Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973 Pontiac Firebird. I've decided that if I'm going to put a bunch of money into something,I would rather it be a car that I love rather than one I just like.All of these that I've come across are already done and so the owners want an arm and a leg for them.I figured since there's alot of people on this forum I'd ask around here.Maybe y'all know where there's one in a junkyard or just rotting in the back of someones yard.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Gorgeous car, good luck I hear the 73's are rare. My dad had a 76 trans am when I was a kid, still had the round headlights, it was the last year for them. Have you tried ebay or any classic car traders?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a 70 camaro, very similar car... Maybe something to consider, those cars tended to fish tail ( heavy engines up front, no weight in the back). I used to drive mine pretty hard ( I was a kid), and it happened many times. I've been fantasizing about restoring an early SS, or 57- early 60's corvette (my dream cars back in the day). I won't do it tho

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Very cool. I'm a Ford man but it's always nice to see someone looking to build an older car (even if it is a GM!). When you find one you should do a build thread and keep us up to date with where you're at with it.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 70 camaro, very similar car... Maybe something to consider, those cars tended to fish tail ( heavy engines up front, no weight in the back). I used to drive mine pretty hard ( I was a kid), and it happened many times. I've been fantasizing about restoring an early SS, or 57- early 60's corvette (my dream cars back in the day). I won't do it tho
I may have to consider something else that's similar.I want to rebuild a car though that has some muscle to drive.That's what I want to do.I figure you only live once so you might as well do what you want to do.lol
I've looked at a couple sites.I don't think that one though.I want a junker that will not cost too much.Everyone I've seen is way too much.
Gorgeous car, good luck I hear the 73's are rare. My dad had a 76 trans am when I was a kid, still had the round headlights, it was the last year for them. Have you tried ebay or any classic car traders?
I haven't looked at ebay in a minute.I need to go back over there.It figures I would like a rare car.lol
Very cool. I'm a Ford man but it's always nice to see someone looking to build an older car (even if it is a GM!). When you find one you should do a build thread and keep us up to date with where you're at with it.
:rofl: I will definitely start build thread if I can find one.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
let me know how your search goes lisa... ive got a 71'... its currently a rust bucket :D it was my dads and he gave it to me years ago ive just never done anything with it... i <3 trans ams :D

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do girl.And I would be more than happy to take that 71 off your hands come next tax time if you want.:D You just let me know if you ever wanna sell it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
well i hate to tell you this he had one but they sold it a while back but if i knew what else you might be looking for i might be able to help you out on it. my husband is into old cars. we have a 72 chevelle, 72 monty carlo. and a 74 nova we also have a 71 ford torino that is a fixer upper that is for sale

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh well.Thanks anyways for trying.I love Nova's too but not that late in year.And I like Chevelles but it seems that everyone around here is also into them.I like cars that not everybody has.I'll keep trying on the route I'm on for a little while before moving on to something else if I can't find one.
I'll definitely keep you in mind if I move on to something else though.Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Oh well.Thanks anyways for trying.I love Nova's too but not that late in year.And I like Chevelles but it seems that everyone around here is also into them.I like cars that not everybody has.I'll keep trying on the route I'm on for a little while before moving on to something else if I can't find one.
I'll definitely keep you in mind if I move on to something else though.Thanks again!
Then for heaven's sake get a MOPAR:) or at least anything before the horsepower started to fade out (nothing higher than 70-71) or get a real stump puller like an Olds;)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol.My husbands into the mopars.He's got an old dodge truck with a slant six.I'm trying to do my own thing.:)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Then for heaven's sake get a MOPAR:) or at least anything before the horsepower started to fade out (nothing higher than 70-71) or get a real stump puller like an Olds;)
That's what crate motors were made for!

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Are you okay with getting the base model firebird, and then just doing a trans am clone? It wont be nearly as valuable when finished, but it will perform just the same...

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Are you okay with getting the base model firebird, and then just doing a trans am clone? It wont be nearly as valuable when finished, but it will perform just the same...
If it was me that's what I'd do too. That way you can upgrade everything (engine, brakes, suspension etc) to modern specs and have a car that goes stops and turns like a new car but not have to hack up something collectible. That's just me though, I know others like to have the real deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts