Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a missing dog, going on two days now. We live in the country. He's been spotted a few times by neighbors. Problem is, he will not come to anyone but my daughter. He runs if approached. Everytime he's spotted she goes to the spot but he's already gone and isn't coming when she calls. Should we wait until maybe he gets hungry enough to come out and just keep quietly looking, or should some of them get together on four wheelers and flashlights and go look for him. I say this is a bad idea because it's gonna make him run further from home. And he's already not going to come to them even if they spot him. He is already about a half mile from home on these spottings. However, we are worried about cyotes and such also getting him at night. He is a Papillion (small dog)

· RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,384 Posts
Don't chase him. That will make him run. You have to figure out how to lure him to you, whether that be using your daughter, food, toys, etc.

I don't think I would chase him w/ 4-wheelers. That would probably scare the crap out of him.

Maybe tape your daughter calling him & give all searchers a copy to play. He'll hear her voice & @ least come into sight. Then, lure him in.

· Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Wow, don't like to hear this;( Just keep searching, a half a mile isn't bad at all. If you have a few friends to help I would try to surround the last area and enclose in on him. Tough call, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

· Banned
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks all, we are sitting here together and she just hates not doing anything until morning. My opinion is to leave him alone at night because people with flashlights or four wheelers is only going to scare him. I think the search and surround idea is good early in the morning on foot.

I just worry about coyotes or wolves or something getting him at night. He is a small small little dog

· Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Thanks all, we are sitting here together and she just hates not doing anything until morning. My opinion is to leave him alone at night because people with flashlights or four wheelers is only going to scare him. I think the search and surround idea is good early in the morning on foot.

I just worry about coyotes or wolves or something getting him at night. He is a small small little dog
Maybe keep the garage door or something open with his food in there because he may decide to double back at night. Set the alarm to wake up a few times thru the night ( I know, not fun) and check outside, a pair of eyes caught in the beam of a flashlight would be easy to spot. Just rambling.

· Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I would start about three miles out and work your way in and may be if nothing else is will spook him home.

· Banned
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GREAT NEWS! My daughter said she sat her alarm for four am to go look, her husband told her "it's still dark at that time" so she said set it for five then. About four a.m someone barked at the front door and it was Oreo!! HE FOUND HIS OWN WAY HOME!!!

· Dare to dance the tide
12,407 Posts
Great News!!! So glad he is back home.

When I was oung my mom gave away my dog Onxy. We had so many dogs as we were really do alot of rescues and Mom thought Onxy would be better off someplace else. Well these people didn't even tell my mom when he ran off. My mom went out to their place for a 2week check up. We search for weeks and weeks. We thought he was in the woods but he wouldn't come. my mom would sit out there everyday for a few hours. We left food. Well this has a happy ending it was 3months later he finally came up to my mom one morning. I woke up to Onxy bouncign around the yard and playing with his brother. Onxy died at the ripe old age of 25yrs.

· Registered
154 Posts
Great News!!! So glad he is back home.

When I was oung my mom gave away my dog Onxy. We had so many dogs as we were really do alot of rescues and Mom thought Onxy would be better off someplace else. Well these people didn't even tell my mom when he ran off. My mom went out to their place for a 2week check up. We search for weeks and weeks. We thought he was in the woods but he wouldn't come. my mom would sit out there everyday for a few hours. We left food. Well this has a happy ending it was 3months later he finally came up to my mom one morning. I woke up to Onxy bouncign around the yard and playing with his brother. Onxy died at the ripe old age of 25yrs.
25 years? A dog? Amazing =O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.