Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have read the sticky on dog parks (awesome read) and thankfully we have only been about 4-5 times in the last 2-3 weeks (Which Snow did make two friends) but we had a situation on Easter Sunday that made me open my eyes...Snow is my 8 1/2 month old girl (first time owner of the bully breed) and I love her so much. I was weary about taking her to a dog park but knew I needed to socialize her and exercise her especially since she is an indoor dog and we work also (currently I have been home with her for two months as I am between jobs but will start a temp job next week so she will be home alone during the day) I was already concerned about taking her to the park because of the judging the breed gets anyway but I was like SCREW that, my baby has the right to be there just like all these other breeds. First few times was great, she met a 8 month old male English lab, and an 11 month old female brindle boxer and they played great then this ignorant lady came in with some type of medium austrailian shepard type dog that played with her fine but as soon as Snow got too rough for HER standards she had something smart to say and then said Snow hurt her dog which did not happen and she would never have any friends playing like that...then she was like well everything was fine before we got there so I said my few statements to her and we LEFT...So sad the judging and assumptions but the point of my post is other ways we can socialize and exercise her because I want the best for her and do right by her. We do take her to pet stores and walk on a trail at a local park... we have done basic odedience and will start advanced (caninie good citizenship training) in a month or so. We live in Hampton VA area and not sure the best way to meet a couple people for dog walks, and of the same breed. Thanks for reading and any advice

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Friends with dogs is a good way to socialize in a controlled setting and you can work on your dog behaving better if she gets overly excited when meeting new people or dogs. Exercise hand walking, flirt pole spring pole fetch tug etc. For physical. Mentally you can ture her out also with obedience commands and puzzle toys

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have many friends we hang out with and the couple people we did meet with dogs at the dog park seem to think that is the only place to take theirs to for whatever reason so that's a no go. We did meet one bully owner that can get together for a couple hours on the weekend so we are going to try that this weekend...hope it goes through...We have several dog puzzles we bought that we bull out every so often but I didn't want to do it daily as she would get bored with the same ones so we try to change it out every few weeks. I have heard of the flirt pole so that is the next thing we will try to get in the next couple weeks (only one income right now) so I can definitely start looking at the tasks for the CGC on the AKC site and start working on a few of the ones that do not require a strange person or dog.
Friends with dogs is a good way to socialize in a controlled setting and you can work on your dog behaving better if she gets overly excited when meeting new people or dogs. Exercise hand walking, flirt pole spring pole fetch tug etc. For physical. Mentally you can ture her out also with obedience commands and puzzle toys

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
You can make a flirt pole pretty cheap. Mine is a horse whip with a toy tired on the end lol. Mine don't have dog friends but they know how to behave when a strange dog oars by. If you're wanting to do cgc going to tsc or the pet store maybe where you can walk pay other people with their dogs and work on your girl ignoring them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts