Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my bully, he is 11 weeks and everytime we go out on a walk, he is constanly sniffing the floor. He started doing this about a week ago, and he does that inside the house as well. I do give him time to sniff around on our walks but he wont stop when we are actually walking. When we play fetch he will go get the ball and when picks it up, he will drop it and start sniffing around. Any advice please, any info its greatly appreciated.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Its just a puppy phase. He is exploring all the new scents. If he gets too obsessive I just grab his attention with a treat or toy and re direct his energy by giving him a task or teaching him something.

On walks I wouldn't give him too much sniffing time unless he's gotta go poop or pee. I would make sure that he knows he is outside to complete a task...to walk. :D good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Ok ill try that but its on the wall where he does it the most. I hope is just a puppy phase.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I disagree with not letting your dog sniff on walks (unless you're walking TO something, not just on a walk around the neighborhood).

You're not taking the dog out for a walk for yourself. You're taking the DOG for a walk and dogs enjoy sniffing things. That's how they explore the world, catch up on all the other neighborhood dogs and their "pee-mail" without having to actually meet them, etc. It's a two-for-one deal: dogs can sniff and expand their minds, and get their exercise as well. Walking is not a "job".

If your puppy starts getting obsessive about sniffing, using a toy or treat to re-direct their attention is great. Now is also a good time to work on your pups "Leave It". That way when he's older, you can tell him to Leave It and call him off things like roadkill on the side of the road, or just a spot you think he's sniffing for too long.

Remember that he's just a pup, though, and everything is new to him. :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Dogs sniff; however, I don't let Kangol sniff every little thing. I just walk in the middle of the road.... Problem solved

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Dogs sniff; however, I don't let Kangol sniff every little thing. I just walk in the middle of the road.... Problem solved
girl you trying to get hit, lol This lady in my neighborhood used to do that until she and her Husky were hit, so be careful!!! She would do that to avoid dogs behind fences, but she broke her leg and her pup was ok. People drive like jerks and might try and blame you if they hit ya.

I agree, let the dogs sniff, lol! I have always heard if you have 30 minutes for your dog to be a dog and you go 50 feet or 5 miles, it doesn't matter to the dog, he is just having fun sniffing. I will say my dog has not stopped sniffing, but he did cut down his marking while walking thanks to getting him neutered. Now he only marks like 4 times in a few miles walk, he used to mark every 20 feet before, lol.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
If my dog is on an easter egg hunt sniffing and I want him to walk...HE WALKS LOL

He will not benefit from anything by putting his nose where it shouldn't be. Don't get me wrong the dog sniffs when he wants to...but he ain't out there to sniff. He out there to walk lol I must sound like a jerk huh ;)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
If my dog is on an easter egg hunt sniffing and I want him to walk...HE WALKS LOL

He will not benefit from anything by putting his nose where it shouldn't be. Don't get me wrong the dog sniffs when he wants to...but he ain't out there to sniff. He out there to walk lol I must sound like a jerk huh ;)
nahhhh, you're just a big meanie! let your pup sniff some new smellls every now and then lol I hear you though, I only let mel have a half hour each day to be sniffing Mel, every other time outside its walking, tugging, flirt pole or spring pole, etc. No time for sniffing then :)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Well, there's a difference between Kane putting his nose where it doesn't belong and just sniffing along the route we walk. I don't let him traipse about in people's yards (cuz I'm always wondering if they're looking out their windows and what if he takes a poo in their yard, how embarrassing) and I don't let him get his nose all up in some roadkill squirrel's bum, but if he wants to sniff a pole or five, that's fine. As long as we're not stopping every 5 feet cuz I can't stand that. Then again, when I take Kane on a walk, we aren't walking TO somewhere, we're just kind of aimlessly walking around. I find it easier to let him sniff more the first couple times we walk along somewhere because then he doesn't feel the need to sniff as much afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts