Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
If you search in the working dog section there is a lot of advice and instruction on this topic :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I used a regular walkin harness and a old tire with a rope on it and a quick link from a hardware store. i just latched it to the harness and then coaxed him to me with treats.
Once i knew he would do it , i ordered a real harness.
i know alot of people use a milk jug with water and rocks in it so it makes noise .
then they add a tire after the dog is used to the jug.

Reactions: Sadie

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
currently we use a back pack a regular walking harness and 2 leashes knotted so they're the same length its pretty ghetto. we take the leash and run then through the straps of the back pack and then loop them through the handles then we hook then to his harness which has 2 metal o-rings on both the shoulders. this is a 2 person operation by the way since i dont have a real wp harness i dont want him to get wrapped up in the leashes so one person stays with him and makes him sit and talks to him the other walks about 30-50 yards (im not good with distance so it could be less we use a base ball feild thats on a big lot) with a basket ball because we know he wants it, the other one whistles to signal that we're ready for him to come and the one with the dog yells go work. so he runs to the person with the ball. we recently put the ball up and he gets kinda lazy when he gets 10ft away i think he realizes that we dont have the ball and gets mad and stops. right now hes dragging about 27.5 lbs in weight might bump up to 30 next week depends on how his body is handling the added strain. but i really really want to get him a wp harness soon since he's showing potential so if he starts acting/moving funny i gotta stop till i get a chance to get him his harness. i know the regular harness is bad for pulling though and i should get him a wp one asap.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I used a regular walkin harness and a old tire with a rope on it and a quick link from a hardware store. i just latched it to the harness and then coaxed him to me with treats.
I wouldn't coax him with treats, that's a form of baiting and can cause the dog to become frustrated. :) Dog pulls "GOOD!" or "Yes!" and then you pull out the treat and give it to them.;)

and Stone,

I wouldn't have the dog run if you're going to get serious about weight pulling. They need to stay at a steady pace, if they're used to running and then get hooked onto something very heavy. You'll have a dog lunging and jumping and frustrated.

Hope that helps ^_^

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Well IMO the best way to start out is by getting a trainer harness put it on the dog and let them walk around with it on in the yard with no weight at first. This is just getting them used to the harness being on them. After a week of walking with the harness on then you can attach free weights or a sled start off very light each week working your way up in weight put a leash on the dog and walk them around the yard a few times then you want to get them to pull on their own without the leash using tone and praise do not treat the dog until after WP sessions you want the dog to work for you not because a treat is waiting at the other end. You can eventually work up to the tire and building your own WP track if you have the space for one. But in the beginning you need to first get the dog used to being in a harness and then getting used to pulling light drag weight before you start adding heavier amounts of weight. PS if this is something you are going to be doing a lot of I would have your hound health tested with the OFA & Penhipp getting the elbows, hips, and shoulders done. Weight pulling is a sport and for dogs who are not solid in these areas it can really break them down over time. It's best to get them tested for peace of mind.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

PennHIP Home

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Once i knew he would do it , i ordered a real harness.
i know alot of people use a milk jug with water and rocks in it so it makes noise .
then they add a tire after the dog is used to the jug.
:goodpost:

This is what I have heard as well from the folks who compete in WP .. A few friends of mine told me about this method as well.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
If you are trying to pull heavier than the body weight of the dog I would get the hips and elbows xrayed before you go any higher. These dogs will do whatever you ask them to do without any hesitation and can end up hurting them selves in the long run. You dot want to end up with an older dog in pain with bad joints due to excessive work when the dog was young.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Can WP be done with dogs who have FAIR hips, or would it be better to keep their WP amateur? I'm buying Kane a training harness next month (after all my bills are paid, darnit, lol) but I'm not sure if I'm going to try to compete with him in WP or just do it to keep him in shape.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Can WP be done with dogs who have FAIR hips, or would it be better to keep their WP amateur? I'm buying Kane a training harness next month (after all my bills are paid, darnit, lol) but I'm not sure if I'm going to try to compete with him in WP or just do it to keep him in shape.
Here this might help you k8 This explains the OFA test ratings and what they mean. Note it's stated that dogs who score fair in hips could still be bred but not recommended. I think that with fair hips you would be ok to compete in WP you might want to retire them a few years early but I don't see why it would be an issue unless dysplasia was involved in which case I would say no.

OFA Ratings Explained

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Ok thanks. I'll probably just keep him amateur then, as my focus in his training is more towards rally and dock diving. I don't want to unnecessarily wear him down before his time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok thanks. I'll probably just keep him amateur then, as my focus in his training is more towards rally and dock diving. I don't want to unnecessarily wear him down before his time.
ther is no reason you cant compete with him . The major thing is not to jump in head 1st.

Like a person trying to powerlift , you dont start out lifting 800. You start small and work up. I make sure brock warms up really well before i work him with any kinda difficulty and i only use more weight after im sure he can easily pull the old weight around. Like any athlete , regular checkups and good workout form is important ! Shock is bad .

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
I wouldn't have the dog run if you're going to get serious about weight pulling. They need to stay at a steady pace, if they're used to running and then get hooked onto something very heavy. You'll have a dog lunging and jumping and frustrated.
yah i figured so much hes just really excitable, i was trying to bank on the fact that he'd realize that it was heavy and slow down, i think i'd be able to train him to go slow once we got him really hooked up. idk we'll see. i need to find a club down here. for clubs do they care if your dogs a mutt?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Nope, I know some who has a club down south, want me to get their information?

I'm in Nor Cal but my club is all breed.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
yes please. are they la area?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I sent a PM to the person I know down there, I'll send you the information when she replies. =]

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
sweet thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.