Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son, who lives with us right now, has a 1.5 year old PitBull pup. He is adorable and sweet most of the time. We are having problems with him though. He starts fights with my Chocolate Lab if he is getting attention, he is digging up my yard and he is tearing up everything. He shredded my husbands grass catcher, my japanese maple tree, and a barbaque cover. He is really a smart dog and I love him, but I need help because if he does not change we are going to have to give him away. Any tips?

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
It sounds to me like he's bored. Also are you prepared for the possibility of DA in the future? A lot of APBT and mixes of have dog aggression and must be managed properly. There may come a day where the two dogs can't be around each other AT ALL.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you

I have never had a APBT and do not know much about them. I know he is a lot of fun though. How do I get information on how to handle him? I have read a few articles but would like to talk to people that actually have this breed and have worked with them successfully.

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Exercise, exercise, exercise.
That will help with the diggins and chewing.
As for the other dog. Get a crate and start crate and rotating. Always better to be safe then sorry.
Use the search function at the top of the page and check out all of the sticky threads. You'll find tons of info there.

·
Common Sense Expert
699 Posts
As for the other dog. Get a crate and start crate and rotating. Always better to be safe then sorry.
Use the search function at the top of the page and check out all of the sticky threads. You'll find tons of info there.
:goodpost: A tired dog is a good dog it sounds like he has a lot of pent up energy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you

Thanks everyone. This is a really good start. I was getting pretty frustrated. I will check out this site further and get some ideas on how to help the little guy not be so bored then. He is home alone sometimes because we are at work so maybe I will make him an obstacle course and some puzzle toys. I did read in one of the articles that the puzzles are pretty good for that breed.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
When you are home a flirtpole, treadmill, and spring pole will work wonders. 15minutes a day of solid hard exercise will drastically change your dogs energy level.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Spring Pole is my favorite way to work my girl! All I have to do is sit back and supervise. Its pretty cheap to make also. Mine is just a chain with a porch spring, some 550 cord and a tug rope, and its mobile so I can take it places. She probably gets 25-30 minutes a day and it poops her out pretty well. But its something that I recommend only letting the pup play on when you are supervising. Too many things can go wrong if they aren't watched.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:goodpost:
redirect that energy into positive outlets.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My son, who lives with us right now, has a 1.5 year old PitBull pup. He is adorable and sweet most of the time. We are having problems with him though. He starts fights with my Chocolate Lab if he is getting attention, he is digging up my yard and he is tearing up everything. He shredded my husbands grass catcher, my japanese maple tree, and a barbaque cover. He is really a smart dog and I love him, but I need help because if he does not change we are going to have to give him away. Any tips?
If he's starting fights with the other dog, crate and rotate. Also, exercise him more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts