Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be out of town for a few days beginning this Thursday and one of the most important questions I had was what to do with Lina while I'm gone. As I see it, the options I had are as follows:

1. Hire a petsitting service that comes to the house to watch her
  2. Take her to a doggie resort
  3. Impose on a friend to take care of her

Originally I thought the first option was the best. But after meeting with the service and reviewing their options & pricing, I'm not so sure now. I figured keeping her here at home would be the least stress on her as she would remain in an environment which she is familiar with. However, this option puts the most stress on my wallet, clocking in at over $400 for 5 days all said & done.

Then I was looking around at doggie resorts in the area. There are a few very nice ones and the people from those resorts I spoke with on the phone were very friendly and understanding of my situation. After all, they probably have heard it a million times. So after some deliberation, I decided to take her to a resort for the day to see how she would do. The test drive for the day was free, so no damage to the bank account there.

I dropped her off around 8 AM Saturday morning and picked her up around 5 PM on Saturday. When she came out, she seemed very happy & excited to be there and to see me. The ride home was decent as well. I fed her dinner that night & she seemed to be fine.

Long story short, Sunday morning I was awoken to her jumping on my bed shaking and apparently nervous. She had developed a pretty bad case of the runs and after some significant carpet cleaning, things have now seemed to have returned to normal. I chalk this unusual behavior up to stress from being at the resort for the day.

So now to the questions. Is there any way for me to help alleviate Lina's stress before, during, or after being at the resort? I believe the resort I took her to is very decent and professional. I trust them with her, but I'm most certain she's going to have some stress when she's there. Do you think the doggie resort is the best option? What are your experiences from resorts if you've taken your dog(s) there?

Sorry for the long version of the story, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for her. Thanks a bunch in advance and I look forward to your opinions and advice!

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I have been in this situation as well. I always choose my bff but you have to choose one who knows your rules about your dog and will respect that. She trusts me with her human children I trust her with my fur child :) It could cause problems for you if, god forbid, anything happens and if its not a good friend, you may end up losing the friendship. We have been tight and she knows my "rules" about other dogs and not letting him be alone with her kids. If its for a day or 2, I go with the person coming to the house, but I hear you on the money situation. But I think that's the best option. My service even has sleepovers for $50 they come from 7pm-7am, but it gets up there with 2 half hour walks and the overnight.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's the thing with the petsitters. It's $50 per night, then $20 per walk (at least 2 walks a day). For 5 days, that's over $400. I just can't afford that. And I assumed asking my friend to take care of her is out of the question. I had told him about the situation that's coming up as well as this last weekend's events. I believe that if him taking care of Lina was an option, he would've suggested it by now. Again, I don't want to impose upon him and I don't want him to feel as if he's chained to being around because he has to care for her. He's got his own family to be with, so asking him to do this just feels out of place.

So that's why I feel the doggie resort is the best and most cost effective option. I'll need to do a bit more research on how to help alleviate her stress. But I'm looking forward to additional advice. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I work at a pet resort. One thing I can suggest is bringing her own blanket/bed and something good for her to chew on. Also, bring your own food, don't let them feed their diet. The less new stuff introduced into her system, the better. If you have the time to do so, take her for a few hours a day before you leave town. See if they have a daycare or day-boarding program where you can drop her off like you did that one day. It shouldn't (in theory) cost as much as full boarding. That will give her a chance to "ease in" to the situation. We get new daycare/boarding dogs that are quivering wrecks their first visit, but after a few days they're fine.

Whatever you do is going to stress her out. A stranger coming into her home vs. being in a strange environment. Both stressful. Me personally, I'll put my stock in the people who do it for a living. They are at least going to be licensed and insured to do what they do, and should be in a position to handle emergency situations. Like at my shop, we will take boarders to the vet clinic next door if there is sickness or injury, and the owner can pre-authorize an amount cap for how much they're willing to spend on vet care. (Or they can just fill in "call first," and provide an emergency contact #.)

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you hire a petsitting service, would your friend still be able to walk her? I'm not sure if sitters would have rules on that or anything..but it could help alleviate some of the costs if you can.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the additional advice. Baha, I'll be taking quite a few items from the house to the resort for her, including the food. I realize that any of these options will cause her stress since I am not around. But it's all about minimizing the stress as much as possible. Like I said, I trust the staff at the resort and I believe they would know what to do if, God forbid, an emergency arose.

Much appreciated!

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I would pay a friend to watch her at home. Dogs can pick up stuff at daycares it is almost like a dog park disease wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts