Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have two pitbull puppies that are about 11 months old and litter mates (brothers). They are both boys and they are both neutered. I have been routinely working with them ever since they were 6 months old (due to their attention span, but its gotten better). They know sit and lat down, but sometimes they don’t want to listen or they will listen until I’m not watching then they’ll disobey. My fiancé and I both give them commands, but I’m more the one who works with them and gives them affection. I need some tips on how I can better their knowledge of obedience and make it actually stick. I want to teach them how to come the first time they are called, and to stay. Also jumping is a big thing with them too, especially when people come over. I also need some suggestions on how to get my fiancé more interested in giving them attention and affection.
I have to separate them when I’m working with them because they get each other too excited and I can’t handle both of them when they’re at that energy level. When I do separate them, they’re attention span is still pretty short because they’re wondering where their brother is. I do have a clicker and have tried clicker training, but they don’t really get the hang of it. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or they just need double time on obedience training. I make sure I don’t get frustrated and keep calm and don’t keep the sessions too long. Can someone help me?! Please and thank you. :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not a expert but I have owned dogs my whole life and I always have the nicest, well trained dogs. I find that if you give them a lot of exercise and play they become much easier to work with. I have a spring rope for my Pit that he really loves and gives him a lot of exercise. I also roller blade and walk my dogs about 3-4 miles almost everyday since my Rotty doesn't like the spring rope much.
When people come to my home I have taught my dogs to stay back from the door. I did that by using a strong voice and letting them know I am serious. Never open the door til the dogs are under control. You have to be a dominant pack leader. If you keep on them on a regular basis and not let things slide that annoy you or you don't approve of before you know it they will be minding you and their behavior will change. Be firm, loving and repetitious.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I am also no expect, lol. How long are your training sessions? Typically they loose attention after 10-20 minutes. So doing that each day should be enough. I also agree with the exercise it really helps. Also, as your dogs get older they may not like each other, and I now you mentioned they were crated when you are not there, that's a great thing. As they grow you may find they need to be crated and rotated if they start to not get along as much.

Are you bale to show them their brother is in the crate, and then take the other out and train so he knows the other is not off having fun? Have you tried that? then swap them out, but they each know the other is away. Not sure how you are doing it now.

Same with the jumping, not sure what your doing. Have you tried to turn and ignore them when entering a room until they are calm? If you cross your arms and turn your back and stand still until he realizes your not going to touch or say hi to him and he eventually calms down or sits, then you can greet him and be all happy to see him.

Also, Do you have a bed or a spot on your house that is their own? I trained my dog to go to his bed so whenever people arrive or he is too excited. This gives him something to do when something scary or unnerving happens (like a person coming to the door) He knows he is safe on his bed and once the person come in, I then call him off to go say hi and if he stays calm he gets to say hi, if not he starts to be too excited he was back on his bed until I called him off again.

I have also had some people say to jam you knee into their chest when they jump up, knee them hard (not super hard) but enough to get them to realize it not accepted to jump and the knee to chest will happen when they do jump. They key is to not reward the behavior and to not give in EVER. Consistency is key.

You also need to get your girlfriend to do the same things. maybe not to the extent you do, but if she lives with or is around them as much as you, they need to respect her as well. Maybe she could help train one while you work with the other?

·
Registered
776 Posts
honestly , positive reinforcement with increasing intervals .
when they do what they are told , give them a treat .. making them hold the command longer and longer . i generally start to trade the food for praise after a bit . You can use a little negative reinforcement via a prong collar along with the positive. Too much yelling will make them indifferent .

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
honestly , positive reinforcement with increasing intervals .
when they do what they are told , give them a treat .. making them hold the command longer and longer . i generally start to trade the food for praise after a bit . You can use a little negative reinforcement via a prong collar along with the positive. Too much yelling will make them indifferent .
:goodpost: I taught my dog to come to me with some kibble as a treat...and being very repetetive until it sunk in his brain that when I call his name or I say "come here" he knows that his cue. Like posted above, I also weened from "treats to praise".

Also to "stay" I did it with his food. I would lay his food down and tell him to sit and wait until I said eat. At first he would try to drag me over to the food but I just held his collar with a repetetive "stay" command. Until he realized that he wasnt going to move until I said eat...so he learned "stay" lol

Once I felt he was doing well with a short distance I expanded it. Now I tell him to sit and stay in the kitchen, I then walk to the family room which is out of his sight about 20feet away and he wont come unless I say "come" or "eat"

my next step is to practice with distractions...
good luck hope this helps :woof:

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Your pups need more time apart if they can't get through a training session without looking for the other brother.

This is common when people get two littermate pups together. They don't make the pups spend enough time separate from each other and the pups start developing a dependency on each other. It can get so bad that the two puppies will freak out if they're separated even for a couple of minutes.

So from now on, take your pups out separately and make a point to do things with them alone (just you and the one pup). This helps to develop their confidence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts