Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
chewing when yyour around or do you leave your doggy out?
bitter apple spray is what i've used in the past. some dogs actually like it. if thats the case, kayenne pepper or hot sauce

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
If he's chewing destructively while you're around, you need to be proactive and redirect him with an appropriate toy such as a kong and praise him for chewing on that toy.

If he's chewing destructively while you aren't around, why does he have access to things he shouldn't be chewing??

You can't stop a dog from chewing; you can only show them what is appropriate and not appropriate to chew.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That is the question. Is he crate trained or does he free access to the house? make sure he has things that he can chew on would probably help. Like bones from the butcher or if you can find some atlers.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Depends on if your dog is getting enough to do during the day. Many APBT's are chewers and you have to give them something to chew on or they will eat your house. If it is a young dog and he is chewing while you are gone you can put him in a dog run outside or in a crate if you are gone 9 hrs or less. Sometimes they chew because they are board so make sure you wear him out a few times a day.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
chewing when yyour around or do you leave your doggy out?
bitter apple spray is what i've used in the past. some dogs actually like it. if thats the case, kayenne pepper or hot sauce
lmao sorry we had to put oil down in the door of the patio door cause it was sticking and loki kept licking it up so we poured cayenne pepper on it and he liked it even more LMAO. but it prob would work for NORMAL dogs lol.

to the OP , best to just use reinforcement when he chews something he isnt suppose to take it away with a firm no and replace with something he is allowed. when you arent home crating is the best thing , keeps him safe as well cause what if he eats something harmful? sounds like could be bored as well so try working him flirt pole, run , game of fetch ect something to wear him down a bit. my dogs love ther kongs we stuff them full of stuff , cheese, peanutbutter, kong stuffers like the hard bone things i dont know what they are called but they made for kongs. It keeps them busy when we cant be around like when they in the crate.

Reactions: Nizmo

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I did the same thing with Varro's dog house. He was chewing on it and i could not find the bitter apple so I used tabasco and he just thanked me for flavoring his house! LMAO
OMG this made me laugh. You are in NM so are you close to Roswell? Have you seen that show about the aliens. They love their tobasco sauce. I totally pictures your dog coming out of those pods and wanting something spicy. LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
My pup acts out when I have worked a lot of OT and he doesn't get all his walks/playtime. How much do you give him? I find for my dog, an hour walk in the morning, and hour of play, chase, fetch in the afternoon and an another hour walk at night keeps him from acting up when I'm not home. Some need more some less, just keep running him until he is too tired to chew :)

I live in snow and had to get a treadmill for him since I cant move fast enough on the ice. You might try that too. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
one thing, not mentioned above that you can try is something to keep him busy like a puzzle ball, that gives them an objective. The ball dispenses treats as they roll it around so if they aren't crated it gives them something to occupy their mind and time!

·
Registered
901 Posts
One of the first commands I taught him was "Leave it". When I am at home and he gets something he is not allowed to have or do. I simply say leave it and he will drop it or walk away and get what he is allowed to have. (Wish I could get my husband to understand that command.) When I'm not at home he is in his bedroom with his toys and treat ball or kong to play with. Thank goodness I have never had to crate him even though he has one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts