Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i use to cut my dogs nails use to use nailclipers for people but nails are too thick now and he wont sit still if i use a pettie paws file tool looking for good clipers and how short do i cut them i know most dogs have a vein in the nail and i dont want to cut to short and him get an infection from cutting to short please help also would like to know what if anything causes brittle nails he broke one and i have been watching it got all the medications from vet also and no infection as of today but never had a dog break a nail he is almost 11 months now i think

thank you for your help and advice

JP

Attachments

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Your better off taking him to a professional to have his nails cut by a groomer at least one can hold him while the other cuts them. They usually charge $10 to $15 dollars. Zinc supplement can be used to strengthen nails. Sled dog racers will use it because it promotes tougher feet and healthy coats. I get mine from Howling Dog Alaska, Simplicity Functionality Affordability Quality its called nutrazinc.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
bnb, i gotta spread the love, but i'll come back around, lol. Best advice you can give in a situation like this.

Also, to the op, sometimes the vet will clip the nails during an exam, for a similar fee, or you can take the pup in, unscheduled, and they'll fit you in. The vein you're referring to is known as the quick, just like us humans have (where the nails connect to the skin). There's a product you can buy at walmart to stop the bleeding if you do cut too short, the name brand groomers usually use is called quickstop. It's a styptic powder, but i found that cornstarch works just the same. Sometimes my dogs want to play and jump around instead of holding still, and i nip their quicks, but i just ball up a pinch of corn starch and pack it on the end of the toenail, and voila, the bleeding is stopped! Best of luck to you. Cute pup too.

Reactions: Blue_Nose_Bella

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
bnb, i gotta spread the love, but i'll come back around, lol. Best advice you can give in a situation like this.

Also, to the op, sometimes the vet will clip the nails during an exam, for a similar fee, or you can take the pup in, unscheduled, and they'll fit you in. The vein you're referring to is known as the quick, just like us humans have (where the nails connect to the skin). There's a product you can buy at walmart to stop the bleeding if you do cut too short, the name brand groomers usually use is called quickstop. It's a styptic powder, but i found that cornstarch works just the same. Sometimes my dogs want to play and jump around instead of holding still, and i nip their quicks, but i just ball up a pinch of corn starch and pack it on the end of the toenail, and voila, the bleeding is stopped! Best of luck to you. Cute pup too.
:goodpost: Thanks girl ;) I'm a groomer and was going to suggest the styptic powder and explain further but I was in a rush to go to work :hammer:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you everyone i apriciate all the advise and ty on the compliments ill have to get more pics of him hes a ham for any camera and had one of the best personalities i have seen in a dog

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
:goodpost: Thanks girl ;) I'm a groomer and was going to suggest the styptic powder and explain further but I was in a rush to go to work :hammer:
Lol, you're welcome. I was a groomer for a few years, so I know all about it. That's what I'm here for, chica.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts