Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a breeder at a local dog show with some beautiful dogs. He had an upcoming breeding and I put my name on the list for a puppy.

Fast forward, the puppy is almost 6 weeks old now. The breeder is saying that the puppy has been done with the mother for a week now and some of the litter mates have already gone home with their owners and I can take mine anytime.

Apparently the pup is not just done feeding off the mom, but they arent even interested in each other. Is this normal? Should the pup and mother not be interacting? Should they be being encouraged to interact to teach manners, socialization, etc?

Just looking for opinions/advice from people more informed than me. Thanks in advance.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
i hear sometimes as soon as the pups are weaned the mom doesn't want too much else to do with the pups. BUT the pups should still be kept for AT LEAST another 2 weeks for sibling socialization and manners. I wouldn't take a dog from them at that age.

Reactions: JoKealoha

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
If the breeder is trying to get you to take a six week old pup, and has already homed several of the litter, politely decline and keep up your search for a responsibly bred pup, because that breeder isn't.
Your instincts are right, feeding isn't the only thing pups get from mom and littermates at that age.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I personally like geting my puppies at about 6 weeks from breeders even if the breeders are not ready to give them out yet I get special consideration. I would rather start working on them young than get bad habits with the breeder. Now my pups that I breed are weaned at about 3-4 weeks as my bitches want nothing more to do with them. They separated from mom for about 3 weeks till she dries up then occasionally she can go out to play with the pup. There is so much ignorance around what happens if a pup is take too early from the mom that is makes me laugh sometimes to read. People will say the pup will not be good, it will not learn bite inhibition, and so and so on. I always will take my pup young so I can mold it into what I want it to be. It has to do with the up bringing in the puppy. The dogs I got at 5-6 weeks have gone on to be multiple Champions in different working sports, I see no ill effect in the dogs I breed or in the dog itself. You can ask multiple people on here who have dogs from me.

Now as a breeder myself I keep my pups till about 12 weeks so I can test for working potential since I like to keep some if not most of what I breed. I do think 6 weeks is a little young to really tell what the dog will be, you're better off waiting till around 8 weeks so you can see temperament and structure. But if you get a pup at 6 weeks you should be perfectly fine in raising the little guy.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
I personally like geting my puppies at about 6 weeks from breeders even if the breeders are not ready to give them out yet I get special consideration. I would rather start working on them young than get bad habits with the breeder. Now my pups that I breed are weaned at about 3-4 weeks as my bitches want nothing more to do with them. They separated from mom for about 3 weeks till she dries up then occasionally she can go out to play with the pup. There is so much ignorance around what happens if a pup is take too early from the mom that is makes me laugh sometimes to read. People will say the pup will not be good, it will not learn bite inhibition, and so and so on. I always will take my pup young so I can mold it into what I want it to be. It has to do with the up bringing in the puppy. The dogs I got at 5-6 weeks have gone on to be multiple Champions in different working sports, I see no ill effect in the dogs I breed or in the dog itself. You can ask multiple people on here who have dogs from me.

Now as a breeder myself I keep my pups till about 12 weeks so I can test for working potential since I like to keep some if not most of what I breed. I do think 6 weeks is a little young to really tell what the dog will be, you're better off waiting till around 8 weeks so you can see temperament and structure. But if you get a pup at 6 weeks you should be perfectly fine in raising the little guy.
:goodpost: :goodpost:

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
The pups I have on the ground now are just hitting eight weeks and they've been more or less done with the dam for a couple weeks now. They are still living in the same kennel and all but you don't see them interact nearly as much. They may play some but when mom is done goofing around she's pretty plain about it. I'll probably move her just to preserve her sanity.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I would rather start working on them young than get bad habits with the breeder. Now my pups that I breed are weaned at about 3-4 weeks as my bitches want nothing more to do with them. They separated from mom for about 3 weeks till she dries up then occasionally she can go out to play with the pup. There is so much ignorance around what happens if a pup is take too early from the mom that is makes me laugh sometimes to read
Actually, the psychological and developmental stages of puppies is a solid scientific fact. You, as a knowledgeable and long time breeder/trainer/handler/raiser, may be able to replicate situational and environmental stimuli to achieve what you like and raise healthy puppies. Generally, people who are asking what age to get a pup (or who are trying to sell puppies to people who are not versed in puppy socialization and development) do NOT fall into the same catagory as you do and should be taken into account when dispensing advice.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Actually, the psychological and developmental stages of puppies is a solid scientific fact. You, as a knowledgeable and long time breeder/trainer/handler/raiser, may be able to replicate situational and environmental stimuli to achieve what you like and raise healthy puppies. Generally, people who are asking what age to get a pup (or who are trying to sell puppies to people who are not versed in puppy socialization and development) do NOT fall into the same catagory as you do and it's very poor advice, IMO
:goodpost:
I agree and was about to say the average person should get the pup this young. even if you can wait till 7 weeks I would think it is a better option. Usually the pups will still interact and play and learn within there litter. not all has to do with the mom they do have benefits with staying with the litter.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
for inexperienced owners the pros of staying with the Litter until 8weeks or later would outweigh the cons for sure. But if the dog is at the breeders without the other dogs there isn't any added benefit I would think.

PK If its hard to get an idea at 6weeks at what you are looking for and you keep the pups you breed til 12 weeks, do you just take the gamble when you get a pup off your yard? Well not a game because I am sure you know all about the history of the dog. Just curious how that works in the decision making process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts