Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get how this national study guide for the entire country could be so discriminatory and promoting breed discrimination. This was from Thomas Jefferson Junior High in Woodridge, IL and the company is Study Island

This is one of their questions on their site! If you could email them to ask for it to be removed or reworded to be breed neutral as "dog".

This is unacceptable and promotes breed discrimination.
Go to:
Contact Study Island | Study Island

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh so now you gotta pick on the chows! Hahaha what one do to you?! lol

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was bitten by one as a child. And 2 different friends of mine was bitten by two different ones. Chow chows are known HA dogs if not socialized to the MAX! That's a fact. But I've never in my life been around a ha bulldog. So efff that company! They are ignorant.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Come by I'll show you a couple.... there have been ha bulldogs since the beginning.
Redog has a ha dog too...
Also once u pick 1 breed to put bsl on all breeds will eventually fall victim...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm not doubting there aren't any ha bulldogs out there, I know there are! But the percentage to population ha chow chow dogs is much greater than bulldogs. Unless they are trained and socialized to the max! They are some mean fuggers. They are very popular around my parts too for some reason.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
I'm not doubting there aren't any ha bulldogs out there, I know there are! But the percentage to population ha chow chow dogs is much greater than bulldogs. Unless they are trained and socialized to the max! They are some mean fuggers. They are very popular around my parts too for some reason.
Not to come off as a dick but the above statement is no better than the statement against pit bulls you're making a fuss about.

My lil sis was attacked by a Dalmatian, my first gf had her face ripped off by a rot, my bro was bit by a chow, my apbt has bitten, I got bit by a chi, the neighbors yorkie tried to attack my gma, my buddys lab bit the mail man, see how quick those add up? All im saying is your comments about chows is just as bad as the comment against "pit bulls".

You also have to look historically what dogs were bred for. A guardian breed is going to be more prone to ha. Should they have used dobermans since quality dobermans are bred to be man stoppers? Maybe a german Shepard.

Cant push bsl tyoe talk with 1 breed and get bent out of shape about bsl talk for another.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Chows are supposed to be guardians, they aren't supposed to love everyone, trust their masters/family. That is it. Chows along with Akitas, Shiba Inus, and other old spitz breeds are very primal dogs and they require special training and a person who understand how their minds work. They are not for everyone.

Reactions: JoKealoha

·
Registered
254 Posts
Chows are supposed to be guardians, they aren't supposed to love everyone, trust their masters/family. That is it. Chows along with Akitas, Shiba Inus, and other old spitz breeds are very primal dogs and they require special training and a person who understand how their minds work. They are not for everyone.
This is true. I agree. They do a good job at guarding too. Cuz one sure as heck bit the snot out of me.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
You can't compare chows to APBTs as chows are meant to guard and protect, it's in their nature. It would not surprise me one bit to see purebred chows as a top ranking biter. With the wrong owner/trainer they can be dangerous dogs. APBTs are not supposed to bite people and those that do should see an early grave. (IMO) a chow that bites someone is totally different from an APBT that bites someone. No, the chow should not go attack someone at random...it should have the right owner/trainer. Just like APBTs...they should not just go around killing other dogs, they need the right owner to keep and own them.

My extended family used to own several purebred chows. I love the breed when they are in the right hands. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can't compare chows to APBTs as chows are meant to guard and protect, it's in their nature. It would not surprise me one bit to see purebred chows as a top ranking biter. With the wrong owner/trainer they can be dangerous dogs. APBTs are not supposed to bite people and those that do should see an early grave. (IMO) a chow that bites someone is totally different from an APBT that bites someone. No, the chow should not go attack someone at random...it should have the right owner/trainer. Just like APBTs...they should not just go around killing other dogs, they need the right owner to keep and own them.

My extended family used to own several purebred chows. I love the breed when they are in the right hands. :)
Great post

·
Banned
5,496 Posts

Like my pm said u aint telln me nothing idk lol. U know why I said what I did...

·
Registered
870 Posts
While I believe they could have used better wording, it is still freedom of speech.

But lets face it, "pit bull" is not even an official breed of dog. Only newbies and the ignorant refer to these dogs as such, primarily the BYBers and their posse of buyers. I never call my dogs such, and my own boys have corrected their teachers more than once, when the topic came up in a class.

Even if there were never another attack, the bad label will always stick as long as this breed type is owned by ignorant owners who cannot contain their dogs, or have them for all the wrong reasons. (let's face it, over half of the dogs labeled as such are NOT ApBT's), and as long as shelters are overstocked.
(Gee, a nationwide culling sure would be helpful here...then ban the breeding of unregistered dogs, so the low lifes can't mill them around.)

What concerns me these days is other BS in the schools. Saying the word "******" will get kids expelled in these soft days.
Anyone remember this movie?
Well, there have been idiots out there wanting to take this movie down, lol.
Even the word "retard" has caused arrests these days...

Point? If using that ignorant term makes them feel better, so be it...they just better not be offended when I state things how I see them. :stick:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Totally hear where you are coming from. What I wonder though is freedom of speech has never been allowed in schools per say in the same manner as a newspaper for example. At least when I was a kid you couldn't go around calling people names or making up shit and claiming its a freedom of speech. The F word is treated as the N word around here. Its always a fine line I think when dealing with impressionable youth. In society its one thing, but the predisposition of targeting the breed as a whole (pit bull is an APBT, so to me pit bull is a breed just like Chi, Lab or Doxie are breeds) then to target a breed based off behavior by mutts is incorrect. I get its a grammar lesson not history or current events, but still. If they posted the same thing with DOG instead of PIT BULL the exact lesson would have been accomplished and maybe they will think twice before doing it again.

And who has EVER been arrested for using the word retard? Seriously you have heard of someone getting arrested for that?

I try and give people (and companies) the benefit of the doubt and maybe they didn't realize how impressionable children can be but when making nationwide study materials but I tend to feel some foamer was in on the prep process.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I agree they should have used "dog." But idiots will never fail to be idiots. It just goes to show that even those in the higher areas of education are also manipulated by the media. Oh, and I didn't even mean calling other kids the F word, but simply hearing it is enough to cause issues today. Interestingly, the word "******" was originally used to signify a twig or a bundle of branches used to burn people to death, back when the Papacy was killing all who read the Bible or refused the Popish doctrines. (1400's-1600's) Funny how times change, and the meaning of words. And I learned this in a Catholic school, lol. But saying the F word 30 years ago was not frowned upon by anyone.

Yes, I read a few years ago about a school official being suspended for calling a kid "retarded." It offended the parents of the kid. Haven't really followed up, as I could care less...a retard is a retard. Not their fault, but again, these days we live in are getting so soft, that the mere thought of offending causes severe issues with some people. What a joke.

Here is an article I did find: Banning the use of "retarded" is, well, you know… | The Legal Satyricon

Back to the "pit bull" thing: It does teach children to discriminate against a breed of dog. And if they don't know the truth, they'll believe what they read in school, as it is a symbol of authority (the school). The question should be, why do they allow it? Is not discrimination illegal in the USA?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Haha yeah that's crazy!! I thought you meant like actually arrested. Suspended I can see lol. Losing a job I can see (companies have rights to free speech as much as employees) but arrested?! That's craziness. The article was spot on too. And in England smokes are **** I agree it's just words. Blows my mind how people get so pissed. I also didn't realize that mental retardation has been renamed to autism. So instead of asking people why they are being so retarded can people say why are you being so autistic and have it be acceptable? Doubtful. It's always the play on words that makes people feel better or worse. But they are just words and like you link said aren't used in the same manner anymore.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts