Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is more so directed towards Lisa (Performance Kennels) or someone with similar experience here.

I know it's my fault for not watching Trinity more closely, but she got ahold of a pushpin and dropped it on the floor. The dog got it, and swallowed it before I could get it out of his mouth! Anything I can do to make him throw it up, or pass it quicker without a trip to the vet as I have to be to work in about an hour? Any and all help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
296 Posts
omg! I know I've read on here that hydrogen peroxide will make dogs throw up, but I would have no idea with a push pin, I wouldn't want it to hurt him on the way up :(

I'm so glad Loki doesn't actually swallow things much, I hope your pup is okay!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
UGGGHHH that sucks!! do not make her throw up it could cause damage coming back up. Pins are extremely dangerous and can cause all kinds of problems and unfortunately I think the vet is the only thing to do. You need to take x-rays to see where it is. If it is in the stomach they might be able to do an endoscopy and get it or maybe surgery. The problem with pins is they can easily puncture the intestine and go any where in the body and cause havoc. Call you vet, the only thing I can think of is feeding the dog a lot of bread to surround the pin and cushion it but call you vet ASAP and see if they think that is a good idea or to just leave it be. Let us know what they say!!

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Lisa. Calling vet now.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
owww hope she is ok , they always have great timing for things like this , always when you gotta be somewhere.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Are we talking about a push pin with a plastic end or a straight pin? If it is a push pin like with a plastic end, the little short ones you use on cork boards then you can give her some bread wait about 10 min then give her peroxide to throw it up. If it is a straight pin take her in ASAP. There is a chance it will get stuck on the way up if it is a push pin but it might be worth the chance. Is this the chihuahua? i would be worried about the small size of the throat of the dog and throwing it up.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dr. Burns says I should feed him a couple pieces of bread and just keep an eye on him. If he starts showing signs of complications, then bring him in. Thanks Lisa. I appreciate the help.

ETA: Yes, a push pin with the plastic end. No, not Sparky the chihuahua. A Rotti pup I'm "babysitting" for a couple days. He's 9 wks old and eats everything in sight, lol.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr. Burns says not to make him throw it up b/c it could puncture him on the way up. Said to just feed him a couple pieces of bread and keep a close eye on him. So, that's what I'll do.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
LOL I figure the cotton can't be any worse than the toy fillings that my dog's will try and eat when chewing up their today LMAO!! Bogart eat's sheets blankets anything he can tear up he will. Hopefully the bread will coat the object to prevent any internal damage on it's way out.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He don't want the bread!! Any other time, he'd eat it, but he won't touch it now.. he chewed up a piece, and spit it out, looked up at me like "What? There's no meat!" I tried putting a bit of kibble in his dish with it, but he picked out the kibble and left the bread. Ugh!! Darn dogs, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
can you put a bit of peanut butter on the bread? my dogs love that or cheese spread { not a lot but enough to get him to eat it}

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No. Go figure, the one time I need it, I don't have it lol. What about some liquid smoke? Or garlic powder and warm water?

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol Angel. Got plenty of peanut butter. That's one thing that's not in short supply around here lol.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't know if the dog would like the taste of liquid smoke or garlic powder LOL. If you don't have Chicken or Beef broth I would try olive oil or fish oil my dogs love it they might eat it with that.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do have some olive oil! I've never had issues with my dogs eating their food with a light sprinkle of garlic powder and some warm water, but I'll try the olive oil.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts