Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy has seemed to have ripped his toenail off his one back paw it seems to have stoped bleeding just wondering if there is anything to be concerned about is there a vet trip needed or should he be just fine he is running and jumping like there is nothing wrong

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
My dog did this last year , going to the vet they really wont be able to do anything will just waste the money. Best bet is just to keep it clean and let the air get to it, it will heal over a bit { if you bandage it , it wont heal over and will remain open and red} Plus they wont usually keep a bandage on anyways.
The nails take a LONG time to grow back , like 6 months or sometimes a bit more. Just keep it clean until it atleast gets that hard covering/scab over it to protect it. then watch him if he is chewing at it like my boy was and making it so the nail wouldnt grow lol, I had to spray bitter spray on it { this is after it has healed over, just to get the nail to grow. DO NOT spray this while it is red and irritated and open like that}.
if it starts to look really red or infected , oozing or anything then go to the vet and treat for infection. { we never had problem, we used benadyne { sp?} wipes , kinda like iodine but without the sting, they worked great for wiping the nail down and keeping clean }

1 - 4 of 4 Posts