Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11yr old pit weighs 80lbs. Took her to vet the other day for meds. She has 2 torn acl's in both back knees.
Was wondering if a leg brace(s) would be helpful with aiding in her walking?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could definitely help while awaiting surgery.
Walkaboutharnesses.com have great braces and customer service.
You may want to call around on that surgery price. Maybe even look into a place a little further away. Around here, Boise, Idaho, you can save a ton by driving to Sun Valley, Idaho and get a better vet for the job.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
i've been through this.
1. cut weight. keep her trim as possible. without seeing any vertebrae. 1 or 2 ribs is ok.
2. rest. rest. and more rest. no running. jumping. climbing. no stairs. short walks. this will go on for several weeks.
3. rugs and runners. hardwood and tile are the enemy.
4. ice both knees 2x a day. and gentle massages for her entire rear assembly. leg injuries will cause her to change her posture and that usually creates soreness everywhere else. paws to her back.

Conservative Management

braces are tricky. they can help alot but if they don't fit properly, they can make the injury worse. you might get lucky with something off the shelf. but only custom fit braces will maintain correct geometry of the joint. and that is super expensive.
be careful. and good luck.

Reactions: EckoMac and jttar

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
hope you guys are doing great. how's that pup coming along? i will post pics of my old man soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts