Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 6 month old pit bull mix. He has always been great around people up until 2 months ago, he decided he didn't like strangers he will try to run up and bark and growl at anyone and everyone, last month I was going to enter him into a socialization class at pet smart but didn't have enough but now I have a job again and have just enough to put him in the class. But I am scared to do it because he has seemed to get worse, and I dont want people thinking bad of him, he is such a great dog and really smart picks up on everything really quickly well besides this. Does anyone have tips as to how I can work with him at home. I did teach him the leave it command which he does ok with inside he will growl a little when someone walks by and bark sometimes but I tell him to leave it a few times and he will eventually come lay down next to me, when he lays down next to me I pet him and tell him good boy. When he is outside it's a whole different story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have to go to work now. Someone please give me some advice, I have had many dog's and loved training them all but I have never had a barking and growling problem before so I am trying to find some helpful tips as how to help him.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If he isn't listening to the "leave it" command outisde of your house then you need more work on that. I can take my dogs for walks and tell her leave it and she will do as I say no matter what's in front of her. I would work on that and even take him to a socialization class to help his confidence with ppl. But is he acting very aggressive towards ppl? Because that could be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Post this in either the General Discussion forum or the training section. This section is for if you're having problems using the site itself.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I moved it :)
Splendiferous!

Now on to the problem at hand. These are tough things to try to "diagnose" over the internet as none of us can see what's going on. You'll probably get all different kinds of advice about this.

He could be fearful or protective or genuinely aggressive or all three! These are the kinds of problems that are probably best dealt with "hands on".

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Splendiferous!

Now on to the problem at hand. These are tough things to try to "diagnose" over the internet as none of us can see what's going on. You'll probably get all different kinds of advice about this.

He could be fearful or protective or genuinely aggressive or all three! These are the kinds of problems that are probably best dealt with "hands on".
lol I think it's funny you didn't post until it was moved to the correct location! Do you have forum OCD too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts