Go Pitbull Forums banner

Need MAJOR help before I'm forced to give him away

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  surfer 
#1 ·
So It's been a couple weeks now that I have had my puppy. I am having such a hard time crate training him and potty training him! He has been the hardest puppy ever. I hate to say it but I'm starting to get a little frustrated. A puppy has never given me this much of a hard time. He REFUSES to go in the crate. He fights me when I try to put him in there, he pushed away. I have tried to put him in there for short amount of times then reward him with treats. It DOESNT work. Now I'm trying to feed him in the crate and leaving the door open and he still wont go completely in to eat, only half way. When I do put him in there he BARKS NON STOP! FOR HOURS! I'm not even joking. I've had that puppy that cry for the first ten minutes and then falls asleep BUT MY PUPPY MICHA DOES NOT, HE DOESNT EVEN LAY DOWN IN THE CRATE. HE SITS THE WHOLE TIME. I've put treats in there, toys, something that smells like me, a dog bed. A blanket over. I NEED TO FIND A SOLUTION OR I WILL BE FOCED TO GIVE HIM UP. It's so bad that one day i left him in the crate for two hours while I was in class and Animal Control was called. My landlord lives on the property SO I CAN NOT HAVE MICHA BARKING. The reason for crate training him is because he goes potty EVERYWHERE and he is messing up my wood floors bad. Please help, I would hate to give him up. I don't know what else to do. He seems to be very shy and only follows me, I socialize him on the daily and he doesn't always want to go with anyone else but me. Sounds like separation anxiety to me.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
sounds like he is developing separation anxiety for sure.

I am lousy at trying to explain 'training' methods.

I hope someone more wordy and experienced can explain a few things to you that may help put you and your pup on the right track.

consistency and little steps works best when a problem has developed.

also, maybe do some googling/researching on problems with crate training, separation anxiety and potty training.

I hope things get better for you two.

Hugz to your pup.

he sounds like a wild and crazy dude. I like him. :)

#3 ·
I've researched it on other threads here and also on yahoo but all i could find is the same things I've tried. The only things I haven't tried are the spray collars and de-barking. I really really DO NOT want to de-bark him. But if it comes down to it, I might consider the collar. I bought him a soothing, calming, collar but it doesn't help. I'll be returning that back lol.

#4 ·
What are your other options? Crate and running loose cant be the only two, for sure. Can you gate him into a bathroom? Put an eye bolt in the wall and tether? Outdoor kennel? My personal inclination is to persevere in the crate department, but sometimes you have to compromise. Anything is better than giving him up after a few weeks.

Feeding in the crate is a good start. I feed my dogs in their crates from day one, and save high-value chews only for crate time. Also, if he has a favorite blanket or bed, put that in the crate so he's as comfortable as possible.

Good luck! Hopefully creative minds will see this and throw their ideas into the ring.

#6 ·
Yes, I've tried gating him as well. He jumps over it. I've also placed the gate a little higher but still jumps over. He truly is an escape artist. Couple days ago i went to visit my mom, i left Micha in her backyard (Which is gated and locked. About 5 1/2 feet) My mother and I went to buy some pizzas and by the time we got back Micha was in front of the house sitting. (I guess waiting for me lol) Very cute but totally don't know how he got out because there are no holes in the yard. I was pretty amazed because I used to have a two year old pitbull and never once did she escape. I don't have backyard, I live in an apartment so not outside stuff. I've tried to give him his treats and toys in crate but he REFUSES to lay down in his crate and play with his toys and bones. But maybe I will try locking him in the bathroom? I just think he will still bark. Right now de-barking would work wonders but I'll be moving soon, by the end of the year hopefully and also i feel it would be wrong of me to do because i personally wouldn't want MY voice to be gone.

#7 ·
I have not tried the thunder shirt yet. I have only tried the "soothing" and "Calming" scent collar but It is not working. I will look in to the thunder shirt. I have tried the Kong but I have put bully sticks in his crate, he wont touch it nor his toys. Only they are outside his crate.

#9 ·
I have seen pups jump out of 8 foot fences with a sloped top. It happens. Sorry your having so many issues. The vet could prescribe anti anxiety meda if the thunder shirt doesn't work.

Is it a metal crate? Can you change to plastic? Does it have a blanket in it? Or is he a chewer?

Sent from Petguide.com App

#11 ·
How much exercise is this puppy getting? When his in the house leash him so he can't sneak away and potty. How old is he? Puppies need to be tired out so when they are crated they sleep. If he is getting treats all day long he will go to the bathroom more as well. Feeding in the crate is good. I would put the food in it and then him and shut it. What size and type crate does he have? This is why I get adult dogs lol. I am not a fan of all the things that come with puppy raising unless I have had them since day one as my own lol.

#12 ·
your doing everything wrong... you know that or you would have more success.. EMPTY your head and start by takin in the tips given here ^^^^^^ then go to some of the places where I talk about crate training Im sure (Firehazard, crate training) will pop up.. take those and do those appropriatly combined with the tips you've been given here and on the training sticky; you and your pup should prevail and kick it off brand new... whole new mind set new dog.. clean everything spotless.. give em a bath.. take em on a walk after he goes :poop: twice bring em home put em in the clean crate, with a good chew toy like a kong ball.. well in the GPB search box input that search and you'll see where I step by step others in the same stuff.

Best of wishes to you and your :pup:

REMEMBER!! most of all brand new attitude like its all the first day and knock it out..

#13 ·
Try the thunder shirt, I have an almost 6 month old apbt an he was very vocal and barked almost all day and night unless he was sleeping l. Put the thunder shirt on him and within 20 min he was a completely different dog. He has had it on almost non stop except for when he is sleeping and he is doing 100% better. As a matter of fact he's laying on my lap sleeping as I type this... Something he would have never done before. It's very frustrating but you took this animal in and you can't give up on it. Try the thunder shirt, they are easy to find and worth trying.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#14 ·
Trying this method

Now it might sound funny and silly BUT it's been working all day. So I got to thinking, there really has to be something else i can do (cause i really enjoy having Micha around, the only downfall is barking, peeing, the crate and i don't want to give him away) so anyway, i decided to put diapers on him. Cut a whole on a baby diaper and put one on him. (I used to do that with my female dog when she was in heat) and it's been working out wonderful! I left Micha at my moms house while I took my nephew to the library to read some books and she said he pooped and peed on the diaper and he didn't attempt to rip it off. So anyway when i got back from the libray Micha and I went home and he's been going to the door (He will walk around the door or sit by it or come sit next to me and simply look at me) I'm thinking it's because maybe he doesn't want to poop or pee on the diaper and have to sit or lay on it so he's being the smart puppy he is and trying to alert me. So far it's going great. I don't know why i didn't think of this before. I'm glad it's working so far because now that i don't have to worry about him urinating on the floor, i don't have to crate train him which will eliminate the barking. I'm currently detail cleaning my apartment so i can have a "fresh" start with him. Earlier this morning he peed on my bed (I was completely shocked cause he's NEVER done that before) so i have to get everything wash and hopefully start training all over again. Meanwhile I'll still to the diapers. Note: He has a metal crate.Size large (It was my previous dogs crate but i use the divider for him since it's too big) If things don't get better i will look into a plastic crate. I will also be buying the thunder shirt. I will also look into anxiety medicine. I honestly do think thats what it is because he follows me room to room, like a shadow lol. I have no issues when he is with me, doesn't bite, doesn't bark, doesn't get hyper, it's just when im gone. I hope to keep seeing positive things.

#16 ·
Now it might sound funny and silly BUT it's been working all day. So I got to thinking, there really has to be something else i can do (cause i really enjoy having Micha around, the only downfall is barking, peeing, the crate and i don't want to give him away) so anyway, i decided to put diapers on him. Cut a whole on a baby diaper and put one on him. (I used to do that with my female dog when she was in heat) and it's been working out wonderful! I left Micha at my moms house while I took my nephew to the library to read some books and she said he pooped and peed on the diaper and he didn't attempt to rip it off. So anyway when i got back from the libray Micha and I went home and he's been going to the door (He will walk around the door or sit by it or come sit next to me and simply look at me) I'm thinking it's because maybe he doesn't want to poop or pee on the diaper and have to sit or lay on it so he's being the smart puppy he is and trying to alert me. So far it's going great. I don't know why i didn't think of this before. I'm glad it's working so far because now that i don't have to worry about him urinating on the floor, i don't have to crate train him which will eliminate the barking. I'm currently detail cleaning my apartment so i can have a "fresh" start with him. Earlier this morning he peed on my bed (I was completely shocked cause he's NEVER done that before) so i have to get everything wash and hopefully start training all over again. Meanwhile I'll still to the diapers. Note: He has a metal crate.Size large (It was my previous dogs crate but i use the divider for him since it's too big) If things don't get better i will look into a plastic crate. I will also be buying the thunder shirt. I will also look into anxiety medicine. I honestly do think thats what it is because he follows me room to room, like a shadow lol. I have no issues when he is with me, doesn't bite, doesn't bark, doesn't get hyper, it's just when im gone. I hope to keep seeing positive things.
That is just avoiding training your dog.

#15 · (Edited)
Yeah that's not a solution IMO. Can you change the crate and see if that helps? He can eat the diaper or tear it off, or eat your tv remote or shoes other stuff being loose in the house unsupervised without manners (and I say no manners since he can't stay in the crate) should be allowed. More freedom ain't the answer IMO but I'm glad you're looking into other options. Don't baby him. Male him do it or he will walk all over you when he is older. Peeing on your bed means he isn't allowed on your bed.

Have you ears of NILIF?

Sent from Petguide.com App

#17 ·
You have a boat load of work to do with your dog! I understand you like having him around..and you don't want to just give him away....but you really need to step up and get a handle on this stuff before these "puppy issues" become "big dog issues". Like Dr Firehazard has suggested, forget everything you think you know and read up on crate training, house breaking and puppie training. Go to the blue menu bar above and click search. It's all here at your fingertips

#18 ·
Try this

Ive had a few that never liked they crate what I would do is make the crate yours not his.... Don't use it as punishment... When I had one like yours I would take the crate and sit in there with him.... I sit in there first then call him and he would come to me inside the crate chill with him for a few then leave .... Some are more difficult then others I'd move the crate around to different places and sit in there with him both get out move the crate to another corner and sit back in there get him used to it.... After a few times some get it once but eventually he will start to put us own toys in there and chill out cuz he will feel like it is a safe place ...,, this also worked for older dogs who never been crated.... Neone else ever do this????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.