Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK fisrt things first, b4 i start hearing about how i shouldnt breed my dog 4this reason and that let me just say i would NEVER breed a dog unless it is the best of the best. i believe in bettering the breed not hurting it. i dont approve of breeding curs lol ;). a close friend of mine breed his bitch and he couldnt keep her or the pups GO FIGURE RIGHT smh.. but any way i said id keep her and the pups if he agree's to buy the dog food etc. he cant let her go to the pound because she has sum scars or scratches on her head area and i garuntee they will put her down if she goes to the pound, long story short im doing a solid basically. but my problem is that the pups are five weeks old and she isnt really trying to feed the pups. is this because they are getting to old or there is another issue goin on? im starting to give the pups mushed up kibble but i dunno if its to soon to do that. please help people.

P.S. any negative remarks wont help my situation so keep em to urself :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pups usually begin the weaning process at 4 weeks they start testing out food and suckle less and less by 5 weeks they should be eating slightly moist kibble just put a little warm water on it and let it soak up a bit the mom will begin to spend less time with them around 5 weeks also that's normal by 6 weeks they should be almost completely weaned and eating dry kibble and 8 weeks it's time to start finding homes for them god luck with them

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats wat read. thank u alot i just wanted to make sure.. when should they get there first shots? 6wks or 8 wks?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some people start shots at 6 wks but just the parvovirus that early it depends in your area how bad parvo is my last litter I gave parvo vacs at 6 wks cuz in LA it goes around bad but most the time u start at 8 wks then 3- 4 wks apart steer clear of lepto and corona at a young age it could be deadly and some vets give a 6 in 1 which includes lepto make sure to get the 5 in 1 just dhpp a lot give dhlpp which has lepto vaccine in it

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
You can give the first set of shot's at 5-6 weeks old ... They will need to be repeated again @ 9, 12, and 15 weeks of age. Make sure your using the 7 way vaccines.

Vaccination Recommendations for Puppies (Puppy Shots)

You also need to be deworming the pups as well should start at 2 weeks, 4, 6, 8, weeks of age and then every month up until six months of age.

Fecal Exams & Worming Schedules for Dogs

Pups ween from a mother's milk at about 3 1/2- 4 weeks of age at that point you can begin introducing kibble mixed with some liquid puppy milk replacer to soften it up for about a week until they get used to eating it then you will begin to feed more kibble each week replacing the liquid puppy milk with water gradually weening them to dry food. Make sure not to let the pups leave their mom/litter mates until at LEAST 8 weeks of age they need that extra time to learn proper socialization skills and bite inhibition which they will learn from their litter mates and mother. So 8 weeks the bare minimum before you re-home any of these pups.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=916

Good Luck ...

Good Dewormer's Panacur C it will get rid of whip, round, tapes, and hook worms.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Panacur+C-prod10674.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks sadie!! @everybody else thank u for the help.. i was told that feeding a dog garlic can get rid of worms also. is this true?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
It is best if you just get them wormed when you take them in fo rshots unless you are going to give the shot yourself then buy a wormer at the sametime. I wouldnt recommend giving pupies garlic high doses of that is harmfull.

What type of dry kibble are you feeding?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks alot. this is going to be an extreme amount of experience for later on down the road when i start my own program.. and i prefer to do the shots, etc myself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i know around here you cant just give a dog its shots yourself, legally, without some sort of certification. in other words, you may have given your dog its shots but animal control wants them done by a professional. not sure how to go about it but im sure you can get some sort of certification that makes you legal. sorry, i dont know much about it.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Safeguard works! I just saved $100,bought that when Beia got her worms,instead of going back to the vet. worked in 3 days.

·
Registered
287 Posts
ok thanks. i dont think its illegal in cali but il b sure to look into it
yeah i know a guy locally that breeds malinois and hes authorized or whatever its called to give shots to his puppies. hes the one that told me about this whole thing.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Nope I did all mine. Just save the packaging and receipts when u get em. That is acceptable proof for a vet to document shots...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mothers do not care to have their babies hanging off their tits for 5 - 8 wks of age. Matter of fact, they start distancing themselves from their babies between 3 - 4 wks contrary to what some humans want to believe. Puppy teeth start poking out at around 3 wks and soon after it causes discomfort with biting and pulling nipples and scratching. Puppies should be off mom's teets by 5 weeks tops. It is unnessecary torture for the mother and it takes more of a toll on her.

Giving puppies it's 1st series of shots at 5 wks of age is way too young. You can give them a parvo shot this young if your area is parvo infested, but not a combination shot. The 5 way shot is the way to go. You should only use the 7 way shots 12 weeks of age and over. You can buy the single shots at Tractor Supply. The bottles have a peal off label if you want the proof. I don't know what states don't allow it. Most, if not all do allow you to administer vaccinations. Rabies no. Probably because rabies vacs is a law you need to do, where vaccinations isn't.??

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Giving a pup his first shot's between 5-6 weeks is not way too young vet's give them all the time at that age. I have given my pups the 7 ways from 6 weeks on up with no problems the only difference between the 5 and 7 shot's is the 7 way cover's 2 forms of Leptospira.

This is the one I use ....

NEW Solo-Jec 7 Plus
By Boehringer Ingelheim. Single dose, modified live type 2b parvovirus (needle & syringe included). Includes protection from two types of leptospirosis (L. icterohaemorrhagiae & L. canicola). For dogs 6 weeks of age and older. *Residents of CT, DE, IL, MN, NJ, or NY, please ask your veterinarian for a prescription. NY residents may use a certificate of need.
7-Way Vaccines for Dogs

They can most certainly be given I don't care what you say. To the OP all you have to do is look at the instructions from the website I posted ... The 7 ways will not harm the pups at all. As with any vaccine there is always a risk of any dog having a reaction to the vaccine itself but as long as I have been giving them I have never had a dog react badly to the vaccinations.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts