Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am hoping to get some help here. we have a 2 1/2 yo Pit (Nitro) and last week we just bought another one...he is a Blue Nose and he is such a little sweety. His name is Blue. well...he is now 9 weeks old. We have only had him a week and we have let him sleep with us. for some reason i can't remember how we did everything with Nitro but i need some help...last night, i paid my daughter to let the puppy sleep with her so that i could get some sleep.
he only wakes up once a night, but he moves around a lot.

1. How should we move him from our bed to a crate.

2. both my husband and i work full time so both of the dogs are home all day. The puppy is crated from 7am to 3pm until my daughter gets home from school. what is recommended feeding schedule so we aren't starving him? he eats as soon as she gets home. i am afraid of him pooping - even more than the one time a day he is doing now - in his cage and having to be in that all day.

any suggestions would be great.
thanks so much
Nikki

·
Registered
106 Posts
Obviously if he is only 9 weeks old you are picking him up and setting him on your bed to sleep. I would stop that. We have a strict no dog on bed rule in our house.. it helps set boundaries. Plus, being that small I would constantly worry about rolling over on the little guy!

When I first brought my pup home at 8 weeks we set up a little dog bed in the kitchen and put up a baby gate so he couldn't roam the house and have accidents or chew on anything. He would whine, yes.. but it didn't take too long for him to feel comfortable sleeping by himself rather than his littermates and mom.

When a dog is that young they need to go outside often. I took a vacation from work when I brought my dog home to make sure I could do this.

Perhaps take him out in the morning of course to go potty.. and if possible I would suggest coming home on your lunch hour for another potty break, and of course soon after your daughter will be home to let him out again.

Also, make sure the crate isn't too large for the puppy.. If it's the right size he wont want to make a mess in his space. If it's too large I found he doesnt mind making a poo in the opposite corner he lays in. To fix that, we bought a large cage to save money, but also a cage boundary wall.. it basically linked on to the cage so you can make the cage small and gradually build it up as the puppy grows.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
You are saying that he's in a crate already while you're gone so adjusting shouldn't be hard. Just make it a fun experience for h. Feed him in it, play with him in it. Our new puppy has picked up on our schedule pretty well. When we go to bed, he goes in the crate and immediately lays down and goes to sleep. He still whines sometimes, but it's getting less and less each day.

For feeding I feed ours about 3 times a day. Just pour some in the bowl and let him eat until he's done. I like to free feed puppies basically but with my other two we can just leave food out so he goes in 3 times to eat. Our feed time is when I get up which is about 6-615, then again at lunch time around 1130-1200 and then about 6 again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had the same problem with my pups, my boyfriend wanted the to sleep with us as soon as we got them... It lasted a week lol

But putting the in the crate at night they would whine for HOURS! Quick fix was a radio and/or a blanket over the crate. They are so much better now. I say bedtime and walk into "their" room they go straight into their crates and sit they get a milkbone and they lay down with no problem!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
mu pups about to drive me crazy haha its hher first night at her new home and i have a large box i have her in until i can get to my house and get a crate (staying with grandparents grandpa had a a stroke helping take care of him) she was staying outside at her past home shes only 5 and a half weeks her mother died i found she does better in the dark like if i put something over the box rather than leave it open

1 - 5 of 5 Posts