Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 125lbs male Pitbull/Can Corso, and I wish I knew more about how I could have raised him better, but I did my best and love him very much. He has a huge head and is very strong. He used to run around with smaller dogs and big dogs fine. Around 16 months he started growling and barking at men and other dogs. He played with a neighboors dalmation every week or so untill one day they were both neer a toy and he just bit the crap out of that dalmation. This is when I first experienced what my dog can do at 100%, the jaw locked on and he wouldn't let go, I was giving it everything I had trying to get him off I don't remember exactly it's all a haze but I know I was pulling as hard as I could and hitting his nose as hard as I could with punched and knees and it literally did nothing he was like brick (I know I didn't handle it well), honestly I had no idea what to do at that point he was going to kill that dog he was just playing with 20 seconds ago. Luckily the neighboors friend ran out and (is this a thing???) stuck her finger in my dogs butt and he let go.

So I took him to a dog training/socialing class but it was full of small - medium fluffy dogs, the class quickly turned into Rufus in the corner while the rest of the class is involved because everyone was terrified of him, and then some private time for my dog after. After about 5 classes a newcomer came in with a very small terrier mix, they came up quickly behind me and before I knew it that little dog was in my dogs mouth, but he didn't get a good grip and was I got him off quick. We had to muzzle rufus for the rest of the class. I just didn't feel comfortable in that class anymore and pulled out.

I admit, I take fault for not trying harder to socialize him in the last year (he's about 3 now), but honestly I'm a little terrified of his power, I'm 6ft 180lbs and can handle my own, I can control him fine on walks and on a leash, but when he gets a dog in close quarters and he goes 100% I have nothing on him, I just do my best. My only option is to muzzle him around if I was to attempt socializing him, but I don't think I would ever take the muzzle off, I don't trust him he bites dogs he was just playing with because they looked at him a certain way.

So last weekend we went on a cabin trip and I decided to bring him, I keep him on a short leash 100% of the time I can't have him wondering off. Pleasantly he was fine on the trip becuase their were no dogs around, the problem was the day we left for the trip. I was at my girlfriends house and we were loading up the truck, he was in the back goofin aroung so I took him out and tied him to a tree in her yard while we loaded up. I swear the very first time I came out with some stuff their was a loose husky that had wondered into the yard, they were 6 feet away and stairing eachother down. I thought I'd walk over slowly talking in a happy voice instead of barrel over hoping he would take it easy. NOPE. The husky came up, the did the standing parrallel to eachother thing, looked eachother in the eye, and that husky was in his mouth good. Again in a haze of adrenaline I just dove in, grabbed his head to try and pry him off. I got my finger caught in his jaw and he got me good, broke my middle finger and 2 narly puncture wounds. Went to the cabin with a broke finger. At this point I'm feeling it's becoming to stressful, I will never get rid of him or anything like that he is family and a great dog at home ofcourse, I just can't take him anywhere.

What do I do, I just don't feel I would ever let him get to close to other dogs without a muzzle, even if he was playing with them fine for days and days weeks, months... I would be pretty nervous to take it off.

As for people he's fine with women all the time, he a little iffy around some men ofcouse if he is tied up and a atranger comes in the house he goes bonkers. He will definetly have a go at a man walking on his territory uninvited. But when I have people over for drinks I let him out after he has calmed down and had a chance to watch everyone he doesn't seem to have a problem with people in that regard.

I feel bad because I wish I knew more about what to have done earlier, I certainly could have done better I admit that but I always had good intentions, but It kinda pisses me off when people who have never owned a dog with his kind of power (everyone I know) tell me I should just socialize him more, I'm like "you try it!!!." So I came here...

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
The X that he is you have to expect that an not punish him or "whish your trained him better" because its in the dogs nature to be DA and AA.

And that on is one BIG dog. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Pit bulls are naturally DA like MISSAPT said and the CC are a guardian breed aren't they? That's a volatile mix right there.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/38109-socializing.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html

On both sides of the gene pool in your dog (if it truly is a mix of these breeds) DA is present, APBT was perfected around the [] in history, while illegal today DA and other traits in association are still present. That said, when you cross two breeds like what you have unless there is a specific goal in mind and not a first generation litter of the cross, its highly unpredictable as to what traits and genes will be thrown in the mix to create each individual pup. Generally though all the dominate features in both dogs are usually evident. DA being one of them that is almost always passed along if an APBT is involved. HA can be another from the CC side of the gene pool depending on how well these dogs were bred.

As to your dog grabbing a hold of another dog, you need to invest in a break stick and learn how to properly use one. Even though your dog is a cross and not a "full on" bulldog it will come in handy for a safe and proper method of breaking up if another scruff or full blown fight reoccurs. DA can present itself in all sorts of situations, often (not always) the real reason is unknown. I will say, your dogs jaw did not "lock" as there is NO "mechanism" to create this. Bulldogs and other breeds with similar gene pools will grab hold and thrash. This can be considered "unique" in the aspect the over all population of dog breeds out there generally bite, release bit release. A bulldog on the other hand, will grab and hold. There is no "locking".

IMO it sounds like you are beating yourself up so i don't want to sound harsh however it doesn't sound like you were prepared to own this type of dog. Both CCs (working stock) and APBT (not AmBullies, ASTs, etc) are both very serious dogs that need a taught, experienced and confident handler. Not many people can say they can truly handle these type of dogs, with that said i do hope you stay here and learn as much as you possibly can about the do's, don'ts and behavior.

Thats all i have time for right now but im sure PK, Sadie or someone else will chime in with more information for you.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Pit bulls are naturally DA like MISSAPT said and the CC are a guardian breed aren't they? That's a volatile mix right there.
Yep they are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO it sounds like you are beating yourself up so i don't want to sound harsh however it doesn't sound like you were prepared to own this type of dog.
I can agree with that, he is mostly fine in day to day life, easy to walk stays right on my left side, I have trained him pretty good that way, he does all his tricks well, although if he sees a squirrel or something nothing I can say will stop him from going bonkers.

To everyone else: thanks you for your quick responses. I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy and my dog does have some of these natural tendencies that he will always possess. People try to make it out like my dog should act like a collie or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On both sides of the gene pool in your dog (if it truly is a mix of these breeds)
Yes he is a mix of a full American pitbull male that was white, and a full Cane Corso female blue.

This can be considered "unique" in the aspect the over all population of dog breeds out there generally bite, release bit release. A bulldog on the other hand, will grab and hold. There is no "locking".
I know I just meant he clamps on and doesn't let go, one bite.

How do I upload some pics of him on this thread???

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
To everyone else: thanks you for your quick responses. I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy and my dog does have some of these natural tendencies that he will always possess. People try to make it out like my dog should act like a collie or something.
i think any dog could have prey drive. i wouldnt exactly call it animal aggression. if you take a small breed dog and wave it in front of a grey hound then let the small dog go the grey hounds liable to chase it, doesnt mean its "aggressive". any who you just need to prepare yourself a little more imo. im sure you've done a dam good job training your dog thus far but you need to prepare yourself, one of the mods redog and his dog bob (i gotta find a thread for you by him) and he says he is always prepared with his dog when he goes out with him "Bob never leaves the yard without a muzzle, prong backed up by a slip collar along with his e collar. I never leave the yard with Bob without my stick." stick would mean break stick incase theres a fight. ill post the thread im thinking about when i find it. until them food for thought. hopefully if i dont find it some one else knows the thread im talking about.

heres a different thread on how to try to handle a dog aggressive dog while you wait http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/38648-scare-my-life.html

edit
good news found it this is a thread on prong collars http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/37887-do-you-prefer.html but check out redog on page 4

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Well you came to the right place! There are a lot of threads on how to work with your dog in a variety of areas to get a well behaved family members. A couple threads have been linked, so I would read through those and then research into the breeds your dog is mixed with to fully understand what you are working with.

People do expect the average dog to act like a collie or lab, but knowing that you do not have those breeds and they are different in behavior is very important.. Breeds need to be accepted for what they are and handled and trained as fit for that breed. You can have a perfectly well behaved dog, but it will take an understanding of the breeds involved to get there.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
research into the breeds your dog is mixed with to fully understand what you are working with.

People do expect the average dog to act like a collie or lab, but knowing that you do not have those breeds and they are different in behavior is very important.. Breeds need to be accepted for what they are and handled and trained as fit for that breed. You can have a perfectly well behaved dog, but it will take an understanding of the breeds involved to get there.
didnt iron cross kennels mix their dogs with corsos? if thats correct id try to find some one with a i.c.k. dog and talk to them

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
didnt iron cross kennels mix their dogs with corsos? if thats correct id try to find some one with a i.c.k. dog and talk to them
It would be much better to talk to reputable people who are experienced with these breeds in true forum.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Find a trainer in your area to work with, problems like that need the supervision of someone who knows what they are doing. The class you took him too sounds like the trainer did not know how to handle DA. If you need help finding another trainer pm me and I can see who I can find in your area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. Here's a pic of mine with our cat. See he loves the cat she sleeps on his head, but it took a while for him to not stair at her intensly like he's gona pounce. A good 2 months of work to get him use to the cat. I have no doubt I could raise a dog with him, but I don't think i'll be getting one anytime soon, this ones more than enough. I don't really know anyone with dogs to socialize him with.

Attachments

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
If I can do this, you can do this too. you"ll get tons of encouragement here
..is this bcuz of his aggression...and he is just very stubborn? ..im jus curious?

btw...what is "DA" ...Dominate Attitude??? lol..jus guessing

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Dog Aggressive lol :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
..is this bcuz of his aggression...and he is just very stubborn? ..im jus curious?

btw...what is "DA" ...Dominate Attitude??? lol..jus guessing
Redog has a Bandog, which is a working dog breed. I won't go into full detail as this isn't the thread for it but they are serious dogs, guardian breed.

I also have a Bandog, i haven't talked to him too much about his dog but i have to muzzle when going to the vet due to HA and DA. (both my dogs are DA, leash reactive, etc)

Aside from this i generally use 2'' collar + prong on walks or out, don't have to worry about muzzling as i don't go to places that are heavy traffic areas for both people and dogs. Other dogs are the biggest issue as HA is very controllable (at least for me) through my methods and training.

Hope this makes sense, going on maybe 30 minutes of sleep.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Not at all. Getting him neutered will not prevent DA.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts