Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well, it seems as if Buddy's skin is really sensitive to the prong collar that I got him at PetSmart. I've had it for a while now, and try not to use to very often, but he's just been pulling horribly bad when we go to new places. Oh, and YES.. I do fit his prong properly. LOL.

Anyway, I believe I saw a brass colored prong the other day saying that most dogs are not allergic to this material that it was made with, but I can't find it.

Any solutions to my problem? His neck is all red from our 1.5 mile walk yesterday. Not sure what Petsmart uses to make there prongs, but Buddy doesn't do to well with it.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
what size is the prong collar? Do you have a picture? Normally when you see a lot of redness the collar is not fitting right and causing the irritation. It could be a sensitivity to the metal but my guess the prongs are too big and not fitted properly.

If he is on a small prong that is fitted right then you can make a simple cover to go around the collar and solve the problem that way. Take a piece if fabric cut it to the length of the collar maybe a little longer. Fold it in half and sew the open end, basically you are making a tube shape out of the material and you are only stitching along the long open side leaving the sides open. Then slip the collar in the tube and put it on the dog, the cloth will keep the metal off the skin but is thin enough not to lose the effectiveness of the collar. I use these all the time to hide prong collars and they are easy to make if you can sew. Even if you can't sew it is simple enough to figure it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts