Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an old thread here where someone asked the same question but there was never a very direct answer. I'll give a brief rundown of the story...but feel free to just skip to the direct question if you like.

Phoenix was my Mom's baby, a house dog but had a playpen outside. Last March my mom put her out to play in her playpen and went into town (she lives in the country) to run errands. She came home an hour later to find Phoenix was gone. Called the police, filed a stolen report and all of that. Then she didn't give up looking for her. Phoenix was found two and a half months later (at six months old) after my Mom played PI for the entire two and a half months. After contacting the police and several hours of "I bought this dog in the Walmart parking lot, I didn't steal her." the guy finally agreed to give my Mom her dog back. She got Phoenix home and Phoenix was like a different dog. She had been living in an auto shop on a chain that weighed like 20 pounds. Was half starved. She was food aggressive when my Mom got her home. And that was just the start. After a couple of months back home she ended up attacking my Mom's other dog, broke his leg, tore his ear off, etc. Everyone told my Mom to put her to sleep. She refused but knew that she wasn't equipped to keep Phoenix anymore. She searched and searched to find the right home for her and finally she did. A couple (older) with no children. It was a great home for Phoenix! She got her own bedroom. She was an only dog. She was with this family for about a year. Then one day my Mom got a call that they had to move across the country and that they weren't equipped to take her with them. They wanted to know if my Mom wanted her back and my Mom told them that she couldn't take her back but that she would try to help in finding the right home for her. These people gave her to an older guy friend of theirs. This guy got a girlfriend, the girlfriend hated Phoenix so she put her out on the street. She got picked up by Animal Control last week and when they scanned her, her microchip picked up my Mom's number. So, back to square one. The elderly people in who live in West Virginia would love to have her back but they don't know how to get her from Oklahoma to West Virginia quickly, cheaply, efficiently. My mom is willing to keep her for a period of time if there is a way to transport her...

I've read some about transporting by air. I did read American Airlines policy states that pitbulls aren't allowed because they are brachycephalic.

So, which airline can we use to transport her without issues? What do we need in order to get her transported? She is UTD on shots and we could get a recent vet check done.

What kind of cost (ballpark) are we looking at to one-way ship her from Oklahoma to West Virginia?

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Let me see if I can reach out toy transport peps, can you pm me your address in case we can find someone to help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aireal, I sent you a PM. Thank you so much for offering to help :) I do hope we can help this girl. She deserves to be home with her family.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
No prob, I'll try my best

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i flew my pup up here to canada from LA with alaska airline, we also flew a dog out east on west jet { not sure if thats just a canadian company or not }but try with them. If you can label the dog as something else like a lab mix or boxer lab something along those lines sometimes you can get around those rules , will just depend on who is working the desk. { we flew our pup up and the breeder put pitbull as the breed with alaska air and they flew him}

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i flew my pup up here to canada from LA with alaska airline, we also flew a dog out east on west jet { not sure if thats just a canadian company or not }but try with them. If you can label the dog as something else like a lab mix or boxer lab something along those lines sometimes you can get around those rules , will just depend on who is working the desk. { we flew our pup up and the breeder put pitbull as the breed with alaska air and they flew him}
I did just check. No Alaska Airlines that services here. And West Jet is Canadian.

Thanks for the info, though!!

And btw, I'm in love with Zeke. He looks like a teddy bear!!! All I have keeping me warm at night is a min-pin. She thinks she's big...and I never told her otherwise. I think she found out recently while she was out for a potty break and decided to pick a fight with my neighbor's pitbull through the fence. She came back whining with big tears in her eyes. Haha. (She was unharmed...just scared to death).

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts