properly.

And to everyone thank you!
Thanks for the feather advice. I really want to continue working Vendetta in this area but was stumped by the feather issue. I will try this and see if it helps.

Prada is just coming up on 8mos. She is crazy about water retrieves she will do anything and go throught anything to get her dock-it dummy. My sister has invested in the Evans videos to help her out and is set up to par-take in a few hunt seminars this spring and summer.

This coll that you joined the site as I was the only here trying to hunt with an APBT. Now I can ask advice from time to time if you don't mind.
Sharon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice pictures! We have a GSP that we are doing Field Trails with.Not the brightest dog in the field.But he is all about finding those birds.So much that he drools to get into that field and screams :hammer:
They can be dumb as dirt but as long as they want to please mommy and daddy they will do just fine!

Mine goes crazy wanting to get to the birds and bumpers...he yelps so loud you'd swear he is getting mauled but the whole time holding to my knee! Its a sight to see!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feather advice. I really want to continue working Vendetta in this area but was stumped by the feather issue. I will try this and see if it helps.

Prada is just coming up on 8mos. She is crazy about water retrieves she will do anything and go throught anything to get her dock-it dummy. My sister has invested in the Evans videos to help her out and is set up to par-take in a few hunt seminars this spring and summer.

This coll that you joined the site as I was the only here trying to hunt with an APBT. Now I can ask advice from time to time if you don't mind.
Sharon
Ive never hunted with an APBT I have helped train 2 stubburn mixes in the group but never owned one myself. I know a guy that bird hunts with his and he does well with it but its just a run and flush pup no skill in it.

The key is obediance...a dog that listens in all scenarios does well but when they get to excited or side tracked even the smartest dog gets faults.

On that note feel free to get ahold of me and ask me anything I may be able to help with. If you want to get serious with it Id say find a group in your area and run trials with them...we do it every week to train the dogs and its wonderfull!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I would love to work with some people but they don't allow non retrievers in their club. My sister couldn't even work her lab cross. Weird group but then that is the way it up here. Vendetta issuper with her commands the best dog I have ever had to listen to me with out a fault. I wish she was papered ( I don't plan on spaying her) so I could work towards some titles I know that she would excell at anything she wants nothing more than to please me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts