Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems like it one thing after the other with Mr.Zero..He eat the wooden arms on my futon I also caught him chewing on the wooden legs to my kitchen chairs,my daughter/sons shoes along with a few other things he shouldn't be..My biggest concern is my futon he chewed the arm down to the top of what would be the leg and then proceeded to chew on the other arm oh and he eat his bed(came home to wood splinters and stuffing from his bed all over the place, he on the other hand was peaceful resting inside the fabric from what used to be his bed only his butt was sticking out of it).

He has a ton of toys to chew on including a deer antler and he does chew on them(mostly the antler he loves it). He's never chewed up anything he wasnt supposed to before. Being 6 months old I expected him to chew something at some point as most pups do but I have never had to deal with a chewing pup before(we rescued our other dogs at much older ages).

What can I do to get him to stop chewing up things with out having to crate him(anything I can move out of his way I do like shoes,toys and what not) he gets very upset when get can not get my Pointer and the my Staffy he will bark and carry on to no end which I'm sure wouldnt make my neighbors very happy at all. Needless to say I could use some serious advice/training tips to nix his chewing now before he chews me out of house and home =/

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
I had a dog that ate a couch once. She was crated until she turned 5. Ecko doesn't eat furniture. He just finds important things to entertain himself when I am gone. Like my nerf Patriots football. So, he gets crated.
Unfortunately it is really hard to train a dog when you are not around. You can't give a correction if you don't catch him in the act. Crating is going to be the best advise for you on this one. Keep in mind it isn't cruel. Ecko enjoys his crate. He takes his favorite things in there so he can enjoy them in peace. My old dog loved hers. She still has it at my Mom's house. She doesn't need to be locked in it anymore, but she goes in and naps when my parents aren't home. It's a safe place and a nice little hideaway for them.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
sour apple spray

vicks vapor rub

vinegar

Honestly I have not read all your post, but sounds like he has energy to burn, have you tired flirt pole, spring pole, heavy hand walking, running if he is old enough, swimming....

my dog gets about a 30 walk in the am my wife does it, and plays with him at lunch and does obed stuff about 30-1 hour total here, i run him when i get home about 3-4miles, then i do obed stuff with him about 10minutes worth, then flirt pole for about 15minutes, then i do tracking/hunting work....

Reactions: KMdogs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right he does have energy to burn thats for sure..We play in my backyard many times a day sometimes only for 5-10mins and we walk when its not to hot for my 2 year old and 2 month old to go with me(if my husbands home then I take him by myself).

I have never heard of a flirt pole or spring pole so I will have to look them up. I'm looking into getting him into obedience classes and maybe agility as well which I am sure will also help him in more then one way.

·
401 Posts
Search on here for flirt pole and spring poles, if you make them super cheap ways to exercise your dog.

On the weekends or if I am sick, I put his kibble in one of those kongs he has to knock around to get his food out and use the flirt pole takes like 10 minutes to burn about as much energy as he burns while in a 30 walk with my wife or me.

Actually if you look at EckoMac's signature pic Ecko is on a flirt pole there, atleast i think it is

·
401 Posts
On this topic, my flirt pole is a 4 foot length of schedule 40 pvc ( the standard stuff) like 2 bucks, 20 of rope that would slide through it (about 4 bucks) and currently a tire toy also about 5 bucks, and when it tears up ill put a new toy on it.

I will try to get a video of it tonight, if not at least a picture

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The only way to ensure your stuff is safe and your pup is secure, is a crate.. Training is great however when your not there you cannot correct thus the problem will continue.. Even well trained, well obed animals get bored and can become destructive..

The energy issue should be addressed regardless however it will serve as a quick fix, if anything.. You wear him out before you leave for a few hours, lets say.. After a hour nap he gets up, your not there.. Eventually gets bored and starts chewing or has an "accident" in the house. Just one of hundreds of examples there are out there..

With people i train, i usually run across at least one every few months that has this vision that any training tool is cruel (think prong collars) and that using a crate is horrible because they are confined in this steal box.. The reality is, dogs are den animals and a crate if properly introduced and trained will become their "Safe haven".. It is THEIR spot in the house.

The other option is setting up a secure chain spot outside for during the day with a kennel.. Up to you but if you don't address the issues your having when your not there it wont ever be fixed.

Reactions: EckoMac

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Yeah Ecko's on a flrit pole in that pic. PVC, rope, and a pig ear.
How old is Zero? I thought he was only like 6 months old. If that's the case you should go easy on the exercise until he's around 12 to 18 months. Lots of hand walking and playing. Some flirt pole is OK, just watch him on the tight turns.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is 6 months old and about 60 pounds give or take a few. Will the pole work the same with him if I run up and down my back yard with only turning to head back in either direction?

When looking for crate how big should I looking at?

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Crate should be big enough for him to walk in, turn around and lay down. Ecko is 48 lbs 16"tall and uses a 36" long by 24" wide crate.

When using the flirt pole just go with short sessions. Walks can be longer because it's less strenuous. Swimming is the easiest on joints.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
He is 6 months old and about 60 pounds give or take a few. Will the pole work the same with him if I run up and down my back yard with only turning to head back in either direction?

When looking for crate how big should I looking at?
Do you know how big he will be once fully matured? It would help save you money from replacing a smaller crate in the future if you do..

When crate training dogs only need enough room to sit up, turn around, and lay down.. Any more room and usually you will have a case of the dog pooping and peeing on one side and sleeping on the other.

Dogs can be in their crates with ease up to 10 hours a day, usually i recommend less than 8 at a time if the owners can help it.. No water or food left in their crates during the day as you will then be forcing him to hold it all day..

Give AM feed and water before you leave and take him out to do his business.. Walk about 5 - 10 minutes (at least) after words to make sure its "all out" and to stretch the legs, come back lock up and leave.. When you get home the very first thing you do is take him out, wear him out well while at home before locking back up..

He may whine at first but this is due to you allowing him to roam free and do whatever for so long he will naturally "Act out" in the beginning.. DON'T give into the whining, if you do he will catch on if he whines and pouts he gets what he wants..

It wont take long for adjustments and within a week (average time frame) he will be willing to go in by himself and feel comfortable without whining or the need to try and control the situation..

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Do you know how big he will be once fully matured? It would help save you money from replacing a smaller crate in the future if you do..

When crate training dogs only need enough room to sit up, turn around, and lay down.. Any more room and usually you will have a case of the dog pooping and peeing on one side and sleeping on the other.

Dogs can be in their crates with ease up to 10 hours a day, usually i recommend less than 8 at a time if the owners can help it.. No water or food left in their crates during the day as you will then be forcing him to hold it all day..

Give AM feed and water before you leave and take him out to do his business.. Walk about 5 - 10 minutes (at least) after words to make sure its "all out" and to stretch the legs, come back lock up and leave.. When you get home the very first thing you do is take him out, wear him out well while at home before locking back up..

He may whine at first but this is due to you allowing him to roam free and do whatever for so long he will naturally "Act out" in the beginning.. DON'T give into the whining, if you do he will catch on if he whines and pouts he gets what he wants..

It wont take long for adjustments and within a week (average time frame) he will be willing to go in by himself and feel comfortable without whining or the need to try and control the situation..
Sound advice. :goodpost:

To add... Life Stages makes a crate that has a divider that can be pulled, or moved as he grows. Then you won't have to buy a bigger one later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well is Dad is 110 pounds and Mom is 85 so I'm guessing around 85-90 he's not the runt of the litter but he is smaller then his other 10 siblings..I have yet to get him fixed I have heard that this can also lead to him being destructive and plays a part in his mature size are either one of these true?

Where in my house should I put his crate? Also what style crate is the best the metal ones or the plastic?

·
401 Posts
sorry its sidewise my wife thought it looked better....

Now, I didnt mean crates are bad, Zues gets his everytime i walk out the door. But some of it can be stopped. and Zero KM and Fire are always full of good advice, learn from them, not many on here that post like they do that work their dogs as hard.

Oh here is a short vid of a flirt pole. watch out for the clothes (there a little bright), just got back from running.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
You can also get a treadmill in addition to a spring pole or a flirt pole, I run my boy on it in the hot hot weather and cold cold weather. I ope the crate works out, I am so lucky as soon as my boy was done teething he only chews his bones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ames thats the total opposite of Zero he chewed nothing but his bones/toys while teething now he is done with cutting teeth he's chewing everything else..I have 2 other dogs so I wasnt sure which one it was until I took them with me today and left him home(didnt want to accuse him of being so naughty and not being able to really prove it)and came home to a huge mess. Kinda figured it was him all along due to my other 2 never chewing anything before..He's a puppy so I figured this would happen at some point.

I have a treadmill but its not one made for dogs can I still use this one. He normal sacks out in front of while I run.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
If you run, run with your dog.. I run and I run with my dogs.. they need avg of 12 miles a day. Not to mention everything else they do after the run or in the middle of the run.

Running with your dog for say 30 minutes then playing ball with him will make him extra happy and tired. The deer antler, beef knuckle, and solid red softball sized KONG ball are the absolute best chews JMO. I actually use deer, elk, etc.. but Im a naturalist. I have used the other in the past for over 10yrs. I don't like to crate and at the same time; I stand by it. The crate is the dogs room, I leave the door open unless I need to shut it. Now what good is a crated dog gonna do when someone kicks in your door and takes all the puppies they want eat your food play your xbox etc.. This is why I don't like a good dog crated. Other than that; it is the tool to have IMO a dog needs they're spot too. No more than 6-8 hrs at a time, if your dog is tired from a morning run then he will be alright most of the day, if you only run at night then you'll probably need to make a noon visit to let him out and move around a bit. Now you can work your dog by gettin him used to the crate by putting his chew item in there. Do NOT let your dog HAVE stuffed toys, the nylon filament material inside kills 100s of dogs every week (seriously).

I dont see a problem, you have a energetic dog who is going to be an active chewer for some time. My best dog Hooch R.I.P was a chewer all of his 11 yrs. At first he loved designer shoes and mostly the Mrs' shoes. One day of correction and introduction of a new toy and make sure to really play fetch and tug with that new toy often; generally speaking they chew on what smells the most like your hands or your feet. A good way to keep a dog calm in the crate is by using a used bath towel to lay on and their favorite toy as well as him being good and tired.

I've produced some chewers who were crate destroyers from time to time, what stopped it was more attention and exercise.. and the continued use of a crate, until the dog was infact a house dog (however many cases a high end bulldog is not the ideal pet, but a working dog and ideal companion).

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
He's a puppy, they chew. Everyone has already covered the benefits pretty thoroughly, but here is one more in regards to this part

.I have 2 other dogs so I wasnt sure which one it was until I took them with me today and left him home(didnt want to accuse him of being so naughty and not being able to really prove it)and came home to a huge mess.
It's really not advisable to leave dogs alone together, so a crate or puppy proofed room will be needed in your future. Best to get him used to it now.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
All that being said, I leave my dogs out together I have A KBD, an ABPT, a Schipperke, and a mini dachshund all in the house. The Doxie, the Schipperke have crates they sleep in everynight, the APBT and KBD sleep near me or my children. The only time I crate the big dogs is when its necessary for company or because Im leaving and dont want them to have run of the house (rarely).. Find the method that fits you and your dog best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have always left my older 2 dogs alone together one of them being a Staffy we rescued and the other being my husbands bird dog they are never apart and never have been we have had no issues them with being together all the time . When I got Zero(he was 7 weeks old) he was treated the same they have all always been together. Maxx,Zero and Pepper all curl up and sleep together until its bed time then Zero/Maxx follow me and Pepper goes with my kids normally.

I do run however I was concerned with taking him with me these last few days its been very hot up here normally when its this hot I leave the dogs home and turn them out the backyard to run and play in the hose with my kids which they all love.

Thank you for telling me about the stuffed toys they are one of Maxx's favorites needless to say he's not going to be to impressed with me for taking them away. All 3 of my boys love the antlers Zero most of all he lugs his around the house with him. When would you suggest having altered he's 6 months now and still intact?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts